Analog and Virtual analag hardware synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:29 pm

^ I still like a few oldies...I think z3ta still has a gritty analog warmth, even though it's like 6 years old! And as for atmospheric pads, I still love White Noise Additive Synth - dial up a BMP image file as an LFO and let it cook - bizarrely alien sounds!

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:48 pm

xh9o wrote:
navitus wrote:....................or i could run my sofsynths through hi end preamps and comps. Whats a better route ?
b

this is definately not. the surface of the gain structure will be improved and the first days it will feel better, but after a while you only would realize that the digital and flat remains through all from somehwere behind the surface of the signal.

What? Here you go again on this ridiculous nonsense on analog outboard in yet another thread.

"but after a while you only would realize that the digital and flat remains through all from somehwere behind the surface of the signal"

What are you talking about? again?

So if one runs a vsti out into an moog filter then into a good pre and record back into computer your once again saying that it will still sound as cold and digital? That the digital signal will be hiding underneath the analog sound characteristic of the analog outboard? So what? The sound has been changed radically beyond just "gain".

All this analog analog analog you keep talking is crazy anyway as the signal gets recorded to your digital DAW and mastered to a digital CD. So what then? Is the CD going to ruin your sound too? Have you ever even recorded a piece of music?
Do you actually own an analog preamp? I don't think so for some reason. Anyone thats ran a vsti through even a Distressor would not be making the wild unfounded claims you are making.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:06 pm

nebulae wrote:^ thanks for listening...no publicity is bad publicity, eh? I say the twat should continue to trash me!

apparently so, I've never felt the urge to listen to your tracks before, yet I'm listeing right now because I had to see how 'terrible' they are.

The Night of the Rain is nice. Not aything I'd typically listen to, what genre would you classify it as? (not that it particularly matters..)

Wallpaper 1 is very listenable as well, it would be great for a hi-tech video game. Maybe a futuristic racing game like Wipeout, for instance.

Just good driving music period.

STRATEGY

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:10 pm

The Night In the Rain is my cousin singing in Bengali. She wanted me to do a pop album for her, so I'm working on some tracks. Not my best work - I kinda threw that together, and it definitely needs to be less cheezy/poppy :)

Thanks for listening to Wallpaper - there's a lot of stuff there that I've performed over the past few years for the laptop deathmatches we did in Dallas. Good fun.

I'm really proud of the Chlorophyll work and my more recent remixes. Check those out.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:10 pm

^^ also, you're right...my music is HORRIBLE! everyone should check out how horrible my music is!!!

:lol:

navitus

Post by navitus » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 pm

Neb, r totally using software and mixing in the box ?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:35 pm

Totally software, totally in the box. But keep in mind, I send my soft synths out of the box, through an analog tube preamp, and record back in as audio. Then I mix in the box.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:43 pm

aisling wrote: I agree it is a complicated and controversial topic that often illicits an emotional (as opposed to rational) response from people (no fingers pointed).
Yup, why I'm generally quite about it. I tend to put it like this, results speak louder than words, the Iron Man competion was won at least three times by a vegan. The healthiest people on the planet tend to come from the places where the least amount of animal products are consumed, I don't think that's a coincidence.
Philosophically, I tend to agree with the vegan dogma.......it is much kinder on the planet.
Biochemically, my close to a masters degree in nutrition still makes it hard to follow the vegan philosophy.......But that is me (even after reading all the vogue books on the subject)
Honestly the healthiest people I know are all vegan, live food types. My dad is the only lacto ovo vegetarian in my family, and has zero physical ailments, unlike the meat eaters, and his wife who also does fish, though she's a stress case, and that's another health concern.
Zero interest in the dogma attached to veganism. I don't think food is where people need to start with the process of becoming more aware and less environmentally damaging, violent etc. and I feel it's distracting from real issues to bring it up in terms of personal politics etc. Hence why I don't have a lot of vegan friends.
One thing is for sure, soy is considered one of the 7 primary allergens......
Yup, right up there with milk, but not as common. The blood type BS at the end of that 'about' link is another pet peeve of mine..... blah, pseudo science, yuck!

