I'm in love with this woman!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:49 pm

Wow!

Is that what you meant?

I'm more confused now than when you first made the statement.

I apologize for my earlier post.

I like presets. Hardware keyboards and workstations companies use that as the defining selling point for those products.

Why have an issue with that?

"homogeny"

It's not a word that I use commonly, but I feel as though you may have misused it in your previous post.

It's not like Maschine doesn't have the ability to tweak sounds and import other samples.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:30 pm

starving student wrote:
Emissary wrote:Jesus. What a terrible video. Wacky videos that have nothing to do with the product are like soooooooo last year man. Plus that chick is irritating as hell. Do i have to be black to use maschine then? i guess so.
is it because you are proud to be white that you think this comment is acceptable, and then you tried to latch on to kbs comment about being proud to be black, did that make you feel safe and justified in making a comment like this?
Justified in making a joke?, go send showers of seamen over you mothers bosom you inflated little prince. Your the definition of political correctness gone mad . Get a life sad man and stop trying to fart on the heads of leisure.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 pm

kb420 wrote:Wow!

Is that what you meant?

I'm more confused now than when you first made the statement.

I apologize for my earlier post.

I like presets. Hardware keyboards and workstations companies use that as the defining selling point for those products.

Why have an issue with that?

"homogeny"

It's not a word that I use commonly, but I feel as though you may have misused it in your previous post.

It's not like Maschine doesn't have the ability to tweak sounds and import other samples.
Homogeny means roughly the same thing as homogeneous. Alike, the same, similar, duplicates etc.

Presets in general are decent starting points, and on occasion I use them, and in the larger picture music is a language, which is in some respects always similar. Think of it in terms of dialect. I can always tell a person from Oakland CA, especially a black person that isn't from the Oakland Hills. They have a unique dialect, as opposed to news anchors who for very obvious reasons are homogenous in speech patterns.

NI, compared to Ableton or Cycling 74 are homogenous. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just is. Their devices aren't, but they lean towards marketing their presets, over you as a customer learning their software. That was my point.
An example would be taking a group of musicians who used either Ableton and Max/MSP to make music as opposed to Cubase and NI kit. Now you can get original sounds out of NI stuf, and you can make certain trademark Max/MSP or Ableton glitchy noises, but with a large enough test group, it would be easy enough to identify the NI users, simply by the content of the presets they develop.

Maschine isn't really apart of what I was saying really. Drum machines don't necessarily ad more than a 'drum machine' sound. :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34 pm

Emissary - the spell checker is doing you well but it doesn't work with homonyms.

btw if you're not one of these guys
http://www.welshspaceagency.org/
you should be.

they found diamonds the size if a small cat on one of Jupiter's moons and rubies stacked as high as horses on the moon.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:35 pm

are certain types of music for certain colors of people?

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 pm

dj_huck wrote:are certain types of music for certain colors of people?

I think so. I think Rock-n-Roll is for Purple People.

Or is that Purple People eaters?????
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Emissary wrote:
starving student wrote:
Emissary wrote:Jesus. What a terrible video. Wacky videos that have nothing to do with the product are like soooooooo last year man. Plus that chick is irritating as hell. Do i have to be black to use maschine then? i guess so.
is it because you are proud to be white that you think this comment is acceptable, and then you tried to latch on to kbs comment about being proud to be black, did that make you feel safe and justified in making a comment like this?
Justified in making a joke?, go send showers of seamen over you mothers bosom you inflated little prince. Your the definition of political correctness gone mad . Get a life sad man and stop trying to fart on the heads of leisure.
hahaha for being such the prankster you've got quite a softspot, I'm sure it's your sexy attitude that all the sistas love not to mention you're probably a real hoot at mixed parties, oh yeah Emissary let me hear some more black jokes man their all the rage in your circles...........Emissary of what Exactly..........I knew you would bring up political correctness too but dude i'm a rapper you can't fool me with that code talk I've already mastered Lingo. btw you're part of the fam here so please be more comfortable about how you feel.

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:48 pm

dj_huck wrote:are certain types of music for certain colors of people?
nobro

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:52 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
ilia wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:NI are far too geared towards homogeny these days.
what do you mean by that?
They produce far too much product geared towards people who do not want to delve into the machines they make. Kore is really pretty cool, but geared towards Kore Packs, collections of presets, and Kore is geared towards people who use presets = homogeny.
They spend more money on paying people to write great sounding presets than they do on people to write great manuals for Reactor for instance. This is market driven for sure, but it's still obvious to me that in contradiction to Ableton, who actually have a derth of useable presets for their instruments and FX, and recently teamed up with Cycling 74 to give even greater flexibility, NI are homogenous in approach.
Doesn't mean their actual code is though. Absynth, Kontakt, FM8 and Massive for instance have a lot of flexibility, and Reactor is as amazing as Max/MSP, and has a larger, more giving community.
totally agree with this, been screaming for years for a good tutorial for electronic instruments 2 metaphysical

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 pm

starving student wrote:
Emissary wrote:
starving student wrote: is it because you are proud to be white that you think this comment is acceptable, and then you tried to latch on to kbs comment about being proud to be black, did that make you feel safe and justified in making a comment like this?
hahaha for being such the prankster you've got quite a softspot, I'm sure it's your sexy attitude that all the sistas love not to mention you're probably a real hoot at mixed parties, oh yeah Emissary let me hear some more black jokes man their all the rage in your circles...........Emissary of what Exactly..........I knew you would bring up political correctness too but dude i'm a rapper you can't fool me with that code talk I've already mastered Lingo. btw you're part of the fam here so please be more comfortable about how you feel.
Your whole post scanned about as well as my mothers arse in a photocopier.
If anything it was a white joke rather than a black joke. I was making fun of myself as a white person for not being cool enough to use maschine. I dont see why if a black guy is proud to be black i cant be proud to be white. Apart from the fact that to a racist like yourself that would mean i thought white was better than black. Does a black person think he is better than a white person if he was proud to be black? it would seem so according to your logic.

If i was black and commented on a video filled with white people "that i had to be white to use maschine" I'm pretty sure i would have just nicked Richard pryors entire comedy routine and had black folk from 20 years ago rolling in the aisles.

Black and white people are equal in society now as it should be. Black people need to stop this constant belief that the white man is out to get them. Yes racism still remains, but its probably pretty equally divided now between both black and white. Both have their dickheads.

Per Boysen

The Steppophonic Looperformer

Post by Per Boysen » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:16 pm

I will build the world's first Steppophonic Looperformer. It is a step pattern sequencer driven real-time sampler/looper. I believe it will make a smashing team with Live 8's new Looper. I posted a detailed description of the instrument at http://www.perboysen.com/ for those who might be interested.
Greetings from Sweden

Per Boysen
http://www.perboysen.com

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:22 pm

That was the best NI commercial EVER!!

And yes, that chick is smoking hot!!!!

:mrgreen:
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm

that tutorial intro was scary as hell PB :) great clip

Emissary

Re: The Steppophonic Looperformer

Post by Emissary » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:27 pm

Per Boysen wrote:I will build the world's first Steppophonic Looperformer. It is a step pattern sequencer driven real-time sampler/looper. I believe it will make a smashing team with Live 8's new Looper. I posted a detailed description of the instrument at http://www.perboysen.com/ for those who might be interested.
i like your flutey playing, its like being 12 inches tall and lost in a forest of giant fornicating deer. Beautiful

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:32 pm

that was quite nice Per boysen