Buffer size question, Is the test actually accurate?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
tigali

Buffer size question, Is the test actually accurate?

Post by tigali » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:04 pm

I am running a MacBook Pro with latest Live 7 suite. I was setting it up and going through the preferences and when I ran the test i got a clear tone with no dropouts at 20 samples. I then read that people recommend round numbers like 64,128,etc. Should I just stick to the number I got running the test or is it way too low? Thanks for entertaining this 'tarded question.

crumhorn

Re: Buffer size question, Is the test actually accurate?

Post by crumhorn » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:12 pm

tigali wrote:I am running a MacBook Pro with latest Live 7 suite. I was setting it up and going through the preferences and when I ran the test i got a clear tone with no dropouts at 20 samples. I then read that people recommend round numbers like 64,128,etc. Should I just stick to the number I got running the test or is it way too low? Thanks for entertaining this 'tarded question.
20 samples is an amazing result! Less than 0.5 mS. If it works reliably then stick with it, But I suspect you might get problems with audio drop outs under heavy load.
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

steko

Post by steko » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:54 pm

With the tutorial buffer test did you have the CPU Usage Simulator set to 80%?
Rahad Jackson wrote:My Awesome Mix Tape #6