SOLD

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dmacintyre

SOLD

Post by dmacintyre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:50 pm

**Discounted upgrade to Live 8 included**.

All full licenses. Just bought this but, having used the 8 beta, the midi is not going to be where I need it to be. It's the package Ableton are selling for $399 right now with discounted upgrade to Live 8. $349 Paypalled (no shipping as it's a download).

I also have Live lite license if that's worth anything. Offers?

M-Audio Uno (USB Midi Interface) like new, boxed : $25 Paypalled and shipped lower 48.
Formac Raven 250Gb 7200rpm Firewire 800 & 400 external hard drive, like new boxed $90 Paypalled and shipped lower 48. Ideal for recording / sample storage.
Looks like this :

PM me if interested. Paypal from confirmed accounts only please.

Thanks

D.
Last edited by dmacintyre on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
I invented coffee

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:10 pm

whats your complains about the midi?
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:26 pm

Just a bit meh with regards to workflow. Splitting notes, Pencil tool functionality, arrange page is still a bit awkward for me, etc. Great for getting ideas off the ground but gets a bit clunky after that (for me anyway). Pro Tools 8 has the right balance of features and workflow for me at the moment and I like working in it. Killer feature for me is the integrated notation in PT8. They don't like it in college when you bring in screen dumps of piano roll midi as examples of your composition work. :D

Always loved Live and the Ableton ethos but it's a bit of a luxury at the moment. I'll come back to it for messing around but it's money tied up in software I won't use much during the semester.
I invented coffee

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:36 pm

sorry for the threadjack, but how are you liking PT8 by the way? I bought an Mbox 2 mini for school/learning purposes recently with 7.4 and the free upgrade option but still haven't gotten around to installing 8. I figure most studios will wait a little longer for the kinks and bugs to be ironed out on the new release, so it can't hurt to learn 7. Then again maybe the main functionality hasn't really changed that much so by learning 8, maybe i can still hold my own in places that have 7 on their rigs. Thoughts?

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:24 pm

aqua_tek wrote:sorry for the threadjack, but how are you liking PT8 by the way? I bought an Mbox 2 mini for school/learning purposes recently with 7.4 and the free upgrade option but still haven't gotten around to installing 8. I figure most studios will wait a little longer for the kinks and bugs to be ironed out on the new release, so it can't hurt to learn 7. Then again maybe the main functionality hasn't really changed that much so by learning 8, i can still hold my own in places that have 7 on their rigs. Thoughts?
I haven't used PT7 for a long time and went straight to PT8 without installing 7 this time. I can't think of any way in which the basic workflow has changed.

PT8 is wonderful. MBox Pro and Core Audio integration, not so good (IMHO PT8 with Apogee Duet would be tough to beat - Digi should collaborate). I had all sorts of problems running my external FW800 drive - MBox Pro doesn't like anything else on the FW bus. I nearly packed the whole lot up and returned it but after reading about the FW issues, I rearranged my setup and it's working perfectly.

PT8 is surprisingly efficient with plugs, especially with the AIR ones. Workflow with audio is perfect and I find myself working with much more audio regions than i used to in Logic or Live. Midi is much better and like I said above, the notation feature is just beautiful. Like PT7, knowing the right key commands makes all the difference. PT8 mixer is the best out of all the DAWs I've used. New effects and instruments are great - Boom is excellent but needs more features (like dragging in your own samples or an integrated synth engine).

Downsides? Screen real estate in the edit window is a bit tight. No track freeze (not a problem for me yet). Track count limit (ditto). Some people say the lack of ADC is a big issue but I can't say I've ever had a problem with that. I also think Digidesign are trying hard again to compete - perhaps they were complacent before and have had a fright with the advances of the competition.

Biggest downside is the massive MBox dongle. Open it up to allow any interface and I think they'd clean up with PT8.

I'd definitely recommend it but the hardware is a huge caveat.

D.
I invented coffee

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:45 pm

thanks, that's pretty useful info. :)

good luck with the sale.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:35 am

PT8 (LE and M-Powered at least, not PTHD) still has no plugin delay compensation (complain about Live's PDC all you want, at least it HAS it and it works fine in most cases for me), still restricts you trackwise (now a whopping 48 tracks, the same as the FREE version of Cubase given with audio interfaces), still is limited by the MBox and such, which is a very average interface to say the least, especially the lower USB MBox's.

