legality of naming a band the same name as a company?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:08 pm

Thanks for the great setup for a sarcasm treasure-trove but I think I'll pass on this one.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Stereo River!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Atari Teenage Riot
The Walkmen

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:58 pm

Emissary wrote:Aphex twin?

he has to get permission thought.
In fact he did.
The name Aphex Twin is derived from Aphex Systems Limited, a brand of audio signal processing equipment. It is used with permission, as was recognized on the back sleeve of his Richard D. James and drukqs albums.

bulo

Post by bulo » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:03 pm

well, you can name it Monolake: http://www.mono-lake.de
:lol:

(edit) I just had a listen to those thieves... :? It's definitely not good for you Robert,
justice is the way to go!
Last edited by bulo on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My tongue spits english like a frog and my head is currently searching for a comprehensive language.
And I shit here

noisetonepause
Location: Second row from the expensive puddle, under ten others

Post by noisetonepause » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:08 pm

My old music teacher used to have a punkish band called A. P. Møller Band, as a tribute to one of Denmark's largest companies, richest men who has an.... interesting past, allegedly. They got sued (or threatened, at least) as soon as their name started appearing on posters, and as a response to that changed their name to Riffelsyndikatet (the Rifle Syndicate), which was a subdivision of A. P. Moller/Maersk that made rifles for the nazis during the war. I think they're still performing under that name...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:19 pm

bulo wrote:

well, you can name it Monolake: http://www.mono-lake.de
:lol:

(edit) I just had a listen to those thieves... :? It's definitely not good for you Robert,
justice is the way to go!
well, I will sue them because their website is so ugly. There is a law in germany that prevents websites from being too horrible, from a design point of view. About their music i don't care that much. Hey, I bet they get more hits now than during the last 12 month...