Ableton please give us back our waveform zoom

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Does this need to be addressed?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:27 am

No, the new way sounds cool.
18%
Yes, Being able to quickly navigate waveforms is important to me.
65%
Dont care, get out more.
18%

Total votes: 79

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:53 am

Tarekith wrote:
jimmynitcher wrote:I really can't see what the fuss is about, the change is so easy to get used to - in fact its as easy as starting a panic amongst people who have no idea what you are on about - a very cheap way of drumming up support.

Not only is the zooming in a 'consistent' place but you can now select a part of the waveform and ctrl click to crop/loop etc which in my view (and a lot of others I suspect) is way better. If you put the zooming back where it was you would have to sacrifice that - believe me when you try it you won't want the old way.

If I was just using Live in the studio, I'd totally agree. But when you're using it live, it's a differetn story trying to hit that smaller area. Especially because if you're a little off, it's easy to accidentally start playback somewhere else now.
Hi,

Are you aware that there's a preference that says "permanent scrub areas". When OFF, you get a larger zoom area, and no risk of accidental scrubbing. Just in case you or others wouldn't know..

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks Amaury, that definitely helps for zooming, although then you lose the ability to launch the clip via the lower half of the waveform too. Which is one of the reasons I want to zoom in the first place.

:(

j-cuc

Post by j-cuc » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Tarekith wrote:It's just harder to hit that smaller area now, especially if you're livep. PLease let us select how we want this controlled in the prefs ala:

Sorry so sloppy, you get the idea.
no, this kind of customization would lead to a logic situation where every ones setup acts different.

on the other hand however i very much agree that the new waveform zoom area is way to small and actually feels broken now… especially since it is now even less consistant with a clip that is not warped where the whole waveform allows zooming… this is really a bad desing desicion now.

my vote here would be to establish a key to be held in order to allow zooming _anywhere_ this would also work for the arrangement where it allways annoyed me having to go up and find the zoom area even if my focus is somewhere completely differenet in the set.

so a key (ctl-shift or cmd or … ) that would change the pointer to the zoomtool anywhere in a waveform or arrangement would be good.

maomao

Post by maomao » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm

+10 on Tarekith's Prefs idea

the new zoom area is way too small and too close to the timeline

this can be bad if you miss the "zoom" part and accidentally click in the timeline, scrubbing to somewhere unwanted
http://www.soundcloud.com/maomao

"one good thing about music is when it hits you feel no pain"

rydan

Post by rydan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:49 pm

jimmynitcher wrote:Not only is the zooming in a 'consistent' place but you can now select a part of the waveform and ctrl click to crop/loop etc which in my view (and a lot of others I suspect) is way better. If you put the zooming back where it was you would have to sacrifice that - believe me when you try it you won't want the old way.
Cropping directly in clip view? That's GREAT!!!
Live + M4L, MacBookPro & Ultralite mk3. Plugins from Softube, Soundtoys, Eventide, 2CAudio, Cytomic, AudioDamage, OhmForce, FabFilter, SonicCharge, Waves, MadronaLabs, NI and ExpertSleepers. Oh, and a bunch of hardware... =D

http://www.pinknoise.se

djblewis

Re: Ableton please give us back our waveform zoom

Post by djblewis » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:04 am

Resurrecting this thread because I am desperate for an update. I can't upgrade to 8 until this is addressed.

Tarekith's suggestion is spot-on and should've been included right out of the box. Surely Ableton has been getting complaints since January -- when will this get patched in!?

NeilUK

Post by NeilUK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:49 pm

Would LOVE the ability to have the old style waveform zoom back.
Please take Tarekith's suggestion into consideration.
Currently stuck on Ableton 7 as I don't want to loose this way of viewing the waveform.

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:32 am

how about a pop up window like EQ8 that fills the screen for editing waveforms.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:51 am

I love the 6 year old threads popping backup lately. :)

romanempire

Post by romanempire » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:07 pm

okay so i already posted this in another thread. as there seem to be two threads adressing this issue.

c/p

completely agree. this is killing me.
you can use the lower part of the waveform to skip to another track area and use SHIFT+click to zoom/scroll but this is problematic for live performances - if you forget to press SHIFT or your finger slips, you accidentally skip. terrible in front of an audience.
another way to do this is to change the PERMANENT SCRUB AREA setting. then you normally scroll/zoom but have to SHIFT+click to skip inside the track. trying this out right now, maybe it is a better solution but keeps one hand occupied while skipping, which could be used on the midi controller at the same time. so not ideal.

hoping for a LEGACY FUNCTIONALITY option from Live for this one...

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:26 pm

chaibuka wrote:how about a pop up window like EQ8 that fills the screen for editing waveforms.
That's an overlay window EQ8 uses. I love the idea!

Please suggest it directly to Ableton at the Centercode site so we can vote for it. Post the link also if there is one like your suggestion at the site already.
Make some music!