clicks using live with pocket dial

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spanish_fly

clicks using live with pocket dial

Post by spanish_fly » Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:40 pm

Hi everyone, I get clicks everytime I turn a knob on the pocket dial, everything works fine escept for this noisy clicks. I am not too sure if it is the soundcard or maybe I need more RAM ( I have 128 mb right now).
Have anyove had a similar problem with the pocket dial?
I also have hard time configuring the pocket dial since everytime I change the presets to fuck around with the vst synths when I go back to live and hit preset 1 again all my live configuration is messed up and I have to do it all over again, do you know why and do you know any presets for live and other vst synths, logic audio, etc????
Thanks

PD1 one more thing : How can I sync live with akai mpc 2000 using pocket dial also?

FrankH

Re: clicks using live with pocket dial

Post by FrankH » Tue Jul 16, 2002 11:33 am

Hi,
spanish_fly wrote:Hi everyone, I get clicks everytime I turn a knob on the pocket dial, everything works fine escept for this noisy clicks.
Hm, sounds like you hear the midi data, you may have some kind of groundloop between your midi and audio cables.
spanish_fly wrote:I also have hard time configuring the pocket dial since everytime I change the presets to fuck around with the vst synths when I go back to live and hit preset 1 again all my live configuration is messed up and I have to do it all over again, do you know why and do you know any presets for live and other vst synths, logic audio, etc????
Thanks
Look at the doepfer site and take a look at the controller compatible list.
http://www.doepfer.com/controller/compatible_list.htm
It's best to use presets 111-114 (dip sw to 01110110)
Now you got 16 knobs X 4 banks X 16 midi-ch = 1024 relative controlers
spanish_fly wrote:PD1 one more thing : How can I sync live with akai mpc 2000 using pocket dial also?
Connect the MPC midi-out to Pocket Dial midi-in
Pocket Dial midi-out to computer (Live) midi-in
This should work.

Have fun

f

KLK

Post by KLK » Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:50 pm

thanks fran,
I have tried to use preset 111 and it doesn´t work since when I assign something to the doepfer the value goes from botton to top and viceversa.
I assume you can assign the knobs to anything you want on preset 111 because when I first use this preset nothing is being controlled and when I assign anything to the doepfer I get this crazy value change, I though this preset was a solution for smooth value changes.
Preset 1 works fine excepts that when I touch a knob it goes all the way to the top or the bottom and I have to touch all knobs before working, how can I configure preset 111, Can you explain me how do you do this a bit more detailed? Thanks

Pd1: Is it possible I fucked up this preset using the pocket editor, I was wroking a bit with it the other day and I sent preset 9 via midi by error, I don´t think is got nothing to do but here is more info for you help, thanks a lot for the help

I sync my akai mpc 2000 and that works prefect now :D

Mark Henning

Post by Mark Henning » Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:21 pm

KLK wrote:thanks fran,
I have tried to use preset 111 and it doesn´t work since when I assign something to the doepfer the value goes from botton to top and viceversa.
I assume you can assign the knobs to anything you want on preset 111 because when I first use this preset nothing is being controlled and when I assign anything to the doepfer I get this crazy value change, I though this preset was a solution for smooth value changes.
Preset 1 works fine excepts that when I touch a knob it goes all the way to the top or the bottom and I have to touch all knobs before working, how can I configure preset 111, Can you explain me how do you do this a bit more detailed? Thanks

:D
re: 111 - you need to move the knob slowly when u assign the controls for preset 111- at the bottom of the screen you'll see the different options - absolute/incremental....

you've obviously assigned them using absolute if the value jumps from the top to bottom.....

Re: the noises - I sometimes get clicks/buzzes when I move the knobs really quickly - rest of the time the pocked dial is ok..... Frank H, I'm sure you can help me out here? - what the hell is a ground-loop?

P.S one more thing - dunno if this has come up but I can't active/de-activate (ie.turn on/off) any non-ableton vst effects with the keyboard or midi controller without getting the most horrific buzzing sound! ...anyone else? :?

spanish fly

Post by spanish fly » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:14 pm

thanks guys, it was the absolute option in live what I wasn´t paying attention to so now preset 111 problem is SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!! :D
The clicks problem is still there too, I don´t really understand what you mean by ground loop Frank, I separated all cables so the midi-audio cables don´t touch each other but still get those hard click noises when i move a knob, can you explain GROUND LOOP a bit more please?
Thanks

Thanks Mark for your help also, I enjoying my pocket dial much more now :D

Alex Reynolds

Pocket Dial preset

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:30 am

The aforementioned preset will turn the knobs on a Pocket Dial into note up/down switches.

I find the preset that works best for me is:

if I want to use the knobs for a 0-127 gradient. Thing is that the knobs act as absolute pots, instead of relative. I'm still trying other presets to see if I can get something fired up in a relative fashion.

-Alex

Alex Reynolds

Pocket Dial preset

Post by Alex Reynolds » Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:38 am

The aforementioned preset will turn the knobs on a Pocket Dial into note up/down switches.

I find the preset that works best for me is:

if I want to use the knobs for a 0-127 gradient. Thing is that the knobs act as absolute pots, instead of relative. I'm still trying other presets to see if I can get something fired up in a relative fashion.

-Alex

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:46 pm

spanish fly wrote:still get those hard click noises when i move a knob
Where does the sound come from? Your computer's sound card? Your main out? (If you have more than 1 stereo out). That cheezy little speaker on your CPU? Sounds like it COULD be windows reacting to too many input messages...? Like holding down a key during boot up...

I thought ground loops were more about audio and power lines. Specifically the ~60Hz cycle of power not having a ground to return to. This is solved by putting everything on one circut and cleaning up the power... Please correct me if I'm off base...

spanish fly

Post by spanish fly » Tue Jul 23, 2002 2:40 pm

preset 111 work fine from 0 till 127, you just have to select this option in live after you assign the know.
About ground loop I am not too familiar but I will also appreciate more help on this area since I don´t really have it clear to what to do.
I thought that was midi cables touching audio cables but now I am confused, what is a ground loop????????????????????????????????????
I still get those clicks, I have a PC laptop and the sound is coming from the soundcard that came with it, could it be the soundcard?
Thanks

neuronaut

Post by neuronaut » Tue Jul 23, 2002 3:49 pm

spanish fly wrote:I have a PC laptop and the sound is coming from the soundcard that came with it, could it be the soundcard?
Thanks
FORGET THE GROUND LOOP IDEA. It's something to do with MS windows and your midi... It could be a cheap midi device....

What type of a laptop? What type of MIDI input? What OS? etc.

Ableton Sven

Probs with Pocket Dial

Post by Ableton Sven » Tue Jul 23, 2002 4:12 pm

hi there,

i also had some problems with the pocket dial. make sure that:

- you only use midi out for use with relative controler values (the pocket dial has otherwise some problems with midi feedback)

- you move the knob slowly to the left while assiging the controller (take a look at the bottom line of Live while doing so)

It doesn't matter waht preset you use, Live will find out the controll method itself.
Works fine for me.

all the best,

sven
ableton