Analog and Virtual analag hardware synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:45 pm

Tone Deft wrote:how do they differ and how do the limits of DACs compare to the theoretical limits of DSP?
da kicks off from the dsp, therefore it goes from where dsp ends and the design of the translation/conversion is lead by the vision of sound they wanna go for. the final step is done by the analog frontend, sure. but: the differnce of da may be considered relative subtle. its not that monitoring nebulas "music" through a 2192 would make it listenable.

if your questions run out... what about "how does the moon not fall from above?"?
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:05 pm

xh9o wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:how do they differ and how do the limits of DACs compare to the theoretical limits of DSP?
da kicks off from the dsp, therefore it goes from where dsp ends and the design of the translation/conversion is lead by the vision of sound they wanna go for. the final step is done by the analog frontend, sure.

if your questions run out... what about "how does the moon not fall from above?"?
wow, you really don't have a clue what you're talking about. I was gonna toy with you but damn, you can't even bullshit your way to a halfway reasonable answer. it's not even a funny answer, it's just retarded.

congrats on losing all cred with the entire forum in under 24 hours. I don't think that's ever been done before, you've alienated hundreds of people around the planet, good job. dissing neb's music when you don't have a thing of your own recorded is the worst thing you can do, stupid move, very very stupid move. people like neb and his dozens and dozens of tunes, and the help he brings to us, now they don't like you.

I'm going to go watch The Wrestler, maybe by the time I get back you can turn this around and make nice with people. that's all we want, play nice, or not, we can be twats just like you, but we're better at it, MUCH better at it, try us.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 pm

xh9o wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:when he sez 'analogish', he's dead right.

that quirte depends on your definition of analog. if it just "dark" and "warm" and "rounded", well ok, then you both are right. if it comes to a more direct value of analogue (like "living") you are wrong.
"living" is as subjective as you can get, it really means zero, nothing, zip, to use it as a term to argue any point about electronic gear. You can't argue from both a subjective and objective standpoint when you intermingle them at will, it just makes you look overtly emotional, and too wrapped up in your own ideas.
Analog in this thread has been about VA and Soft synths VS Analog synths. There are great reasons to like real analog, but because it's "living" is not one of them.

I agree that full on attacks against somebody's music is a lame thing, and something most of us simply won't do. I can't comment on your folk music,
its not real folk, its just psychedlic pop punk done with an acoustic guitar.
but yeah maybe, but i always find it more helpful when someone saying what he dislikes than pulling words for symapthy. personal rules: if i hate music, i´ll tell you hoping you kick your own ass and develop. if i hust don´t like it, i shut up. if i love music, maybe i would tell sometimes.
I don't give advice on peoples music unless they ask for it. Real quick lesson here, music is entirely subjective, period! The only arguments one can make about a song or recording are purely technical, and of the sort like, "I'm not sure about that break, didn't really do it for me?" Purely subjective viewpoints. Beyond that one can argue about the quality of the recording, but that even can be a part of the charm, IE early punk recordings or 20's music.
Maybe if you were even close to the same genre of music that neb does, you could criticize objectively to a degree, but nothing points in that direction. I seriously doubt anything you said was meant to promote growth on nebs part, what i mean is, that's a cop out, you just got mad at him.

But yeah, it's most definitely folk. I like how people hate the genre they do, or don't want to be labeled.
:lol:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:12 pm

BTW, Tone will crush you with DSP knowledge, he's made his living for years doing DSP work on the hardcore science/programing side of it, so if there's one area it's best to not mess with him in, it's DSP.

It's like going up to the Neptunes and trying to explain to them how to write a hit song.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:14 pm

:lol:

there's a lot of pwnage on this thread

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:24 pm

navitus is two for two on starting entertaining threads this week :P

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:24 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:navitus is two for two on starting entertaining threads this week :P
I was just thinking that...the man is a demigod!

navitus

Post by navitus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:48 pm

:D me ????

Ok, question : whats the deal with the new Waldorf's ?? Q+ , back in the day the orange one was a huge deal.

Apparently its the same company name but totally different people. True ?

