Analog and Virtual analag hardware synths

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
navitus
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:44 am

Analog and Virtual analag hardware synths

Post by navitus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 pm

I wanna have at least one hardware synth. I miss my JP8000 and Virus C.
The Moog Lil Phatty seems cool but a tad limited.
Would it be a better purchase or a new Virus ?

What about Clavia Nord, Waldorf Q , Prophet 08(analog)

....................or i could run my sofsynths through hi end preamps and comps. Whats a better route ?

Thanks
F

GrooveNinja
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Contact:

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:46 pm

A Virus! No question about it, just do it. And the prices have come down quite a bit, too.

Homebelly
Posts: 2887
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Aotearoa New Zealand
Contact:

Post by Homebelly » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:46 pm

This is a big question.
What do you want to accomplish?
I spent most of last year moving away from softsynths and picked up a Nord G2, an Alesis Ion and an older Novation Nova. My reasons where to unload that job from my CPU. Plus hard ware fits in with my work flow any ways as i tend to work mostly with audio.
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

GrooveNinja
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Contact:

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Homebelly wrote:This is a big question.
My reasons where to unload that job from my CPU.
That's an even better reason for the Virus: Virus Control is just amazing!

Yeah, I'm a shameless fanboy, but it really is great.

navitus
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:44 am

Post by navitus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:05 pm

but how does the Virtual analog Virus compare to the analog Moog ?

GrooveNinja
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Contact:

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:30 pm

navitus wrote:but how does the Virtual analog Virus compare to the analog Moog ?
Well, I am by no means an expert, and I have not compared them side-by-side, but the Virus can sound very convincingly analog and Moog-like. It even has a model of the Moog filter, although I have not really played with that yet. Also, the Moog is monophonic, which made it far too limited for me.

billy rockwell
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:15 pm
Location: winnipeg, canada
Contact:

Post by billy rockwell » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 pm

I have a lil phatty and don't find it limiting at all!
E 6850 Core2Duo 3 Gig ddr2
Live8 Suite
Renoise
Moog Lil Phatty
APC 40
RME Fireface 400


http://balanced-records.com/billy_rockwell/
www.facebook.com/billyrockwell

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Post by 3dot... » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:36 pm

navitus wrote:but how does the Virtual analog Virus compare to the analog Moog ?
moog is monophonic... and is pure analog signal path and control (CV)...

of course you can get sweet ,lush and smooth things out of it...legendary filters...
a moog synth is an instant classic...

Virus is a Synthesis monster...and it's capabilities keep getting 'expanded' ...sorta like live...

like HomeBelly said before... it all depends on what you want to accomplish...
and what kinda sounds appeal to you...
Image

GrooveNinja
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Contact:

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:37 pm

billy rockwell wrote:I have a lil phatty and don't find it limiting at all!
But you can't play chords.

Marx
Posts: 325
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:40 pm
Location: Detroit
Contact:

Post by Marx » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Little Phatty is the best synth I've ever owned. The bass is SOOOO thick and nasty. But that's what I'm after.

I also love it because the Signal Flow is so obvious and basic. When I used to use more knobby synths I didn't really know what I was doing to the sound in relation to all the other parameters. I'd just be like "Turn up the release and the sound will last after I let go of the key," or I'd just think "I want this sound to buzz more so I turn up the cutoff." Also, a lot of the time the direct path the osc's took through the filters was unclear to me...

I'm sure the Access is sick though too. From watching some youtube videos it sounds like it has better pads....

I don't think you're gonna be disappointed either way...

If you need an example of some LP check out the myFace, all my tunes are VERY LP heavy.... http://www.myspace.com/subharmoniks

bosonHavoc
Posts: 1936
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:34 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Post by bosonHavoc » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:54 pm

GrooveNinja wrote:
billy rockwell wrote:I have a lil phatty and don't find it limiting at all!
But you can't play chords.
thats what a wurlitzer is for :)

GrooveNinja
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Contact:

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:55 pm

Marx wrote:Little Phatty is the best synth I've ever owned. The bass is SOOOO thick and nasty. But that's what I'm after.

I also love it because the Signal Flow is so obvious and basic. When I used to use more knobby synths I didn't really know what I was doing to the sound in relation to all the other parameters. I'd just be like "Turn up the release and the sound will last after I let go of the key," or I'd just think "I want this sound to buzz more so I turn up the cutoff." Also, a lot of the time the direct path the osc's took through the filters was unclear to me...

I'm sure the Access is sick though too. From watching some youtube videos it sounds like it has better pads....

I don't think you're gonna be disappointed either way...

If you need an example of some LP check out the myFace, all my tunes are VERY LP heavy.... http://www.myspace.com/subharmoniks
The interface on the Moog does appear to be simpler. I played with it a bit and did really like it. But, no chords was a killer for me. Access' web site has a little player on it that plays samples of many of the patches. I think that Moog's site does, too. I thought that the Moog sounded really retro, so if you want to sound like ELP or the Moody Blues, then it is just the thing. The Virus just sounds wicked, but can really make just about any sound I can think of.

GrooveNinja
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:20 pm
Contact:

Post by GrooveNinja » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:
GrooveNinja wrote:
billy rockwell wrote:I have a lil phatty and don't find it limiting at all!
But you can't play chords.
thats what a wurlitzer is for :)
Sure, if you want that sound. I really love the classic, chimey Rhodes sound.

navitus
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:44 am

Post by navitus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 pm

Moog for Bass, Virus for the rest!!!!!

navitus
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:44 am

Post by navitus » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:09 pm

IS the Moog Voyager monophonic aswell ?? u could play chords by pitch shifting the osc's.

Post Reply