sample cds

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djfm

sample cds

Post by djfm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:18 pm

Sample cd's.... Is having more always better or do you stick to 2 or 3
im getting bogged down with them
thinking of using just a couple or sampling using vinyl
whats your take on this
is less better??
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

djfm

Post by djfm » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:19 pm

thanks guys
really appreicate the effort to reply to me
one reason im not in the fucking click on here!!!
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

starving student

Post by starving student » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:08 am

wtf are you talking about what click

anyways imo if you can get a good sample managing system going and more importantly stay on top of it then I would subscribe to the ethos that you can never have to many samples, never never never..........

and yes by all means stock up on the vinyL cause old vinyl is where all of the artform in recording lives, all those colors and rich tembres of the process itself, think of vinyl like a convolution reverb crystal ball stargate doohicky from which to retrieve the elements of auditory nirvana and skittles

todays vinyl is by far not the same.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:29 am

I have sample cd's, sample dvd's, rex file dvd's, and wax.

Get all you can get. I have more than I can handle and I like it like that. I know that I have a wealth of samples, so whenever I need inspiration, I can start digging through them all.

Personally, I like sample cd's/dvd's/rex file dvd's because I don't ever have to leave my computer once I rip them all.

Wax is not the same as far as convenience is concerned, but wax has the ANALOG SOUND!!!!!

Oh yeah, if there is a click here, I am definitely not in it. :D
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:31 am

djfm wrote:thanks guys
Are you Christian Bale?

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:34 am

kb420 wrote: Get all you can get. I have more than I can handle and I like it like that. I know that I have a wealth of samples, so whenever I need inspiration, I can start digging through them all.
Same! I never fail to get inspired by some little snippet from my small but fun record collection.

- Nick

condra

Post by condra » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:05 am

I was only thinking about this today. It is just as important to know what you DONT need as what you do need.

I also like to sample offa wax - not because of some pretentious reason but just because I find it pretty quick to flick through a few records and throw a needle down compared to using CDs or huge unweildy folders buried deep in my hard drive. (Lives mediocre browser doesn't help this matter much)

FWIW my favourite sample CDs are the really old classic shit from Zero-G

-

You're a nice guy and all, but we're fucking done, professionally.
no no NO NO
:lol:

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:06 am

Damn! He just Bale'd you!!!!!!!
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 pm

I find sample cd's a very personal thing. I struggle to find any that I like, are good value and contain samples I'd actually make use of. So far I've only found a few old skool house ones that ticked all the boxes.

Though as I mainly use Live for DJ'ing and am more interested in doing mash up style mixes on the fly I get a lot more material from going through my CD collection.
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

brightonalex

Post by brightonalex » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:03 am

clique!

Mr Mowgli

Post by Mr Mowgli » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:49 am

Shameless Plug. :lol:
Ben Jay - Founder, Prime Loops [2GB Free Download for my friends...Click Banner!]

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:36 am

Was gonna answer, but as you're not in the clique...

:wink:

Seriously though, I have loads of them, but TBH I hardly use them. Much more fun to create your own loops/sounds.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:32 pm

kb420 wrote:
Wax is not the same as far as convenience is concerned, but wax has the ANALOG SOUND!!!!!

so if you record it to yer computer, does that mean that it has that DIGITAL sound then?

:roll:

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:02 pm

friend_kami wrote:
kb420 wrote:

so if you record it to yer computer, does that mean that it has that DIGITAL sound then?

:roll:

Well, let me put it like this.

If you can, get 2 copies of a song that you like. One on cd, and the other on wax.

Now sample them both.

Let me know what happens when you do.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

innerstatejt

Post by innerstatejt » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:15 pm

I don't necessarily think you can have too many samples or sample CD's, however there are some things you may want to look into. I often find that recording odd sounds with a mic gives me more inspiring results in some cases.
I think the big issues really comes down to organization. I am far from perfectly organized, so I probably miss alot of great sounds when I really need them. It's important to go through your sample CD's the same way you would browse for music online.... Grab a Sample collection and go through each sound, only keep the ones that really strike your fancy and get them organized right away. Otherwise you'll be digging through 1000 crap sounds before you find that magical sample you are looking for.. often by that time you are wondering "what did i want to do with this sample again?".. time wasted, inspiration lost.

I like to have some "go to" loops and basic kits ive constructed to get a song idea moving. It's kinda like having a drummer with you and just saying "just play me a basic beat that I can jam to". I always intend to change the drums later but I like to get the song moving right away.
I have custom drum kits i've made in Drum Racks from my sample collection. I also have Drum racks presets with only kicks, only snares, only percussion, only hi hats and cymbals. This really makes things move more quickly... Then once you have a basic idea to your song idea, you can go on a scavenger hunt for unique and interesting sounds, because now your song idea is out of your head and won't get lost.

All of these things I have learned from trial and error (and some tips from friends) and i have certainly struggled in this department in the past. Now I am always listening for sounds in everything from the radio, my ipod, or the sounds of the city I live in. when I hear something that I can't immediately record, I take a note on my iphone and email it myself so I don't forget it.
It's also good to set aside certain days to just your own sound design. Pull up a softsynth, hit record and just play around. Very likely you'll have some juicey sounds that you can cut out and save for later use.
Sample CD's can be a great way to build well produced sound library when you don't know how to create or don't have the time noodle around with doing it yourself. It's also great to get samples of instruments you don't own. I am currently looking for a good Nord Lead sample collection. I've heard the Vengeance series is good as well.

Good thread!
Download the FREE PDF: Recovery Songs That Have Lost Their Spark
https://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/recovery