OT: DEAD mouse button on my MBP :'(

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

OT: DEAD mouse button on my MBP :'(

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:47 pm

no i'm not talking about the canadian producer you all love to hate. talking about the actual button on my macbook pro. It had been giving me trouble already over the past month or so, and today it officially bit the dust.

I'm sort of getting by now with taps and double taps on the trackpad, but its not a lot of fun. I still have a few months left on my Apple Care (i think?) so i wonder if this is grounds for a replacement. I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Especially since my MBP is pretty banged up. It's evident it's gone through a lot of abuse over the past 2 and some change years. And what makes me cringe about sending it out for repair is the fact that I depend on it all the time. Can I use this excuse to get a replacement? :lol: Anyone have this happen to them? Some wisdom to impart?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:52 pm

take it down to the apple store, with a stern look on your face. Obviously any dings and such in your computer shouldn't have affected your mouse button.

let them fix it, man. Especially if you like using your trackpad. Oh, and go get a mouse, srsly. Even the fastest of mac-heads will work faster with a decent mouse.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:03 pm

yeah i have a mouse, but i'm constantly taking the mbp on the go, so the built-in trackpad/button combo are a MUST for when i'm away.

I'd have no problem taking it in for repair, except for the fact that I don't know how long that'd leave me computer-less. Guess it doesn't hurt to walk in and ask.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:06 pm

aqua_tek wrote:yeah i have a mouse, but i'm constantly taking the mbp on the go, so the built-in trackpad/button combo are a MUST for when i'm away.
cool, finding out that is really key to knowing whether or not to part with the machine for a lil' while, if you get me.
aqua_tek wrote:I'd have no problem taking it in for repair, except for the fact that I don't know how long that'd leave me computer-less. Guess it doesn't hurt to walk in and ask.
feeling your pain right there... :(

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:11 pm

Generally speaking apple will only replace a whole computer if you have had to have it repaired three times. I had my MBP replaced, it was six months of anguish and pain.
The one i am using now is over a year old and solid as a rock. The one it replaced was poop right out of the box, i had the keyboard replaced, the mother board replaced, the next keyboard replaced, then the battery fell out so apple gave me a same for same swap.
My advice...
If you have apple care go get a new track pad and mouse button.
But don't hang any hopes on them giving you a new computer :wink:
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:12 pm

I think my MBP has roughly the same birthday as yours. I don't have your button problem but a few months ago I started getting pixel lines in my applications, screen "white outs", and as of now can't work more than 10 minutes in Live before it freezes and I have to reboot.

Throw in that I also want slightly more speed, able to use 4 gigs of ram instead of 2, and also update to 10.5 instead of 10.4. Also if I have to reinstall every damn thing then all things point to one solution....

I'm going to the Apple store and getting the latest and greatest.

The way the economy is going I need to do this before I am really fucked.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:23 pm

I don't think I've pushed the button on my MBP's trackpad since I got it. I'm MUCH more proficient with the finger gestures and taps on the track pad itself. I'd actually recommend getting used to that.

One reason I'm excited about the new MBP's, not a fucking button on there to get in my way and take up real estate.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

beats me

Post by beats me » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:30 pm

Oh genius. I thought you guys were talking about something on newer macs or even 10.5 and didn't even know about the tap option until I just tried it.

On the buttonless trackpads on the new laptops I did find it a little awkward when trying it in stores....but that's before I knew about that tap! Time to retrain my brain.

4ace

Post by 4ace » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:38 pm

beats me wrote:Oh genius. I thought you guys were talking about something on newer macs or even 10.5 and didn't even know about the tap option until I just tried it.

On the buttonless trackpads on the new laptops I did find it a little awkward when trying it in stores....but that's before I knew about that tap! Time to retrain my brain.
Yeah the 2 fingers right click and scrolling are sweet.

No need for the button really, but i'd get it fixed if you're still in warranty.
MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2Gb
OS X.5.7 | MOTU Ultralite | Live 8 | Ableton Drum Machine's | Addictive Drums | Conectiv+ Torq | Ms. Pinky | AudioDamage

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:44 pm

the real question is... how long before we get a Macbook Pro Touch? That'd be neat. Say goodbye to the trackpad, and say hello to finger-smudged screens

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:45 pm

Oh, I thought you had a mouse button that would only play offbeat 8th note chord stabs with a release time that gets progressively longer... www.instantrimshot.com

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:22 am

Just go down to the Apple store. I'm sure they will replace it for free since you have AC.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:31 am

Well the time for upgrade is nearing anyways. When the time comes I'll probably just be wondering if I should get one of the new MBP's as my all-in-one, then fix this one and sell it... OR... get an iMac as my DAW/home computer, then fix this one and keep it for mobile abuse... hmmmmmm.......

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:39 am

i had the same problem, they change all of the top, meaning, mouse, keyboard and speakers, it cost "only"320 euros in my case 8O

Bokonon

Post by Bokonon » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:03 pm

This is a normal occurance for me - I type very hard and have trashed two dell (work owned) laptops in two years, and had my Macbook (not pro) keyboard replaced 4 times - for the macbook it can be done in under an hour, and they generally have the parts in stock in my local apple store (Lakeside or Bluewater). I generally book the last or second to last genius appointment on a weekday evening and then say I've got to teach a logic 101 class (I'm a certified trainer) the next day and they tend to oblidge by fixing it for me there and then. I've never paid for the parts or labour - you've got applecare, use it (I've used mine to replace the power supply when it nearly wore through to the bare wires as well as the keyboard and remote control which might have actually been my fault that it broke, they also replaced by VGA adapter for free because it stopped working)