Finally a virus for us Mac users!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Finally a virus for us Mac users!!!!

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:32 am

Gentleman, we've arrived.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/117188

I can't wait to see what new bleeding edge viruses and malware comes out for Mac. It's going to be way slick.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:58 am

They're so much better looking that Windowz viruses. They also never crash!

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:13 am

What I find hilarious is Mac fanboys throw buckets of cash at Apple. I often tip the employees at the Apple store even when I don't buy anything. This virus is attached to iWork which costs $79 new.

This really is justice for the stupid. At least pirate Microsoft Office that people actually use and costs more than $79.

Maybe it only infected former PC users that switched to Mac and are used to not paying for software ever and old habits die hard.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:25 am

Can I step in at this point to say that it's a trojan, not a virus? Thanks.

Two things on MacRumors site made me laugh. First was the Apple fans saying how this was a good thing, you get what you deserve, etc, etc. I don't really agree but there you go. Second thing was regular posters asking for "theoretical" advice about how to remove the trojan...you know, not like they'd downloaded it or anything...

So, is it now time for me to start paying for my non-music software? Damn...

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:34 am

dazzer wrote:So, is it now time for me to start paying for my non-music software? Damn...
AS IF

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:37 am

dazzer wrote:Can I step in at this point to say that it's a trojan, not a virus? Thanks.
8O You mean there's other things out there to be worried about other than viruses? Man, I really need to get a PC to see what all this stuff is I'm missing out on.

Playing the blissfully ignorant Mac guy can be fun.....but most of the time you just sound like an asshole.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:05 am

even though there are only about 12 viruses/trojans available for Mac, they probably pose more of a threat to the Mac owning population based on percentage.

PC abusers have had it drummed into them for years to get 12 kinds of prophylactic-ware before you even look at an internet site. Of course, you can still infect yourself by clicking on that mail attachment from your bank titled "update-your-bank-details.exe ".

Anyway - I bet, weekly, only (!) about 10% of PC users infect themselves with digital herpes.

The problem is that all Mac users I know have long ago abandoned any Antivirus or even any kind of wariness to clicking on mail attachments from their "bank" / long lost friend / airline reservation that they never reserved.
Most Mac users I know bought a Mac because they were "so sick of all that virus shit on the PC". Consequently there is a feeling of invulnerability which is pretty fertile ground.

I would estimate that with a well distributed trojan about 50% of Mac users would willfully infect themselves when presented with this mail :

"Hi, it's me, so glad to see you the other month, sorry I didn't get in touch sooner... but check out this video of you know who, I'll explain more later !!!"
attachment : amazing-vid.troj

Because 50% of Mac users are absolutely sure that they will not get a virus/trojan

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:27 am

your mom goes to college
MBP 1.86 GHz, 2Gb RAM, Live 6, Logic Studio, Reason 4, Komplete 5, Melodyne, BFD, IK Studio Bundle etc etc

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:46 am

Angstrom wrote:even though there are only about 12 viruses/trojans available for Mac, they probably pose more of a threat to the Mac owning population based on percentage.

PC abusers have had it drummed into them for years to get 12 kinds of prophylactic-ware before you even look at an internet site.
:lol:

I would estimate that with a well distributed trojan about 50% of Mac users would willfully infect themselves when presented with this mail :

"Hi, it's me, so glad to see you the other month, sorry I didn't get in touch sooner... but check out this video of you know who, I'll explain more later !!!"
attachment : amazing-vid.troj

Because 50% of Mac users are absolutely sure that they will not get a virus/trojan
This is I think why Apple recommended recently that users buy a virus protection program. BIG break from the past, but I think they don't want widespread trojan infections to sully their no virus rep.

BTW OSX will recognize a wrongly named app. and ask you if you still want to use the application, instead of just thinking it's a movie file etc. At that point if you say yes, you'll be asked for your password, if you type in your password thinking you need to, to open Quicktime, even though the OS is telling you it's not in fact a movie file, then really, you get what you deserve.
This is why OSX is so hard to infect with a standard virus over a trojan. trojans work because you actually think the application is a legit application, and not a trojan. Basically at this point most people infected on OSX are using dirty dirty software. :twisted:

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:20 am

SimonPHC wrote:
dazzer wrote:So, is it now time for me to start paying for my non-music software? Damn...
AS IF
i guess that was meant as some kind of insult? Sense of irony failure in Belgium perhaps? Or maybe at my end, who knows...

Either way, nice pic, I kind of identify with them girls.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:52 pm

Machinesworking wrote: BTW OSX will recognize a wrongly named app. and ask you if you still want to use the application, instead of just thinking it's a movie file etc. At that point if you say yes, you'll be asked for your password, if you type in your password thinking you need to, to open Quicktime, even though the OS is telling you it's not in fact a movie file, then really, you get what you deserve.
This is why OSX is so hard to infect with a standard virus over a trojan. trojans work because you actually think the application is a legit application, and not a trojan. Basically at this point most people infected on OSX are using dirty dirty software. :twisted:
But most viruses are not sent as files with incorrect suffixes, IE - they are not sent like this "your-photo.jpeg" there's no need to do that. Plus it doesn't work !

Instead they tend to arrive as a zip file with an executable inside. No need to hide it as another file type, because anyone that clicks on something that arrives in the mail will run it anyway!
open mail, unzip attached archive to desktop, look at extracted software "your receipt" click, run, boom.

there never is a 'wrongly named app' to catch, users will click on anything.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:53 am

Angstrom wrote: Instead they tend to arrive as a zip file with an executable inside. No need to hide it as another file type, because anyone that clicks on something that arrives in the mail will run it anyway!
open mail, unzip attached archive to desktop, look at extracted software "your receipt" click, run, boom.

there never is a 'wrongly named app' to catch, users will click on anything.
A zip file in OSX opens up as an application or a file for an application, in the sense that if it's a virus, and you have to get it to run, it would have to be hidden somehow. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's that much better, but I know of no way to run an application without installing it, so you would have to type in a password to open the executable, which wouldn't be the case if it was a movie or something.... but yeah, considering the average user will click on anything, and mac users will autopilot their password, it's bound to happen soon. :?

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:26 am

Why doesn't the Downandup virus that paralyzed 9 million Windows users in a few days getting any attention? Probably because this is not uncommon.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/116396
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

deva

Post by deva » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:43 am

Sylenth sounds just as good as that Virus!

paradiddle

Post by paradiddle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:35 am

Revenge at last!!! :twisted: