Is this possible?: clip as a tempo/groove master

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
grooveWhiz Akeem

Post by grooveWhiz Akeem » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:27 am

unfortunately this should be dynamic. I though about putting all songs in the arrangement and using those "clickable markers" controlled via a virtual midi detour to jump to other songs/masters. But even that not flexible enough, as I'd like to decide what to play at runtime.

Too bad that that you can't just fire a clip as a tempo master. The functionality itself seems to be there.

morg909

Re: Is this possible?: clip as a tempo/groove master

Post by morg909 » Wed May 20, 2009 11:30 am

This is the exact same feature that's number 1 on my ableton wishlist.

Does Live 8 let you use a clip to control the master tempo in session view?

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed May 20, 2009 1:20 pm

I just had a similar situation: had to add guitar parts to a soul track that wasn't made with a metronome, i.e. it speeds up ad slows down, and I wanted to record it in Live.

-- I warped the soul track very tightly (in Live 8, you can quantize it which works great) in Arrangement view (as said, this doesn't work in Session View).
-- Make sure this track is on beats/tones or texture as Complex does not work for this.
-- Set the track as 'master' in the clip's Sample Display -- now Live's tempo track will follow the soul track, which we behave as if 'unwarped.'
-- You could leave this track playing in arrangement view, and loop it there, and fire clips in Session view which will follow the soul track's tempo (or do one of the funky midi routing solutions above).

Best,
Jesse

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed May 20, 2009 3:04 pm

yes, that is exactly as described previously

but they want to pull in any old master clip, at any time, and have the set follow that clip's tempo.. all without touching the mouse

:lol:

morg909

Post by morg909 » Thu May 21, 2009 12:13 pm

I don't mind using the mouse, I'd just like a way to seamlessly transition from regular use of session view to a clip with a variable tempo and back again.

Moving from a master tempo clip in arrangement view back to session view is ok, but I haven't got the hang of getting from session view into arrangement view without breaking the audio.

Any suggestions???

I guess the reason I'd like to have clip controlled master tempo in session view is because I'd rather not pre plan, but react when I feel using it would better suit a variable tempo clip.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu May 21, 2009 2:07 pm

morg909 wrote:but I haven't got the hang of getting from session view into arrangement view without breaking the audio.

Any suggestions???

maybe use a fresh track each time you need to do this arrangement master clip thing

then it will just play without using the BTA button and killing the rest of the session

transology

Re:

Post by transology » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:44 am

grooveWhiz Akeem wrote:unfortunately this should be dynamic. I though about putting all songs in the arrangement and using those "clickable markers" controlled via a virtual midi detour to jump to other songs/masters. But even that not flexible enough, as I'd like to decide what to play at runtime.

Too bad that that you can't just fire a clip as a tempo master. The functionality itself seems to be there.
Hey Groovewhiz. If you find it, please let my know !! I'm really looking for an solution to change the temp on the fly (NOT pre program we all know how to do it) with two keys. Let's say C4 and D4 for +1 BPM and -1BPM. Or even putting a midi dummy clip at 125BPm or 126bpm would be great.

The drummer will trigger those two key on the fly !! This would be so power full !!! HAHaaa rrr can't content myself looking for a solution. That would be so perfect for us !! Maybe we need to slave Live sync with something that would allow this ?

Thanks
OS X - L8

transology

Post by transology » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:45 am

morg909 wrote:This is the exact same feature that's number 1 on my ableton wishlist.

Does Live 8 let you use a clip to control the master tempo in session view?
Hey morg999, If you find it, please let my know !! I'm really looking for an solution to change the temp on the fly (NOT pre program we all know how to do it) with two keys. Let's say C4 and D4 for +1 BPM and -1BPM. Or even putting a midi dummy clip at 125BPm or 126bpm would be great.

The drummer will trigger those two key on the fly !! This would be so power full !!! HAHaaa rrr can't content myself looking for a solution. That would be so perfect for us !! Maybe we need to slave Live sync with something that would allow this ?

Thanks
OS X - L8

transology

Solution - Master Tempo Automation in session view :)

Post by transology » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:47 pm

Don't have time to comment but if your know how dummy clips work, you'll understand. I've been playing with this for 3 days now without bugs ! Note that my dummy clip UP, send a CC95 message to my master tempo via IAC Bus Channel 2. This is great to trig a dummy clip and make the song go from ex. 126 to 123bpm.

But I'm still looking for an solution to change the tempo on the fly (NOT pre program it we all know how to do it) with two keys. Let's say C4 and D4 for +1 BPM and -1BPM. Like hit the UP and Down arrow when the tempo is underlighted.

Who's is your daddy ?

OS X - L8

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Thu May 26, 2011 9:12 pm

Hi, I don't think that's the right idea for solving this problem. Sure you could control the tempo master with midi. But to honor this particular thread's question, which is using an audio not a midi track, you'd have to
1) Move the warped Session Clip to arrangement view and turn on it's master warp tempo button.
2) Copy the resulting Master Tempo automation.
3) Create a Midi Clip on the same scene as the audio clip in step 1, Unlink the Region/Loop Envelope, and Paste this automation into an envelope Midi channel. Make sure the envelop begins at the beginning of the clip.
4) Now fire off the scene, not the clip.

Problem I foresee already: the control data will change a range from where the tempo started off; sure it will go up and down, but there is no literal envelope that correlates directly to a BPM. Also the control change will sweep across an available range, and assigning a range for every floating tempo sog that you might want to mix is additionally unrealistic.

salatspinatra

Post by salatspinatra » Fri May 27, 2011 12:35 pm

Oh just to elaborate on step 2 above, the automation is going to be in the master channel anyway, so you would use the contextual menu on the master channel to (paraphrasing-I'm not in my studio at the moment) "revert tempo lane from master clip" (it's the only option to pop up; can't miss it.) and while you're at it, you could leave this trick at that. The problem still would be applying the tempo changes at the precise moment of the start of the song, as Session view clips are not subject to the timeline and the arrangement is.