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:46 pm

I gotto say, I gave up beef on my birthday last year, and I haven't missed it. In fact, most steak places now really gross me out.

I still eat chicken and fish, but I feel a lot healthier having given up beef.

I hardly ever eat eggs any more as well.

However, in honor of mardi gras, I'll be eating crawfish tonight, care of my own personal New Orleans native, Mrs. Neb!!

LeifonMars

Post by LeifonMars » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:55 pm

I gave up my wife, sugar and white bread some weeks ago and bought Prophet 08 with broken voice board. I must admit, I've never felt better.
MBP OSX 10.6.8, Live 8.4, MFII, Evolver, Monomachine, Octatrack, APC40, Launchpad

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:16 am

Machinesworking wrote:
aisling wrote: I agree it is a complicated and controversial topic that often illicits an emotional (as opposed to rational) response from people (no fingers pointed).
Yup, why I'm generally quite about it. I tend to put it like this, results speak louder than words, the Iron Man competion was won at least three times by a vegan. The healthiest people on the planet tend to come from the places where the least amount of animal products are consumed, I don't think that's a coincidence.
Philosophically, I tend to agree with the vegan dogma.......it is much kinder on the planet.
Biochemically, my close to a masters degree in nutrition still makes it hard to follow the vegan philosophy.......But that is me (even after reading all the vogue books on the subject)
Honestly the healthiest people I know are all vegan, live food types. My dad is the only lacto ovo vegetarian in my family, and has zero physical ailments, unlike the meat eaters, and his wife who also does fish, though she's a stress case, and that's another health concern.
Zero interest in the dogma attached to veganism. I don't think food is where people need to start with the process of becoming more aware and less environmentally damaging, violent etc. and I feel it's distracting from real issues to bring it up in terms of personal politics etc. Hence why I don't have a lot of vegan friends.
One thing is for sure, soy is considered one of the 7 primary allergens......
Yup, right up there with milk, but not as common. The blood type BS at the end of that 'about' link is another pet peeve of mine..... blah, pseudo science, yuck!
I have always admired the HUNZA's (a tribe from Pakistan) who's vitality and longevity have been studied extensively alongside the Okinawan's of Japan.
Their moderate animal protein consumption in conjunction with a calorie restricted diet and exercise (walking about 10-15 miles per day on top of daily "chores") has allowed them to out live their southern indian neighbors with far less the health problems. While both live to old age, the Hunza's have more vitality.

It always blew my mind that Tibetans eat a diet very heavy in animal protein....
The swiss high in dairy....

While this forum may not be the ultimate arena to further the topic, I am VERY glad that your family is healthy, and I wish nothing but continued health, vitality and harmony. I'll bow out and give you the final word on the matter.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:19 am

nebulae wrote:Totally software, totally in the box. But keep in mind, I send my soft synths out of the box, through an analog tube preamp, and record back in as audio. Then I mix in the box.

Why do that? According to xh9o, its a total waste of time.

:lol:

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:21 am

nebulae wrote:I gotto say, I gave up beef on my birthday last year, and I haven't missed it. In fact, most steak places now really gross me out.

I still eat chicken and fish, but I feel a lot healthier having given up beef.

I hardly ever eat eggs any more as well.

However, in honor of mardi gras, I'll be eating crawfish tonight, care of my own personal New Orleans native, Mrs. Neb!!
I don't eat beef or dairy (well maybe goat cheese on occasion), and eggs a few times a month.
I enjoy fish, but it is getting harder and harder to find authentic, non polluted or farm raised sources.....

I do have weakness for a nice lamb curry though :oops:

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

q.musgrove

Post by q.musgrove » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:56 am

aisling! I love the funky tunes on your myspace page. kudos!

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:59 am

q.musgrove wrote:aisling! I love the funky tunes on your myspace page. kudos!
Thank you kindly for listening and the sentiments. I'll be giving you a listen to. All the best to you in creativity and inspiration :D