I haven't really gone through this thread, seems there is a DSP war going on....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:49 pm

navitus wrote::D me ????

Ok, question : whats the deal with the new Waldorf's ?? Q+ , back in the day the orange one was a huge deal.

I haven't really gone through this thread, seems there is a DSP war going on....

Same developers / engineers different investors. So essentially the same company. Looking forward to their new soft synth! 8)

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:50 pm

^ you're at least a forumuse.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:14 pm

xh9o wrote:
da kicks off from the dsp, therefore it goes from where dsp ends and the design of the translation/conversion is lead by the vision of sound they wanna go for. the final step is done by the analog frontend, sure. but: the differnce of da may be considered relative subtle. its not that monitoring nebulas "music" through a 2192 would make it listenable.

Whew! lol. I've read some bullshit on this forum but that's gotta win some kinda prize. 8O
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
navitus wrote::D me ????

Same developers / engineers different investors. So essentially the same company. Looking forward to their new soft synth! 8)

Hey MW, did you give the Alchemy demo a go? Just curious as to what you thought. I've been loving it - a lot of possibilities. Haven't been a big fan of soft synths, but Alchemy really fills a lot of niches for me.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Huge CPU hit for Alchemy though

aisling

Post by aisling » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:20 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
aisling wrote:
nebulae wrote::lol: LOL, I love it!

Just for that, I won't eat any meat or dairy products for the day. There you go - I'm a lame ass vegan for a day. *hugs*
go easy on the soy though......
http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic/off ... %2Fsoy.htm
Typically derailed thread! :lol:

But this whole link is pretty much bullshit. this quote.
Soy formulas lack cholesterol which is absolutely essential for the development of the brain and nervous system; they also lack lactose and galactose, which play an equally important role in the development of the nervous system. I would strongly discourage the use of soy formulas.
Total, absolute, complete, bullshit. Lactose is pretty much only found in milk, one out of every four white people are allergic to Lactose. It goes up to three out of four blacks, and I'm not sure about the various brown folks.... but suffice to say any "study" that insinuates so idiotically that cows milk, which is easily arguably the most common food allergy, and in all regards, meant for baby cows, is essential for development of the human nervous system... well.

I won't even start in on about cholesterol, personally anybody who's stupid enough to think that consuming cholesterol found in the tissues of other animals has anything to do with your bodies ability to produce cholesterol should look into cannibalism. I mean with that logic, then human tissue would obviously be the best source for useable cholesterol.

Suffice to say, eat what you will, but don't delude yourself, all the longest living people on the planet have the lowest consumption of meat and dairy. It's a simple fact, and nothing some scientist bought and paid for by the meat and dairy industry, (or just exceptionally attached to animal products) can say will change that. Seriously, look into this a bit more, just posting a link to some article that has a serious bent doesn't cut it. Meat is good for growth to a degree, it's why fat, sugar and protein rich diet countries have typically larger people, but it comes at a price of lifespan and diet related diseases like arteriosclerosis, heart attacks, strokes, cancer, Osteoporosis, etc.

The only unhealthy vegans I know are the ones doing too many drugs, it's that simple. OK and a few fat earth mother dykes who eat only vegan cookies it seems. :lol:
I agree it is a complicated and controversial topic that often illicits an emotional (as opposed to rational) response from people (no fingers pointed).
Philosophically, I tend to agree with the vegan dogma.......it is much kinder on the planet.
Biochemically, my close to a masters degree in nutrition still makes it hard to follow the vegan philosophy.......But that is me (even after reading all the vogue books on the subject)
One thing is for sure, soy is considered one of the 7 primary allergens......

My intention was not to be hostile or create tension (unless you wanted to dis neb's music for no sincere reason........)
All the best to you in creativity and inspiration :D
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:27 pm

nebulae wrote:Huge CPU hit for Alchemy though
You're dead on there, neb. You really gotta watch your polyphony, lol. Full chords are often risky, lol. :P

I've got some atmospheric/ambient patches that are serious CPU hogs, but generally I've learned to work with them nicely to keep the spikes down.