What VST's should I buy to get Reason sounds in Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pickle Sprocket

Post by Pickle Sprocket » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:51 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Pickle Sprocket wrote:Yes, but I cannot use Reason for private issues.
this needs explaining.
Clearly you are unfamiliar with the word 'private'. It means I will not tell it to you.

I think some of the answers here have been helpful while others have simply been mocking me. I will take my business over to the Cubase forums where they give much more serious professional suggestions.
I taste nice.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:01 am

Pickle Sprocket wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
this needs explaining.
Clearly you are unfamiliar with the word 'private'. It means I will not tell it to you.
aww c'mon, since when do you and I have secrets? :cry:
I think some of the answers here have been helpful while others have simply been mocking me. I will take my business over to the Cubase forums where they give much more serious professional suggestions.
Cubase sounds horrible.

why follow the mold of Reason? seek out your own sounds, go for better synths.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

lunabass

Post by lunabass » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:07 am

Pickle Sprocket wrote:I will take my business over to the Cubase forums where they give much more serious professional suggestions.
i'm not surprised, cubase is way more pro than live :wink:
:: STAK ::
Music for Visual Media
www.staksounds.com
@staksounds

Kilroy

Post by Kilroy » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:11 am

My curiousity is piqued.
Tone Deft wrote:
this needs explaining.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:00 am

as a cubase user and forum member I can advise you that

a) the cubase forum is almost dead. Has been for the best part of 2 years when the mods got really heavy handed and started booting members who had been there like, 5-10 years for dissenting comments or having a sense of humour.

b) you certainly wouldn't be mocked *well you might be mocked, but the SB forum police would soon be alerted* the thread would be locked/deleted and the evil perpetrator warned or booted off.

So if you like heavy handed, over moderated forums with no sense of humour and can wait a week for someone to answer your forum question, then it would be right up your street.

I have had innocuous comments deleted there and been told to 'tone down my negativity, as the majority of cubase users are not wasting their time on this forum, but actually making music with the program' - well, they certainly told me so :lol: and then I went to bed without supper, said 3 hail marys and prayed that the Lord God Cubase.net would pardon my sins :wink:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:06 am

lunabass wrote:i think the closest thing to the sound of the instruments in Reason V4 would probably be Reason V3
hahaha! nice one, and you're pretty much right.

I think his private "reason" is something that's now everyone's business. Come on dude! Spill it! License numbers? A cat fight with combinator?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

gomi

Re: What VST's should I buy to get Reason sounds in Ableton?

Post by gomi » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:23 am

Thor

for this you will need a hammer.
and some lightning.

Subtractor

and old casio can do this for you, the ones with the paper rolls of tape
are best.

Maelström

put some forks and spoons in your garbage disposal unit and sample that.
use it whenever you want this synth.

Samplers:
NNXT
NN-19

I find that a hand held tape recorded does the trick.

Effects:
RV7000 Reverb

get a big metal box, and just route everything into it.
should work.

BV512 Vocoder

no one needs a vocoder

Scream 4

you got lungs, USE THEM

condra

Post by condra » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:37 am

I cannot use Reason for private issues.

I will take my business over to the Cubase forums where they give much more serious professional suggestions.
WTF age are you? twelve?

Can't believe this thread has hit three pages already. Stop wasting peoples time or I'll tell your mom.

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 pm

Pickles,
You're just being silly with that "private" thing. I'd recommend going with Reason. It is a good learning tool for learning about synths. Thor is great, and the cartoony interface is fun.
If you don't want to go in that direction and don't like the Ableton GUI, I'd go with the following:
Kontakt 3 (although Sampler should do the trick)
FM8
Massive
Zebra 2

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:12 pm

Yo pickle guy, I have no idea why people are jumping all over you because you're looking for things similar to reason synths, but I'll offer a few suggestions. And I think it's ridiculous when people's advice to a question like this is to buy reason. What a fucking retard piece of advice when it is exaclt the opposite of what you're looking for. It is far nicer to work with just one program and have entire songs saved in one file. (Although I also don't understand why your reasons for not wanting reason are 'private' but that's besides the point.

