Is Operator worth it or is FM8 as good?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aniajudie

Is Operator worth it or is FM8 as good?

Post by aniajudie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:24 pm

I was thinking of upgrading to Live 7 (I'm on 5) and saw the prices.
I was thinking of just getting Live 7 and no instruments as I already have NI's
FM8. Is it basically same as Operator or is it worth to buy Live with the Operator?

..or is there even better synths than this (VST/AU?)

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:58 pm

I have both Operator and FM8.
In my opinion Operator is a lot easier to program and is especially fun with all of the new features in the live 8 version. I have no worries about building a sound from the ground up with operator. On the other hand, with FM8 i tend to go preset mining till i find a sound that almost fits, then bend it into shape from there.
Operator is a simple and killer sounding synth, add the modular flexibility of lives other devices and the only real limitation is your imagination or your CPU. This is where FM8 has the edge, it is super lean on the CPU.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 pm

I really never got around the clunky interface of the FM8, or most of the NI synths - I do however LOVE the old Yamaha synths (dx7 et al), even if they too were real tough to program.

Operator? I LOVE it. It is so easy to edit, so easy I actually erased all presets and program my sounds from scrath all the time. With live 8 it gets even better, as I am sure you've seen from this page.

My advice. Try it using the trial perhaps? Try it a lot, and I guarantee you'll fall in love with it.
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 pm

The biggest reason to get Operator is it's deep sync with Live. If you've bought into Live, then producing with Operator gives you a whole new dimension because everything is so easily automatable. The movement you can program into the sound is a dimention that you wont' get with FM8. And with L8, you'll get a very mature synth.

Having said that, deep programmers will tell you that 4 operators is not enough for some serious FM textures. But the easy fix is to rack 2 operators, and you get 8. Plus I've never needed that deep a level of programming, personally.

vicz

Re: Is Operator worth it or is FM8 as good?

Post by vicz » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:11 pm

aniajudie wrote:I was thinking of upgrading to Live 7 (I'm on 5) and saw the prices.
I was thinking of just getting Live 7 and no instruments as I already have NI's
FM8. Is it basically same as Operator or is it worth to buy Live with the Operator?

..or is there even better synths than this (VST/AU?)
Isn't Operator included free at the moment?

I use FM8 for DX7 sounds either included presets or files from all over the web, haven't the patience to be tweeking around in 'advanced mode' yuck!

If tweeking's your thing Operator is great but as an instrument its not in the same league as FM8. Big improvements promised in Live 8 though! There are loads of great synth plugins around ranging from free to big bucks. Personally I love Sylenth1 for its fat sounds and Minimonsta as a moog on steroids. BTW in the suite I was pleasantly surprised at how good Tension is.

radib

Post by radib » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:49 pm

thats much a different, both machines.

the one is a big preset machine with cosmetic tuning (fm8), the other is more like a quick and compact adventure. you go inside and end somewhere totally different (operator). i do prefer operator (together with drumatic and sq8l my only software synth right now) by light years, but thats subjective
-

"after all it wouldn´t have been possible without the impossible."

frahnque

Post by frahnque » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:55 pm

nebulae wrote:...
Having said that, deep programmers will tell you that 4 operators is not enough for some serious FM textures. But the easy fix is to rack 2 operators, and you get 8. Plus I've never needed that deep a level of programming, personally.
This however will not supply 8 operators routed in serial, which you would have in a true 8 operator synth - but then, just as you say, I too never really felt the need for that level of synth programming.
Live 8.1 Suite + M4L and C'74 MAX5
Macbook Air 13", 4 Gb Ram - Lion
Thinkpad W510 Core i7 720-QM, 8 Gb Ram - Win7 64-bit

Soundcloud-> http://soundcloud.com/frank-bolero

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 pm

^ true dat :)

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:58 pm

radib wrote: the one is a big preset machine with cosmetic tuning (fm8),
8O ..
i'm not sure i would agree with that. :wink:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

radib

Post by radib » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Homebelly wrote:
radib wrote: the one is a big preset machine with cosmetic tuning (fm8),
8O ..
i'm not sure i would agree with that. :wink:

sure you have advanced mode and all the obvious hit, but who´s really using it? everyone just takes a preset and cuts something off, maybe changin the lfo rate and the osc volume. the (amount of) other options tire you finally, so there quickly comes the point you choose your next preset and thats been it. for me its just no real unique tweaking joy thing, more a solid something nothing.
-

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 pm

Operator is definitely easier and more fun to program. Fm8 is significantly lighter on CPU and I would say is also the nicer sounding of the two. Fm8 also has extra features like great effects and a cool arp and morphing and other stuff. I probably use them equally.
Professional Shark Jumper.

radib

Post by radib » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:17 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Fm8 is significantly lighter on CPU and I would say is also the nicer sounding of the two.

thats true, operator is very dirty and rough. you won´t really get sober hollywood pads with it.
-

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 pm

radib wrote: everyone just takes a preset and cuts something off, maybe changin the lfo rate and the osc volume. the (amount of) other options tire you finally, so there quickly comes the point you choose your next preset and thats been it. for me its just no real unique tweaking joy thing, more a solid something nothing.
hold your horses there buddy, whos this now your on about? you and your mates?

some of the best sounds ive made began from one oscillator. even a sinewave with a funky envelope sounds sweet from fm8. ill admit by this stage ive built up enough presets to keep me going when need be.. but the magic of synth programming is prgramming... not using presets

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 pm

radib wrote:[sure you have advanced mode and all the obvious hit, but who´s really using it? everyone just takes a preset and cuts something off, maybe changin the lfo rate and the osc volume.
Speak for yourself...

I do most of my own FM programming, but then again I've been doing it for over twenty years.

ew

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:32 pm

Both are amazing synths, but I prefer Operator for all of the Reasons stated above. The no-nonsense interface, natively built for Live, and just fun as hell to use with the modulation options (the new one in Live 8 looks fantastic). Big bang for your buck on this one for sure.

- Nick