New York Post Racism

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kb420

New York Post Racism

Post by kb420 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:04 am

http://news.outlookindia.com/item.aspx?654316

I thought Obama getting elected was a good thing. Now young African Americans are growning up in a world where the statement "You can be anything you want to be, even the President of the United States" is a true statement.

But I guess in some ways, him being elected only sparks more racism.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

bytheriver

Post by bytheriver » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:42 pm

You can look at it in two ways.

Way 1: Its sickening racism.

Way 2: Its people finally feeling skin colour is no big deal, and you can make a joke about it like you can with Bushes IQ/Speaking, Clintons love life etc.

thesmallisbeautiful

Post by thesmallisbeautiful » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:00 pm

I'm all for a relaxed view of racial issues, I think being able to laugh at things is pretty much always a better way of dealing with it than freaking out.

That being said, you can't compare Obama's race to Clinton's love life, that being a choice that Clinton made, and the fact that he cheated reflects on his character and ability to do the job he was elected to do, not that I ever gave a shit about that, in a way that Obama's race really doesn't (or shouldn't).

Same with Bush, his IQ had serious ramifications on his ability to govern the country, and calling someone stupid is not the same thing as having a laugh at calling black people monkeys. That shit is so so so beyond ok that I cannot believe the post building hasn't been firebombed yet (not that I advocate that in any way).

The only reason this isn't getting more steam is that Al Sharpton is leading the charge and nobody really takes that dude seriously. But come on, a dead monkey? How is that anywhere near acceptable in '09, let alone ever?

There's making jokes and then there's serious racist bullshit, and there was nothing funny about that comic anyways. What's the joke besides "Obama is black, let's compare him to a monkey that got shot"? That's not even any kind of joke.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:40 pm

He's going to get assasinated

It'sa clear message.

Just watch,

Twinstates will be right. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

morerecords

Post by morerecords » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:43 pm

hes not writing the stimulus bill, I think they are saying the monkeys in the senate, but its the post so I am sure they knowingly printed it regardless

arkoenig

Post by arkoenig » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:14 pm

The fact that the cartoon appeared just after this article should make the cartoon's motive crystal clear.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:17 pm

You are all taking this out of context. Which is what is obviously intended.

It was based on this news story:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090217/ap_ ... zee_attack

:roll:

Get over it. :roll:
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

jonesonyou

Post by jonesonyou » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:28 pm

freedom of speech, this is not about B.H.O.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:41 pm

- sometimes a chimpanzee is just a chimpanzee...

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:52 pm

Machinate wrote:- sometimes a chimpanzee is just a chimpanzee...
Don't make me raise the Muslim militia to riot on your ass (again)!

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:00 pm

anybody who knows me at all knows that i'm a crazy lefty.

but i think this is kind of silly.

- Obama didn't write the stimulus bill.

- its a reference to the shooting of the pet chimp.

- when people call bush a chimp is it a racial slur?

if i just said " a chimp could have written that bill" is it racist?

all that said, it is easy to view it as racist, but i don't think that was the intended message, and i don't think the editing staff at the ny post is all that intelligent. It could easily slip by them. Have you ever read the post? it's a piece of shit. Of course it also leans heavily to the right, so maybe it is intentional.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:04 pm

^ I don't think it was intentionally racist...I do think it was intentionally trying to rattle cages, and timely hiding behind the mad-chimp story. It was an easy win for a right-wing paper.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:20 pm

I didn't take that cartoon as being racist, depends what you read in to it though. I read it as them calling Obama or whoever a monkey as in them being stupid and not fit for the role. Its a pain in the arse that you have to tread carefully around anyone who is different - skin colour, race, religion etc at the risk of offending them.

Jeremy Clarkson got in deep shit for calling Gordon Brown a "one eyed, Scottish, idiot". That had Scottish people calling him racist and blind people calling him whatever you call someone who is prejudice against blind people.

Thing is though, Gordon Brown has only got one eye and is Scottish. Plus a lot of people think he's an idiot and that isn't much of insult anyway. So what's the problem?
MacBook Pro 13" Early 2011 - OS X 10.7.4

jamester

Post by jamester » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:21 pm

arkoenig wrote:The fact that the cartoon appeared just after this article should make the cartoon's motive crystal clear.
I think it's still a little too close for comfort. The motive of referencing a current news story about a chimp being shot by police is obvious; however, using that story to make a reference to "Obama's" Stimulus Bill really comes off as a surprisingly racist message IMO.

At best this is in questionable taste, but I can't help but see it as some racist bullshit, personally...
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:53 pm

tw1nstates wrote:He's going to get assasinated

It'sa clear message.

Just watch,

Twinstates will be right. . .
/!\ Future Presidential assassin spotted. /!\