Thor - Zebra2, Absynth4, Tera3, Reaktor
Subtractor - Imposcar, sylenth1, albino 3, Massive, and a million others that are way better than subtractor.
Maelström - Symptohm, Alchemy, Absynth4

Samplers:
NNXT,NN-19 - Ableton sampler, Kontakt3

Effects:
RV7000 Reverb - Arts Acoustic Reverb, Wavearts Masterverb, CSR Reverb
BV512 Vocoder - New ableton Live 8 vocoder
Scream 4 = Ohmicide, predatohm, kombinat, Izotope Trash

And the Redrum Drum Machine. -Ableton Drum Racks

And what sample libraries should I purchase that have the closest content to what Reason 4 has to offer? -Ableton EIC, Kontakt 3

And fyi, you don't need to buy a different synth to replace each one of those. Many synths like zebra, tera, absynth can do most of what all of them can do combined, and more. If I were you I'd buy one simple synth and one modular monster for variety. Like Sylenth1 and Absynth/Zebra. Or Operator and Alchemy. some combination of whatever you like the sound of after trying the demos.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:15 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Yo pickle guy, I have no idea why people are jumping all over you because you're looking for things similar to reason synths
because we can? there have been very interesting answers though.
And I think it's ridiculous when people's advice to a question like this is to buy reason. What a fucking retard piece of advice when it is exaclt the opposite of what you're looking for. It is far nicer to work with just one program and have entire songs saved in one file.
it's very strange to set your standards to have to sound like Reason. I'm not going to start up with 'Reason sounds like crap' but Reason does not have the reputation as being THE amazing synth machine. why he has a hard on for that software's sound is very strange. it's like he has a crush on a fat chick that he can never have due to issues so he's chubby chasing look-a-likes.
Adonis wrote:curious
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:31 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote: If I were you I'd buy one simple synth and one modular monster for variety. Like Sylenth1 and Absynth/Zebra. Or Operator and Alchemy. some combination of whatever you like the sound of after trying the demos.
yay for operator alchemy combo
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Tone, where do you get all your wonderful pictures? :lol:
Tone Deft wrote:
And I think it's ridiculous when people's advice to a question like this is to buy reason. What a fucking retard piece of advice when it is exaclt the opposite of what you're looking for. It is far nicer to work with just one program and have entire songs saved in one file.
it's very strange to set your standards to have to sound like Reason. I'm not going to start up with 'Reason sounds like crap' but Reason does not have the reputation as being THE amazing synth machine. why he has a hard on for that software's sound is very strange. it's like he has a crush on a fat chick that he can never have due to issues so he's chubby chasing look-a-likes.

:lol:

I agree, reasons synths are nothing to set standards against, but it's still a reasonable request to look for something similar for whatever reason. Maybe because of being used to the interface or design of a synth, or maybe it's just the sound he's looking for. It doesn't make any difference at all. It's just a simple question. Isn't that what forums are for? What makes less sense is to answer a question with something like "your question is wrong, you should not want that." It's a waste of time for everyone don't you think? Maybe I'm just having one of those days where dumb bullshit irritates me. We all get 'em.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:48 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Maybe I'm just having one of those days where dumb bullshit irritates me. We all get 'em.
I can soooo relate. LOL IRL.

totally valid request and an interesting topic.

I think he got caught with Reason crack and is afraid to deal with them.

Pickle - DAW makers don't care if you've been a crackhead, they want your business.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:22 pm

Tone Deft wrote:it's very strange to set your standards to have to sound like Reason.
But remember it's not just the sounds of Reason's synths, he's also looking for instruments that look like Reason's synths. That, IMO, brings the discussion to a whole 'nother level. Unfortunately I'm still too new at this to be of any help in that area...
Unsound Designer