Max for Live Manual

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
socketghost
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:16 pm

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by socketghost » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 pm

twisted-space wrote:It does kind of show why printed documentation isn't ideal though, 2310 pages and of course non of the links are clickable once it's printed.

There's always this. Not read it myself, £38 seems a bit steep.
That book's really good, worth the money. It's very thorough and well-written, and includes tons of patches and even some of their own MSP objects, some of which are pretty cool.

Three things though:

1) It's not exactly a book about M4L, or even Max - it's kind of more than that. It's really what it says on the tin, a book about Electronic Music Sound Design that just happens to be based on Max. It's really good though in explaining all the principles of DSP (and I mean REALLY good), which IMO is really the hard bit of learning how to use Max. I teach this stuff, so I really should know it all, but I found it filled a few gaps and certainly helped me in finding clearer ways to teach some of the harder areas.

2) This is only volume one of three volumes (the other two aren't out yet), so this is pretty deep and thorough stuff! This covers all the basics of synthesis and effects though, but not really sampling, which I think is volume 2.

3) I guess at this stage it might be worth waiting for the Max 6 version!

synnack
Posts: 2053
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: Boston, MA
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by synnack » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 pm

twisted-space wrote: There's always this. Not read it myself, £38 seems a bit steep.
That book rules!

Also curious why people post about Max for Live here and not on the "Max for Live" forum, on the same site, where people into Max for Live are more likely frequent rather than read through 1000 non-m4l posts here.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Image

i3igTripplets
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:07 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by i3igTripplets » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:10 pm

twisted-space wrote:It does kind of show why printed documentation isn't ideal though, 2310 pages and of course non of the links are clickable once it's printed.

There's always this. Not read it myself, £38 seems a bit steep.
I have that book, its freaking awesome for a Max noob such as myself. Can't wait to get M4L.

i3igTripplets
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:07 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by i3igTripplets » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:17 pm

stringtapper wrote:
Kruddler wrote:How do I actually get to the Max help?

Is there a manual? I really want to have a lot of words thrown at me to get some ideas of what Max does before I go diving to the tutorials.
It's accessed from the "Help" menu in the toolbar at the top of your screen. The Max manual is integrated into the the tutorials and the help files for each object. This is why the whole "I'm old fashioned, I need a physical book," (which I'm sympathetic to, btw) doesn't really make sense in the context of how one learns Max. Learning Max has to be a hands-on affair, and the documentation is tailored for just this. Things will be getting even better with Max 6.
Sometimes I feel like I need a white board to be honest. It helps to see how the data gets from one end to antoerh (like a rube goldberg device). I'm not good at it either tho, so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

arthur101
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:52 am
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by arthur101 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 am

demo of that sound design book here

the previous link seems to have expired

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-44984.html

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 am

There is no paper based or pdf version of m4l or max docs.

It's all online but I think there have been some attempts to produce pdfs and such from the online versions.

Electronic documentation is clearly better than paper but the problem with max and max documentation is that it's inconsistent and confusing having evolved over many years.

If you come from a programming background and expect max and m4l to be a "bit like programming in c# or c++" get ready for a big shock - it's not - at all.

The Northern Contingent
Posts: 300
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by The Northern Contingent » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Try something like "Electronic Music and Sound Design". This is a wonderful book that teaches you Max coupled with the theory that goes behind it. I'm afraid I've tried the electronic tutorials included with Max and they didn't work for me - the info just didn't stick. This is nothing to do with the tutorials themselves - they are excellent as people have said above - but that everyone learns in different ways. I'd recommend the book above to anyone looking for an alternative. Vol. 2 should be out soon too! :)

EDIT - Sorry - just seen a few others referenced this. Didn't see the comments stretching to page 2! :oops:
Last edited by The Northern Contingent on Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

S4racen
Posts: 5449
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Location: Dunstable
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:52 pm

ian_halsall wrote:There is no paper based or pdf version of m4l or max docs.

It's all online but I think there have been some attempts to produce pdfs and such from the online versions.

Electronic documentation is clearly better than paper but the problem with max and max documentation is that it's inconsistent and confusing having evolved over many years.

If you come from a programming background and expect max and m4l to be a "bit like programming in c# or c++" get ready for a big shock - it's not - at all.
The new documentation and help tools in Max 6 are lightyears ahead of max 5!!

Cheers
D

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by ian_halsall » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:21 pm

S4racen wrote:
ian_halsall wrote:There is no paper based or pdf version of m4l or max docs.

It's all online but I think there have been some attempts to produce pdfs and such from the online versions.

Electronic documentation is clearly better than paper but the problem with max and max documentation is that it's inconsistent and confusing having evolved over many years.

If you come from a programming background and expect max and m4l to be a "bit like programming in c# or c++" get ready for a big shock - it's not - at all.
The new documentation and help tools in Max 6 are lightyears ahead of max 5!!

Cheers
D
I agree they are much better but I found them confusing - I think the philosophy of the documentation in terms of parameters and lists and types and stuff is so weird for someone who is a c#/c++ programmer.

It's probably easier for someone who is a non-programmer to be honest....

arthur101
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:52 am
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by arthur101 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:50 pm

ian_halsall wrote: It's probably easier for someone who is a non-programmer to be honest....
what a relief! :D

S4racen
Posts: 5449
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:08 pm
Location: Dunstable
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:51 pm

ian_halsall wrote:
It's probably easier for someone who is a non-programmer to be honest....
Having never been on I couldn't comment on whether it's better i just know that as a non-programmer it's been an eye opener moving up to Max6, i've learnt so many simple new things that have made my life so much easier!

Cheers
D

julienb
Posts: 1795
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2005 1:15 pm
Contact:

Re: Max for Live Manual

Post by julienb » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:27 am

just for reference purpose:
https://leanpub.com/le-guide-ultime-et- ... x-for-live

english version is coming, edited/reviewed by Mark Towers, another Ableton Certified Trainer

Image

stay tuned!

Post Reply