All times are UTC

Post subject: Need Help Orginizing/Work Flow Industrial Hardcore/Breakcore
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:19 am 

Hi all, i have been "writing" a track for a little over a week. but i am no closer to finishing then when i started... i have tried forums on the sites of my "genre" which i use loosely.
i am attempting to write and industrial hardcore track
influenced by
Deathchant records
Rebelscum
Provoke type stuff...
i have a ton of on shots and loops and synths ready to go... im pretty sure i have all the sounds i need to complete the track...
the problem is the arrangment side of things... i was a drummer for a long time so i have the beats down but am haveing trouble getting anything accomplished..
i have the length ish i want the track
would you recomend putting all the drums down first... or getting the intro????
please throw some ideas my way... the ideas are there but the flow isnt
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 am 

are you working in session view? that would be my first suggestion, I worked in arrangement view for a long time but recently went back to session view, i had forgotten how inspiring it can be. I would record a few bars of drums and synths etc and then just start firing the clips on and off, you can always change it later and edit and add fx but if you do that for a few minutes and record everything you do, that is usually a great starting point. Its a pretty rare day when I can't wring something useable out of a session in session view.

BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:34 am 

1. Read Tarekith's guide to arranging here: http://tarekith.com/assets/arranging.html
2. Figure out how to create your own method from that. I personally lay everything out and then subtract parts if I am feeling lost.
3. Buy a song or two from Tarekith as a thank you for providing his helpful resource.

It's a good guide!

Post subject: Re: Need Help Orginizing/Work Flow Industrial Hardcore/Break
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:25 am 

deathkills wrote:
the problem is the arrangment side of things... i was a drummer for a long time so i have the beats down but am haveing trouble getting anything accomplished..
Thanks

If your first instrument is drums then by all means lay out the way you want the drums to flow, beginning to end, and fill in the melodic and bass elements later. Especially if you're going for a industrial sound with breakcore elements, it's mainly about the rhythm.
I started off as a guitar player first, so I end up writing bass and melody lines, then filling in the drums later. There's no 'right' way to do this.

Plenty of modern industrial break style music has melody as an add on to the percussion elements, I say don't sweat it, think of bass and tones as filler, and concentrate on what you know. I would love to have that as a working method personally.

I play a sort of industrial BTW. Welcome aboard. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:48 am 

deathkills wrote:
Hi all, i have been "writing" a track for a little over a week. but i am no closer to finishing then when i started... i have tried forums on the sites of my "genre" which i use loosely.
i am attempting to write and industrial hardcore track
influenced by
Deathchant records
Rebelscum
Provoke type stuff...
i have a ton of on shots and loops and synths ready to go... im pretty sure i have all the sounds i need to complete the track...
Thanks

Two words. Graph paper. Play what you think is best band in world. Mark a pencil notch for every measure on a block for entire song. Listen back 2nd time and write down when intro, pre chorus, chorus, verse, C section and outtro all happen. Follow arrangement guideline of artist you think is great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:04 am 

Cool idea Chang. I do that by taking notes, but your idea is super cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:45 pm 

Thank you all... these are all great places to start...
i will start plugging away. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:49 pm 

Two words. Graph paper. Play what you think is best band in world. Mark a pencil notch for every measure on a block for entire song. Listen back 2nd time and write down when intro, pre chorus, chorus, verse, C section and outtro all happen. Follow arrangement guideline of artist you think is great.[/quote]

i was thinking about this... and decided to just drop a track i really like into the arrangment view and mark it that way

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:04 am 

now that you've got the sounds you want to use together let thinking about what genre you're making wait until you polish everything up at the end. now is the time to think about what you want to say.
think of the song like a story and figure out what story it is that you want to tell, this will give you the intro and rest of the parts that you need.