I mean. if you like it, you like it, and fair play. It is good for audio and audio editing, and the beat detective and timewarping is good, I grant you that.

But PT's MIDI is still weak compared to Sonar/Cubase/Logic, it still looks a sequencer designed in 1991 with it's (IMHO) dated and boring GUI (although a bit improved in PT8).

At the end of the day, they only release this stuff in the hope that you will bring your project into a proper megabucks PTHD studio, or invest in such a setup for yourself.

Anyway, anyone should go with what they're comfortable with and one man's dirt is another man's gold - for me though M-Powered and LE are dirt ... :wink: Boo to Poor Tools / Pro Fools and long Live LIVE !!! (the utterances of a self proclaimed fanboy :lol: )
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:44 am

Yip, each to their own. However, can I ask if your comments on midi are based on experience of PT8? It blows Live away in that respect and isn't that far behind the other apps plus the GUI is lovely.
leedsquietman wrote:PT8 (LE and M-Powered at least, not PTHD) still has no plugin delay compensation (complain about Live's PDC all you want, at least it HAS it and it works fine in most cases for me), still restricts you trackwise (now a whopping 48 tracks, the same as the FREE version of Cubase given with audio interfaces), still is limited by the MBox and such, which is a very average interface to say the least, especially the lower USB MBox's.

I mean. if you like it, you like it, and fair play. It is good for audio and audio editing, and the beat detective and timewarping is good, I grant you that.

But PT's MIDI is still weak compared to Sonar/Cubase/Logic, it still looks a sequencer designed in 1991 with it's (IMHO) dated and boring GUI (although a bit improved in PT8).

At the end of the day, they only release this stuff in the hope that you will bring your project into a proper megabucks PTHD studio, or invest in such a setup for yourself.

Anyway, anyone should go with what they're comfortable with and one man's dirt is another man's gold - for me though M-Powered and LE are dirt ... :wink: Boo to Poor Tools / Pro Fools and long Live LIVE !!! (the utterances of a self proclaimed fanboy :lol: )
I invented coffee

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:48 am

:D

Well, I base it on using 7.4 PTHD at work *yes, I could never afford that set up at home, for sure* My buddy who has PTLE8 has advised me that the MIDI has improved a bit, but he also assures me that Cubase and Sonar still beat it in that department.

I'm a FANBOY, so I don't do scientific, measured responses, just poor, uninformed soundbites :lol:

Good luck with the sale though and each to their own. I admit, I do love mixing on the work's PTHD3 Accel system, can't deny that one ;)

You'll not convince me on the GUI though. I blame that on Live, once you get into looking at flat on, 2D Microsoft Excel type screens, nothing is sexier than that .... 8)
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:56 am

Yes, I agree on the Ableton GUI. There's so much I love about Live that I wish was implemented in PT (or other apps for that matter) but I want to focus on one DAW and PT seems to fit my way of working.
I invented coffee

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:59 am

I agree with most of what leeds said. I wouldnt even think of using PT as my main sequencer. eek. So unnatural. I intend to stick with Live for that. And I would prefer to continue using Logic/Soundtrack Pro for "more professional" stuff, but when you are trying to make a living in the audio world (production/post production, etc), you simply have to put fanboyism aside and have a PT setup. Even if it's a lowly mbox/PTLE bundle. I've lost a few decent job opportunities already due to my lack of PT experience (companies are not looking to hire quick learners. they want someone who already knows their way around). So, I've decided to jump on the PT bandwagon for my own greater good

EDIT:
i was typing this before the last two replies. So, if you actually use PT daily at work, then you know what i mean. :P

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:11 am

Can't argue with that. Just a fact that if you want to work in a studio, engineering, mixing or production, you have to learn your way around Pro Tools. And if your studio doesn't run it, you will lose some clients who are still wrapped up in the 'industry standard' hype. It's just not that enjoyable for me.

It;s not just PT though. I think Cubase and Logic are similar throttling to most of my creative juices. Although if I were tracking a live band, I would probably use the likes of PT, Cubase, Logic etc as they definately function well in this application of DAW work.[/i]

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:06 pm

Bump.
I invented coffee

dmacintyre

Post by dmacintyre » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:15 pm

Bump.
I invented coffee

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:18 am

somebody buy the man's gear and set his Live free :lol:

His prices are pretty reasonable.