Kaossilator?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Kaossilator?

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:59 pm

I have a $150 gift cert at RobotSpeak to spend, was gonna save it for a down on the APC, screw that, I want toys now. the Kaossilator looks like fun, I also like that I could carry it with me, make beats anywhere.

good device?

would you get something else? I'm OK spending a little more. I also have a gift cert for Best Buy, think I'll get a Nintendo DS10 and have a microstudio I can fit in my coat pocket!!

I'd have it but they're closed on Sundays and Mondays, those bastards!!

www.robotspeak.com <-- the store
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:02 am

the krapillator is a stupid gimmicky toy
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:06 am

not so padawan, yes you should get the kaossilator but i'd get the ds10 first
as the kaossilator does not save anything you make so you'd need to sample it into something which makes on the go a bit difficult, where as the ds you could save your stuff

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:51 am

sparklepufty - have you ever used one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscBTcjE5K0&fmt=18 <-- simple electro session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeQOuNBuJwg <-- the demo video

student - not saving stuff would be a drag, does that matter? it's portable, you can get good at programming it and just jam whenever/wherever. it won't help me progress on my non-existing debut album, but really, so what? it could be cool to just make stuff and let it go, could be inspiring like that. the jam in the video was all improv, but he knew exactly what he was doing.

the DS10 is done, two other gift certs were Best Buy (for the DS10) and Amazon (for the Korg synth app.)
http://www.amazon.com/KORG-DS-10-Synthe ... 197&sr=1-1

OK, the problem is... $150 at www.robotspeak.com what to get? a Kaossilator?

toys toys toys

EDIT the Nintendo DSi comes out in spring of '09, larger screens, camera and 'audio improvements.'
article here:
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/new ... do-ds.html <-- intro
http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/10/liv ... ng-th.html <-- play by play of the press announcement.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:36 am

yes, I used it, it's a toy.

b0unce

Re: Kaossilator?

Post by b0unce » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:01 am

Tone Deft wrote:make beats anywhere.
beats or STFU
spreader of butter

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:52 pm

hmm...i´d love to make beats anywhere but to be honest i think the kaosilator would suck at that. i mean its a synth, u play, its fun...and after that? can u make it into something?... how does one go from playing to production?
MBP - Ultralite MK3 - Genelec 8020 & 8030 - BCR2000 - padKONTROL - NordRack 2

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:21 pm

I'd stay away. Sure, it's $150 - $200 but that money can go towards half of a used SP-12!!

I just picked up a mint condition SP-12 Turbo for $400. That's money well spent my friend.

If you buy the Kaossilator, you are going to go blip, blip blip for about two hours or until the phone rings. The next day you will go blip blip, blip for about an hour. After that your blip, blip, blip will decrease by 15 minute daily increments until it ends up on Ebay.

Your call but to me no midi = toy.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm

I will add that I bought the DS-10 the day it came out. I preordered it months before the actual release. I owned a Nintendo DS already so what was $40?

To be honest I have played with the thing maybe three times. I have a friend who claims to play with it all the time but for me I'd rather learn more about Ableton, my Access Snow or even demo a softsynth than sit around playing the DS.

I guess I don't regret buying it but I haven't really used it yet... maybe some day. Too much better sounding gear to play with!

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm

Yeah it looks like a toy really.

I like toys.
Especially transformers.

Would love KP3 tho.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:25 pm

get one of these, have a portable jam session FOR YOUR MOUTH

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:34 pm

I hear those are bad for your teeth, and, like the Kaossilator, they don't have
MIDI in.

If the Kaossilator had a USB connection which would sync it to your sequencer,
I'd probably already own one - especially if it could double as a MIDI controller.

I've been playing around with it several times at the local shop, but every time,
I find a good reason why I shouldn't get one. I'm getting a Nanopad instead,
cause I really like X/Y pads.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:39 pm

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/10/ ... in-ca.html - 2:00 in

Wayne Coyne's Kaossillator/Guitar Hero double neck guitar....

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:07 pm

gift certificate... www.robotspeak.com $150. I looked and was thinking of the Kaossilator. this is my situation.

I was gonna put it towards an APC/Live 8 but that's months off.

DS10 - portable amusement, there's not much else I'd want from Best Buy ($100 gift certificate.) dunno if I'm down with the iTouch as an option, although a coworker showed me a really cool SPL meter, spectrum analyzer and some other audio tools that were cool (minor, but I like stuff like that.)

I disagree with the notion that a piece of gear has to be used to record. music can be fun with no purpose whatsoever.

ethios - yeah, I was gonna post that, didn't know what the haters would say, didn't care. I think we're the only two who get the genius of Wayne Coyne. the Kaossilator has a 'scale plug in' just like Live, so it can be used to jam with regular instruments.

suggestions appreciated.

happy monday :(
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:38 pm

Tone Deft wrote:gift certificate... www.robotspeak.com $150. I looked and was thinking of the Kaossilator. this is my situation.

I was gonna put it towards an APC/Live 8 but that's months off.

DS10 - portable amusement, there's not much else I'd want from Best Buy ($100 gift certificate.) dunno if I'm down with the iTouch as an option, although a coworker showed me a really cool SPL meter, spectrum analyzer and some other audio tools that were cool (minor, but I like stuff like that.)

I disagree with the notion that a piece of gear has to be used to record. music can be fun with no purpose whatsoever.

ethios - yeah, I was gonna post that, didn't know what the haters would say, didn't care. I think we're the only two who get the genius of Wayne Coyne. the Kaossilator has a 'scale plug in' just like Live, so it can be used to jam with regular instruments.

suggestions appreciated.

happy monday :(
Yeah, the ipod touch is still another $120 away although I think its the better buy personally. ipod touch will continue to grow with the apps. You can run a rather nice sounding idrum program on it already!

Also, robotspeak sells some nice used gear too... what about $150 towards that used Emulator sampler?

By-the-way, nice DJ Shadow inspired sig!!!