analog or digital?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kingpixel

analog or digital?

Post by kingpixel » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:39 pm

Hi guys, i was wondering what you prefer and why.
Do you use drum racks for your drum loops or do you record them from analog drum machines? I could ask the same about your bass lines.

I have a Jomox Xbase09 (fantastic sound but very hard to use) a FutureRetro Revolution and an old but amazing MC202. My real problem is that although i prefer the analog sound i can't seem to be able to capture that sound very well in ableton.

Have your say and maybe give suggestions on ways to record those instruments and have a good result in ableton.

Thank you

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Use whatever inspires creativity. :D
That's the cheesy answer. I prefer digital because it's less expensive and generally easier to use.

I think your problem is more dependent on how you are recording your analog gear. Are you recording 24 bit? Which mixer/interface are you using? etc.

kingpixel

Post by kingpixel » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi, i tend to use digital for the same reason but i love analog sound a lot more.
I hook my gear to a spirit folio notebook mixer than novation nio soundcard and ableton live...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:08 pm

Analog, but it' a silly question, both are cool, and I wouldn't want to give up either. Digital is where sampling comes from for instance.

creature

Post by creature » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:09 pm

of course you could use digital synths (vsts) for ease of use and then submix and bounce through a dangerous music d-box analog summing amp :-)

http://www.dangerousmusic.com/dbox.html

On my list things to get one day :-)

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:13 pm

Here are a few suggestions...

1. Make sure you are in 24 bit if you use it.
2. Is it the recording or the playback that is low quality?
3. If you can make it sound good, how does it end up sounding bad?
4. Are you warping the audio at all?
5. Are you using a plugin that may affect quality?

edit: Yeah, the analog vs digital thing was done to death here, and I think people are now like "Use whatever suits you." Heh.

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:18 pm

The only Analog I use is the synth called Analog that comes with Live Suite. ;-D
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:25 pm

try both, use your ears, decide what's best for you.

it probably doesn't matter.

I'd take a low quality recording of a great performance over a high quality recording if a bad performance any day.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:28 pm

Tone Deft wrote:try both, use your ears, decide what's best for you.

it probably doesn't matter.

I'd take a low quality recording of a great performance over a high quality recording if a bad performance any day.
Tone. link me to your music? You obviously know a lot about Live and have tons of experience. But I find it odd you never pimp your own stuff.

WHAT ARE YOU HIDING!?!?!

:-D
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:37 pm

those that can, do.
those that can't, post. ;)

I think the web sharing stuff will be great, I have a lot of unfinished ideas, I just get bored of the same loops over and over again. <insert usual excuses.>
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:26 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I'd take a low quality recording of a great performance over a high quality recording if a bad performance any day.

sur ebut whats low and whats high in digital vs. analog? some say digital is "high" (dynamics, clarity), others analog (soundpicture, depth). i think its important that image of music and image of production make a team, cleaned up punk rock is a pity as is mushed disco. but i´d prefer mushed disco over cleaned punk rock.

yes life´s complicated. and neverending.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

kingpixel

Post by kingpixel » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:31 pm

i don't think mine is a silly question, i won't change my opinion according to anybody's answer, and i don't expect anybody to do it either. I know what i like i just want to know what other people like and why. I think it can be a way to discover something that i was ignoring before ;-)

The Planet, i am recording at 24 bit. Is the playback that doesn't sound as good, it's got too much noise. I only apply a compression to my loops (sometimes) and maybe some delay, not much more.

SpaceDub Productions BC

Post by SpaceDub Productions BC » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Machinesworking wrote:both are cool, and I wouldn't want to give up either. .
I concur !
Machinesworking wrote: Digital is where sampling comes from for instance.
Wrong ..... Sampling started years ago when Hip Hop DJs dug thru their parents old funk and soul records and did it all manually thru beat jugglin, this is essentially were sampling came from ! But you are correct as well since actual sampling then moved to the studio and became mostly digital and arranged !
Hidden Music Festival 2010, Kelowna B.C. Canada, June 11-13
www.Hidden2010.com

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:37 pm

lol. You think sampling came from Hip Hop? lol

Chang

Post by Chang » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

the_planet wrote:
I think your problem is more dependent on how you are recording your analog gear. Are you recording 24 bit? Which mixer/interface are you using? etc.
+ 1 And check your warp settings.

To op, its really your interface quality and its ability to capture your analog devices. Lots of studios record ton of analog devices including synths, guitars and analog outboard gear into their daws with perfect clarity and then mix in the box from there with no change in sound quality. Still sound analog.