Can you put half completed, and completed tunes...

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Bagle
Posts: 786
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:45 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Post by Bagle » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:13 pm

you can burn a data DVD

and google answers stupid fucking questions
Anything at my disposal..
http://soundcloud.com/jagle

nbinder
Posts: 867
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:47 pm

Post by nbinder » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 pm

Did you mean the als files? Then the question is not "stupid fucking" and the answer is not as short as this.

Do your als files have dependencies? Non-builtin plugins? Samples?

funky shit
Posts: 3977
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Earth

Post by funky shit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:39 pm

"collect all and save" in the file menu will let u do this.
It saves all the samples and recorded data in the live file.

Then you can move the file wherever you want.

:D
Image

Dexes
Posts: 427
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:45 pm
Location: Vienna / AT

Post by Dexes » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:45 pm

funky shit wrote:"collect all and save" in the file menu will let u do this.
It saves all the samples and recorded data in the live file.
Not quite, it saves the samples in the project folder. So make sure you copy the whole folder & not just the .als file.

funky shit
Posts: 3977
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Earth

Post by funky shit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:50 pm

I was under the impression everybody would move the whole file folder when doing this.
Image

babkubwa
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Contact:

Post by babkubwa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:56 pm

regarding non built in plug ins/vsts -

might be worth duplicating those tracks, freezing and flattening.

Wish I'd done that for a few old projects - my old stuffs from a few years ago is in a right mess.

I always freeze/flatton and collect all now. Takes up a load of space but prevents a lot of probs

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 pm

If you're migrating everything to a new computer can't you just copy your entire Ableton library folder to an external drive or something and then once you've installed Live on the new machine put that library on on your drive and point Ableton to that as the default library?

Why do it track by track?

funky shit
Posts: 3977
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 pm
Location: Earth

Post by funky shit » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:19 pm

beats me wrote:If you're migrating everything to a new computer can't you just copy your entire Ableton library folder to an external drive or something and then once you've installed Live on the new machine put that library on on your drive and point Ableton to that as the default library?

Why do it track by track?
True.
Image

Tone Deft
Posts: 23565
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:24 pm

buy a new drive.

get an enclosure for your current drive.

install the new drive, copy the data from the current drive.

store the current drive as a backup.

less copying, less waiting and you have a complete backup.
oddstep wrote:I agree with all of this. I'm just bored of writing "its music, just listen and trust your judgement"

babkubwa
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Contact:

Post by babkubwa » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39 pm

I'm very wasteful of space - and very disorganized. I have stuff duplicated over several hard drives - despite the "credit crunch", giga bytes per pound has never been better.

having lost a shit load of work a few times in the past, I'd rather splash out on a £60 harddrive as insurance. No time for file management. Duplicate and back up the lot every few weeks.

beatpoet
Posts: 651
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:39 am
Location: Galway

Re: Can you put half completed, and completed tunes...

Post by beatpoet » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:25 am

Steffan wrote:... onto a disc?

The reason why I wanna do this is because I've had a new pc tower and I wanna store all my tunes onto a disc (hopefully) and then put them onto my new pc.

Thanks in advance.
Never, your half completed tunes will eat all your completed tunes if you put them on the same disc.

Homebelly
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Homebelly » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:43 am

Tone Deft wrote:buy a new drive.

get an enclosure for your current drive.

install the new drive, copy the data from the current drive.

store the current drive as a backup.

less copying, less waiting and you have a complete backup.
+1.

Or even, once you have the new comp.
Net work it with the old one and transfer every thing that way.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:52 am

babkubwa wrote:I'm very wasteful of space - and very disorganized. I have stuff duplicated over several hard drives - despite the "credit crunch", giga bytes per pound has never been better.

having lost a shit load of work a few times in the past, I'd rather splash out on a £60 harddrive as insurance. No time for file management. Duplicate and back up the lot every few weeks.
I was running 5 external drives, each one purchased after I filled the previous one and then a slightly larger drive came out. One was even partitioned into 4 smaller drives. A couple months ago I said fuck all this and got a terabyte external drive and I couldn't be happier.

Homebelly
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Homebelly » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:16 am

beats me wrote: got a terabyte external
My god man 8O 8O you got one of those flying lizard things that chased Jeff Goldblome around in Jurassic park??
Don't you think your just asking for trouble?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

babkubwa
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:04 pm
Contact:

Post by babkubwa » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:43 am

beats me wrote:
babkubwa wrote: A couple months ago I said fuck all this and got a terabyte external drive and I couldn't be happier.
not sure about that man. Easier but risky. All your Eggs in one basket. They break easy enough. Even your Lacies aren't bomb proof - can't trust any of em 100%

Post Reply