RENDERING TRACKS FOR DJ USE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Boshdog

RENDERING TRACKS FOR DJ USE

Post by Boshdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:52 pm

Ok, here's my problem;
I have just made an edit of a track to play out in my DJ sets. I've got the levels not clipping at all and haven't done any additional EQing etc, although I have warped the track.

It sounds fine but when I render it as a WAV and compare the sound quality to the original it's lost some of it's sheen! It's not overly ad but it's a little muffled compared to the original.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Help would be mucho appreciated :)

Boshdog

Post by Boshdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:58 pm

Sorry, yeh it was a 320 MP3

MrTiddles

Post by MrTiddles » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:10 pm

Bad Boshdog!

Don't use Mp3's!

Bad!

*hits on nose with rolled up newspaper.

NO!

If your warped track matches tempo's with your Live tempo it will sound like poo as well.
'Fear makes the wolf look bigger'
http://www.myspace.com/StevieVega
4Tunes: Quad Intel 2.66, Live 8, Lots of VSTs
4Mixing: Macbook Pro, Live 8, APC40, iPad

ground_control

Post by ground_control » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:43 pm

It's going to be more the warping than the fact that it was an mp3. Any timestretching is going to create some artifacts. It's the nature of the process.

Try the different warp modes and see which sounds best. If you're just chopping and rearranging a track at it's native tempo, try and turn warping off. You won't be able to loop sections, but you can duplicate and it won't matter.

J

Boshdog

Post by Boshdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm using Complex mode to warp and on high quality.
No extra effects have been applied.

Boshdog

Post by Boshdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:48 pm

Ok thanks, think it must just be some sound quality loss after the warping then.... not to worry, it's not that bad, just wondered why it was noticeably different from the original..

Cheers guys

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:01 pm

Every time an audio track is converted from one format to another (other than lossless to lossless) there will be some loss of quality and the same with warping (time stretching).

So your track has gone from original to mp3 to wav, then time stretched, then output to wav (no loss from that though). Then when you play it back it will be time stretched again to the relevant bpm.

If you're going to do edits, start with a wav and try to do the edit on the wav directly (in an audio editor rather than Live), then bring it in to Live and warp it.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4