[Max for Live] what will be the first device you'll build ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:56 am

sharing device will be the new destiny of ableton :-)

just hope they'll keep this way:
sell m4L BUT gives us/share with us devices made by artists etc..

btw, we're a lot to know max already... so, we'll make the m4liver community growing :-)
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:33 am

hoffman2k wrote:
friend_kami wrote:
nbinder wrote:...something to store MIDI controller data snapshots :D
yes please.
I already got a patch for that. I was going to incorporate it in my BCR application but that would shut it out from everybody else.
Once I released the latest version of the BCR app I'll see if I can get this out as a little application.
And although its ready for Max for Live, its probably best as an external app. Since you'll need to send MIDI to Live's remote input and that probably wont be easy if you cant use virtual midi within patches.
external or otherwise, doesnt matter. i can definetly say that i would need it though, cause that would save me alot of headache.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:58 am

I can imagine we could create a website/forum/trac/project manager in order to share infos/wiki about folks who want to participate to the big m4L community.

I already involved myself in openSource project communities
I believe in that cause I'm sure union = force !

we could work together about project of devices :P

(I just ................ bought Live7Suite :)
Julien Bayle

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:51 pm

julienb wrote:I can imagine we could create a website/forum/trac/project manager in order to share infos/wiki about folks who want to participate to the big m4L community.

I already involved myself in openSource project communities
I believe in that cause I'm sure union = force !

we could work together about project of devices :P

(I just ................ bought Live7Suite :)
I own maxforlive.com and maxforlive.org. Both could be used for something like this. However I did PM DOM and it seems likely we'll get a section of the forum dedicated to M4L and the new Live 8 "share" stuff will allow seamless sharing of M4L patches for collaboration.

So the only thing left that might be cool is a wiki as a tutorial and FAQ archive. That's what I was planning on doing with it but I'm always up for suggestions.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:55 pm

First things I will build depends on exactly how it's implemented but... I want to turn the Jitter VJ app I built into a Live device.

This would not only have a device that triggers video based on midi data, but it will also have a sister device that you put on other midi tracks so that musical automation data can be automatically (and randomly) translated to Video effects.

Other than that I'll mess with custom sequencer/lfo apps like everyone else I'm sure...
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 pm

tempus3r, if I can help, I will!
I guess you know well CMS and server scripting (php etc) so ... :wink:
Julien Bayle

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:16 pm

A simple thing I'd like to build would be something that turns clip colours black after they've been triggered once then stopped. I'd use this for livesets to get past the "have I used these clips already?" dilema I get about half an hour in. Am I the only one who can't remember what stuff they already played out sometimes?

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:30 pm

i am going to build a robut that can get beer from the beer fridge with max. that way i will not have to get out of my seat to get beer. this will allow me to concentrate on ableton more

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:54 pm

ikeaboy wrote:A simple thing I'd like to build would be something that turns clip colours black after they've been triggered once then stopped. I'd use this for livesets to get past the "have I used these clips already?" dilema I get about half an hour in. Am I the only one who can't remember what stuff they already played out sometimes?
Great idea!

lola

Post by lola » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Parametex wrote:
ikeaboy wrote:A simple thing I'd like to build would be something that turns clip colours black after they've been triggered once then stopped. I'd use this for livesets to get past the "have I used these clips already?" dilema I get about half an hour in. Am I the only one who can't remember what stuff they already played out sometimes?
Great idea!
Yea that is a cool one.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:22 pm

Machinate wrote:
Euklid.fox wrote:max is far from to be as user friendly, maybe it will change with v5, but from now what I ve seen is so amazing but so ugly and low rate refresh on the Gui aspect, am I wrong?
yes you are.
good point if im wrong! i wanted to hear that, id like to build a real speed vizual feedback interface.so max can make a button blink at let say 25hz and the gui will reshresh speed enough?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:41 pm

dude, thats a pretty clever thing id say.

Euklid.fox

Post by Euklid.fox » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:47 pm

edit wrong post

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:04 pm

Tone Deft wrote:how can we randomize the parameters in Operator, Analog, Sampler etc??

want.
Here is something that I have often thought of doing but never took the time to do. Take a Jitter object, like anything from the cv.jit bundle, and run some note outs. Attach these to parameters to live and use a visual data to modulate parameters on consistent or slightly changing tones. Record this data in the arrangement screen. FInd instances along the timeline that you like. Save the rack as different names. Make a livepack. Sell it.

Of course this can also be done using random number generators, but I feel that limiting the source is conducive.

I have used this method to produce positive results. I now use an application from a previous collaboration for similar results (as opposed to a Jitter patch), though I do not have permission to share that application, unfortunately. All of my earlier Jitter patches were lost so I can't share those either.

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:05 pm

lola wrote:
Parametex wrote:
Great idea!
Yea that is a cool one.
:D I'm not the only one then