What would be awesome

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:50 pm

hoffman2k wrote:30 to 60 days. Less if they actually know a thing or 2 about math (which I don't).

Only one person has to create and share it though. Its not like every Live user will have to build everything. The same video explaining what you can do also mentions that everything can be shared.

Thanks. Yeah, that was my take as well after having spent some time on the site, fiddling with the demo, and checking out some of the forums. I'm self taught on Flash/actionScript, and that was about the most intense software learning experience of my life. Jitter seems on par - but less graphic based, and more reliance on coding?

I gotta dive more into Max first, heh. :P
Last edited by LoopStationZebra on Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:55 pm

stonee wrote:ok, this might be a dumb question, but wouldn't a good graphics card take some of the cpu load off of graphics processing?
no, unless it's very new and is using CUDA (or OpenCL)

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:57 pm

blackboab

Post by blackboab » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:44 pm

I think the original poster is absolutely right on .... I'd love to see such an app. Perhaps not integrated with live, but an app in that direction.

Frankly, live is already pretty awsome for creating music synched video sequences (if you think outside the box of 'syncing audio scores to video' ... live is pretty fucking great at doing the opposite, 'synching short audioless video clips to music'). For my workflow all that is missing is video mixing from seperate channels, and a few basic functions such as 'reverse video' ... of course dedicated video effects per channel would also be cool.

Kinda nice to generate 20-50 short clips in premier. put them in live as session clips warped to the master tempo ... fire them off along with a piece of glitching music, and then make micro edits to the music and video in arrangement view ... nothing else quite matches that workflow for creating nice tightly synched video sequences ...

so yes, a dedicated video app with a session view workflow would be awsome

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:17 pm

blackboab wrote: so yes, a dedicated video app with a session view workflow would be awsome
Yeah, but if these sharable MfL creations are easy to download/run/understand/use then I would prefer to spend my money on Live 8 and MfL. If it works and it's easy and intuitive (basically, if MfL lives up to Ableton's standards) then the combo will be more awesome then a separate app.

blackboab

Post by blackboab » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:41 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:
blackboab wrote: so yes, a dedicated video app with a session view workflow would be awsome
Yeah, but if these sharable MfL creations are easy to download/run/understand/use then I would prefer to spend my money on Live 8 and MfL. If it works and it's easy and intuitive (basically, if MfL lives up to Ableton's standards) then the combo will be more awesome then a separate app.
totally

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:09 pm

blackboab wrote:I think the original poster is absolutely right on .... I'd love to see such an app. Perhaps not integrated with live, but an app in that direction.

Frankly, live is already pretty awsome for creating music synched video sequences (if you think outside the box of 'syncing audio scores to video' ... live is pretty fucking great at doing the opposite, 'synching short audioless video clips to music'). For my workflow all that is missing is video mixing from seperate channels, and a few basic functions such as 'reverse video' ... of course dedicated video effects per channel would also be cool.

Kinda nice to generate 20-50 short clips in premier. put them in live as session clips warped to the master tempo ... fire them off along with a piece of glitching music, and then make micro edits to the music and video in arrangement view ... nothing else quite matches that workflow for creating nice tightly synched video sequences ...

so yes, a dedicated video app with a session view workflow would be awsome
video in session?
how exactly do you do that?
i thought video was forked to arrangement only?

xherv

Post by xherv » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 am

stonee wrote:ok, this might be a dumb question, but wouldn't a good graphics card take some of the cpu load off of graphics processing?
It depends on what routines you use. Generally good graphics cards are designed to be very fast at some fundamental operations for rendering polygons (well, triangles) and textures in 3d space. A lot go further into handling lighting, shaders (highlighted, transparent, reflective, etc. surfaces), or anti-aliasing or any number of other things.

If you're using those kinds of routines, OpenGL (which can be used in Max) is a very easy way to do it. It handles a lot of the complicated stuff, you can just feed it the vertexes and textures and it can draw from just that. Also, if OpenGL is used it's very easy to utilize a graphics card - not only do drivers exist, but the card was probably designed around OpenGL in the first place.

So that's the setup. If you've doing something in 3d space chances are a graphics card will accelerate a lot of the necessary routines, and even if not there are cases where you can isolate a routine that a graphics card will do well.
http://www.soundcloud.com/xherv
I know EVERYTHING that I know and you don't know, and don't know what I don't know that you know, so I'll ignore that stuff. Wassup now?