Incredible Tutorials for Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Incredible Tutorials for Live

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:03 pm

I wanted to plug Nick The Zombie's website: http://nickstutorials.com/

He has some AMAZING video tutorials that show you some great sound design possibilities for Live from basic waveform generation/sampling. The techniques lead to abstract sounds and insane sonic output. And the beauty of it is that you learn step by step how to make almost any sound into a musical instrument.

To give you a quick example, if you're a fan of old FSOL, and you could never figure out how they got those other worldly alien-esque ethereal soundscapes, these tutorials will show you how.

The other added benefit is that you'll learn your Live tools like Sampler and Simpler REALLY well.

Mad props to Nick for creating a fantastic set of videos. Totally worth the asking price!!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

+1

I've definitely said it before on this site, proppage due to the zombie.

If you want to know what simpler and sampler can really do, these are for you.

Thoroughly enjoyable vids!

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:37 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words :D I'm really happy to hear that people are digging the tutorials. Sound Design vol. 2 is being made now, so hopefully I'll be able to get that released in the near future.

- Nick

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:38 pm

^ excellent! looking forward to it, Nick - your videos are very inspiring!!

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:50 pm

what I'm sayin.........

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:00 pm

I will be getting these this weekend. I decided not to wait until Obama's extra $13 a week kicks in.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:06 pm

beats me wrote:I will be getting these this weekend. I decided not to wait until Obama's extra $13 a week kicks in.
LOL, thanks for the support man :)

Rahlo

Re: Incredible Tutorials for Live

Post by Rahlo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:09 am

nebulae wrote:I wanted to plug Nick The Zombie's website: http://nickstutorials.com/

He has some AMAZING video tutorials that show you some great sound design possibilities for Live from basic waveform generation/sampling. The techniques lead to abstract sounds and insane sonic output. And the beauty of it is that you learn step by step how to make almost any sound into a musical instrument.

To give you a quick example, if you're a fan of old FSOL, and you could never figure out how they got those other worldly alien-esque ethereal soundscapes, these tutorials will show you how.

The other added benefit is that you'll learn your Live tools like Sampler and Simpler REALLY well.

Mad props to Nick for creating a fantastic set of videos. Totally worth the asking price!!
Big co-sign here! Been using Live since version 2, and know my way around it extremely well! I learned some sweet new ways to do stuff by watching his videos.

Mos def worth the loochie, imo.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:16 am

very cool ... any other tutes out there? i would like one on specific workflow within session. like even to see how people set it up and do an entire song with it... ya know?

im a new full live user and am moving from mackie tracktion which is a simplified ver of the arrange mode :)

RonC
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:17 am

Forge has some great tutorials as well. There are a couple of other tutorials - AskVideo and one more. But I'd highly recommend the guys on the forum, as they will likely give you more insider stuff. Keep it in the family :)

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:23 am

I just used your demo youtube video to create my first completely useless sound! That's not a diss. I've never designed a sound from scratch before, useless or otherwise. It's all uphill from here.

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:57 am

beats me wrote:I just used your demo youtube video to create my first completely useless sound! That's not a diss. I've never designed a sound from scratch before, useless or otherwise. It's all uphill from here.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:09 am

Beats likes to start at the bottom and climb his way to the top. Along the way, it's all strippers-n-blow!

Chang

Post by Chang » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:39 am

I mean really, with all these brilliant videos of all that Live can actually do I have to laugh when people complain about some of the Live wanted wishes updates. Future sound of London was brought up. They take an Eventide with 15 year old technology and make brilliant music long ago but somehow people need new Live wishes to make same thing happen when its right there in front of you. The DAW envelope has been pushed to absurdity imo as far as wishlist.

FSOL, Eon and Orbital had a tenth of what Live can do at their disposal at the time yet people still complain for more Live wishlist in 2009 thinking it will make them sound brilliant or better. It wont.

end blabing. good videos.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:32 am

beats me wrote:I just used your demo youtube video to create my first completely useless sound! That's not a diss. I've never designed a sound from scratch before, useless or otherwise. It's all uphill from here.
:lol:

Yeah, that'll happen occasionally. I've found over the years while using these techniques that with practice you will start to learn when you're about to take a wrong turn into useless-sound-land ;) Equally important is knowing when to STOP developing a single sound and work on the track as a whole. Then go back and add the details once you have more context within the track. For instance, don't add a huge, drawn out sustain phase on your sound when you don't know whether it's going to end up being a stab or a pad. That sounds obvious, but in the head of the moment it's easy to lose perspective of how your sound is going to service the most important thing: the finished song!

Interesting conversation that has spawned out of this.

- Nick