Recording Midi Controllers

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
paull

Recording Midi Controllers

Post by paull » Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:13 pm

Hi,

I have just got hold of a UC16 midi controller set uo some templates for some of my VST Instruments (v-station, Imposcar and Z3ta+) and went to work in Live 4.09 Beta.

My problem is I do not seem to be able to record the midi controller movements, what am I doing wrong.

I set up two midi tracks one with the midi clip (with note on) and the VST, the other to recieve the controller info, set up with momitor on and the track and midi channel selected for the VST. I can hear all my glorious controller twisting, but can not record it.

What am I doing wrong?

paull

Post by paull » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:03 pm

Please help me with this.

Thanks

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:19 pm

I'm not sure. this might be a stupid suggestion and you may have already done it but do you have the global record button clicked?

paull

Post by paull » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:30 pm

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I have tried it like that, but with know luck. At the momment, I can only record controllers if they have been mapped into Live, but that means I am not able to use the controller set ups I ahve for the indidividual instruments. In Cubase I would press W (write) move some knobs and it would all be recorded. At the momment I am having to remap using the the parameters in track view and not those I have mapped to the instruments original editor panel.

Regards

Paull

Nick Maxwell

Post by Nick Maxwell » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:39 pm

I think this is just a limitation of Live. Since there are so many different ways of coding VST's, Ableton was not able to take into account each one using their existing codebase. As a result, Live only takes into account automation from it's own controls when recording. You will most likely have to spend some time remapping knobs to the Live interface to your vst's, and just save as a template. That way Live will control your knob movements properly.

I may be totally wrong on this one, but I am pretty sure one of the Abletons posted about it in the Beta Test forum a while ago.

- Nick

divonic

Post by divonic » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:45 pm

paull wrote:Thanks for responding.

Yes, I have tried it like that, but with know luck. At the momment, I can only record controllers if they have been mapped into Live, but that means I am not able to use the controller set ups I ahve for the indidividual instruments. In Cubase I would press W (write) move some knobs and it would all be recorded. At the momment I am having to remap using the the parameters in track view and not those I have mapped to the instruments original editor panel.

Regards

Paull
ah I misread your question.

paull

Post by paull » Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:49 pm

Thanks,

That is unfortunately what I thought. What do I do about VST Instruments that do not have parameters showing in Live such as Vaz Modular and Reaktor 4 (I think it says "undifined paramenter" or something like that).

Thanks for all your help so far.