How will the APC40 affect DJing with Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:22 am

Currently I use Live to DJ. I use either a BCR2000 or an old-school Evolution X-Session. It's not always pretty, but it gets the job done. In my mind, I'm thinking about how the APC40 might affect the way I DJ. Sure it looks good for live performance, but will it be good for DJing? I'm considering jumping ship to Traktor (shh... don't tell).

Thoughts?

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:11 am

Less DJ (disc-jockey), more MJ (mix-jockey).

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:35 am

Shit, I'm still trying to figure out how Live affects DJing. I think that's more you're question- the APC is perfect for Abletoning. 8 tracks, many banks. DJs- we don't need 8 tracks. Where does that leave us with Live? I personally think I am evolving more toward using live as a sampler/FX/beatbox in my DJ setup, and less as independent decks (until Serableton comes out, at which point I will be in Nirvana).

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:44 am

if you dj in a conventional way (mixing a to b) and are used to a traditional setup, then going the ableton route can be confusing at first. For me i started djing non traditionally (I did production on ableton that evolved into djing as well) So for me, having a plethora of midi controllers is the norm. Traktor is great for those that like it a little more traditional, while to me djing with ableton is all about flexibility. The apc40 seems like it would be great on its own or as a little something extra to a normal dj setup

drush

Post by drush » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:42 pm

if you get further into modifying/remaking/deconstructing tracks, 5-6-8 channels is great.

if you're just a->b, or a->b->c->a'ing it, it won't matter so much.

all the reasonable workarounds aside, for ~djing the lack of 3 eq knobs still bothers me. terrific kit for production but the vcm still looks more attractive... at twice the price. =(

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:21 pm

When the Kaoss Pad owning/Pioneer DJM DJ's start seeing other people using the APC in DJ booths, they will be lured in by the colorful blinking lights through the din of the fog juice and booming booty glitch...

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:28 pm

Thanks for the input.

I guess part of me really likes the idea of a traktor- or itunes-like file management/browser, and another part of me likes the idea of using clips Sasha style. For some reason, I can't get comfortable with either in Live, and I think the answer I'm looking for is USE BOTH.

Why not? Some tracks can be broken down into clips and saved in Lives browser, and some can stay in itunes. :)

Kenny Q

Post by Kenny Q » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:48 pm

Silverfish wrote:Thanks for the input.

I guess part of me really likes the idea of a traktor- or itunes-like file management/browser, and another part of me likes the idea of using clips Sasha style. For some reason, I can't get comfortable with either in Live, and I think the answer I'm looking for is USE BOTH.

Why not? Some tracks can be broken down into clips and saved in Lives browser, and some can stay in itunes. :)
I think that Serato/Ableton will solve your problem. You just have to wait.

It may be better to get Serato instead of Traktor, this way you'll be ready for the Serato/Ableton product (whenever it becomes available).

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:11 pm

The biggest problem with the APC40 for a DJ is not having dedicated EQ controls on every channel. Sure the knobs are there for EQ (in the bottom right) but only for one channel at a time - at minimum you'd want EQ for two channels simultaneously.

I'd imagine it will be easy with M4L to configure it so you can split the 8 knobs so you have 4 each on two channels (and assign them to whichever channels you want), but having to get M4L for that is a bit much.

Hopefully Ableton / Akai will provide a better way of mapping it for DJ use. Or come up with another controller that is designed solely as a DJ style mixer.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

jez3122

Post by jez3122 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:15 pm

I Think i'm gonna buy 2 x Faderfox LD2's to sit just above the APC.....

That would be everything i needed then....
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:44 pm

massiveheadpain wrote:Traktor is great for those that like it a little more traditional, while to me djing with ableton is all about flexibility.
I don't think DJing with Live is about flexibility at all and is more about prepping ahead of time, spending your days warping tracks and once you have them warped making a bunch of clips out of same track to emulate cue points. I think it's the least "live" DJing ever. You can jump around and loop live a lot better with Traktor and I assume other DJ software.

xeex

Post by xeex » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:51 pm

beats me wrote:
massiveheadpain wrote:Traktor is great for those that like it a little more traditional, while to me djing with ableton is all about flexibility.
I don't think DJing with Live is about flexibility at all and is more about prepping ahead of time, spending your days warping tracks and once you have them warped making a bunch of clips out of same track to emulate cue points. I think it's the least "live" DJing ever. You can jump around and loop live a lot better with Traktor and I assume other DJ software.

It is kinda a buzz kill, djing is not really about that (prepping trax 2 days before the gig)imho, i remember the days where i felt like playing that particular track without any preparation, and this piece of kit (akai apc 40) does not really allow you to do just that, wheres the likes of vcm 600 or even korg zero 4 /8 on the other hand are design with that in mind.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:09 pm

Any bonehead can work out how to put the needle on the record, select from the options "33" and "45" an fiddle with the platter and the the pitch slider until 2 records are in sync... Enter the APC40... the house is on fire with your kickass tunes your blending in tunes beats and loops everyone's dancing their ass off. Those who don't gather near th DJ booth to trainspot they watch in amazement as they see your fingers press buttons on what looks like a scale model of a dancefloor from a 1970 disco. You're busy, but not staring at a laptop screen all the time, no you work your controller, and regularly look up, even pump a fist in the air every now and then to add some drama to a breakdown. :D :D :D :D :D :D

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:30 am

djsynchro, you've convinced me. APC40, get here NOW. :lol:

xeex

Post by xeex » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:59 am

djsynchro wrote:Any bonehead can work out how to put the needle on the record, select from the options "33" and "45" an fiddle with the platter and the the pitch slider until 2 records are in sync... Enter the APC40... the house is on fire with your kickass tunes your blending in tunes beats and loops everyone's dancing their ass off. Those who don't gather near th DJ booth to trainspot they watch in amazement as they see your fingers press buttons on what looks like a scale model of a dancefloor from a 1970 disco. You're busy, but not staring at a laptop screen all the time, no you work your controller, and regularly look up, even pump a fist in the air every now and then to add some drama to a breakdown. :D :D :D :D :D :D

djsynchro either works for akai or is a hip hop fanboy. did you read carefully, djing is not about sitting two nights before in front of your computer and warping all your records so they do sync when you press your 70s style buttons. :lol: