Sampler Multisamples import - Root Key and Key Range

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Dan Dare

Sampler Multisamples import - Root Key and Key Range

Post by Dan Dare » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:05 am

Howdy,

I have just bought a sample pack with synth sounds that I would like to create multisamples from within sampler.

There are separate folders containing samples named A1 A2 A3 C1 C2 C3 etc....

So I drop one set onto sampler to create a multisample, but now I have to manually change the root key and the key range of each sample.

I was hoping there might be a way to quickly map samples according to there name.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Destro

Re: Sampler Multisamples import - Root Key and Key Range

Post by Destro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:02 pm

Wondering about this too.

omutumo

Post by omutumo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:30 pm

I've been making a lot of sampler patches lately and the only way I have figured out a way of making the sampler automatically is with 'Slice to Midi' and selecting the Sampler option. However, you need to have a sample for every single note or it messes up (which means you've got to have a huge single sample of every note in succession, which makes a massive CPU heavy 500MB+ sampler) and if you want to add sustain by adjusting the loop on the sample it will take quite a while (although you can do it quite quickly by selecting all the samples and guessing the loop start/end points- you can't do this with slice to MIDI because you are working with one massive sample so the loop points are different)

In regards to the root key (to get to your point), you can get into quite a rapid rhythm moving the root note in sampler. Use the alt+up arrow to speed things up so you don't have to move your mouse away from the key select box (saves a few seconds with each sample which adds up if you are adjusting hundreds).

It's really not that bad, just keep telling yourself 'this would be so much harder 20 years ago'.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 pm

alt+click on the range changes the root key (R) instantly...

if you choose many samples you can change them together..

also..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxUxOzujJAg

Marc450x

Post by Marc450x » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:34 pm

a bit overdue to help the original poster! but came across a problem with RootKey that was messing with my drums and may help someone else (I'm on Ableton8 ). Within sampler, click the 'zone' tab and it shoots up a window with your samples in. On the top left of this there are 6 buttons, one of which is 'key'. I had accidentally done a right-click and 'distribute ranges equally' (when I meant to have done it to distribute midi ranges, but that's another story... :oops: ). Anyway, to reset the Root key to default, highlight all of the samples, click the 'sample' tab in sampler, right-click the RootKey value box and press 'reset to default'. This may not have answered the original post exactly, but since I got here from a search, maybe someone else will stumble upon this and sort out a related problem.

I suppose if you want to distibute RootKey evenly across all samples, my original mistake could provide your answer! In that case highlight all samples (after making sure you're in the 'key' window, not the 'vel' or 'sel'), right click in the window and click 'distribute ranges equally' or 'around root key', whichever suits what you're trying to do.