Analog and Virtual analag hardware synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:32 am

aisling wrote:
q.musgrove wrote:aisling! I love the funky tunes on your myspace page. kudos!
Thank you kindly for listening and the sentiments. I'll be giving you a listen to. All the best to you in creativity and inspiration :D
wait, wait, I think aisling's music is the worst piece of crap ever. it's thin and sounds like diarrhea coming out of someone's ass.

(there, that should get you some traffic)

aisling

Post by aisling » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:40 am

:D being a virgo and my own worst critic, there are days that I feel that way!
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:36 am

I'm August 31st. I feel your pain.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:41 am

nebulae wrote:Totally software, totally in the box. But keep in mind, I send my soft synths out of the box, through an analog tube preamp, and record back in as audio. Then I mix in the box.
hey neb, is there any possible way you could make an A B track so we could see the difference that your preamp makes? like ever 2-4 bars switch between preamp and "only in the box"? I'm curious
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:52 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
nebulae wrote:Totally software, totally in the box. But keep in mind, I send my soft synths out of the box, through an analog tube preamp, and record back in as audio. Then I mix in the box.
hey neb, is there any possible way you could make an A B track so we could see the difference that your preamp makes? like ever 2-4 bars switch between preamp and "only in the box"? I'm curious
Hmm, will take a bit of work, but I can do it, sure.

The real difference won't be felt on a few tracks but more of an aggregate mix of say 10 tracks or more...I can put together something simple and cheezeball in an hour or so.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:14 am

nebulae wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:
Hmm, will take a bit of work, but I can do it, sure.

The real difference won't be felt on a few tracks but more of an aggregate mix of say 10 tracks or more...I can put together something simple and cheezeball in an hour or so.
the hard part would be getting the levels exactly the same so we aren't distracted by it. "I like the louder one"
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:41 am

Chang wrote:So if one runs a vsti out into an moog filter then into a good pre and record back into computer your once again saying that it will still sound as cold and digital? That the digital signal will be hiding underneath the analog sound characteristic of the analog outboard? So what? The sound has been changed radically beyond just "gain".

i was talking gain/sound structure. not just gain-amplitude. sure the sound is changed and sometimes even dramatically, but you can´t transform a digitally sources sound into a sound that is sourced analog. you still hear that your source was been digital. very simpel, take analog synth run it through analog filter/preamp and then take digital through the same hardware and what happens? there still is a relative huge different. and tbh if you don´t see that then.... well, i don´t know.

All this analog analog analog you keep talking is crazy anyway as the signal gets recorded to your digital DAW and mastered to a digital CD. So what then? Is the CD going to ruin your sound too?

not nescessarily. but of course there is a difference between recording on tape and pressing on vinyl and convert to a digital master disc and press on vinyl. even with the best converters. but thats not such big deal, important is the sound source and the processing/mixing. if you just convert the mixed result of all these production steps the digital limitations occur the least. but thats very basical knowledge again.

Have you ever even recorded a piece of music?
Do you actually own an analog preamp? I don't think so for some reason. Anyone thats ran a vsti through even a Distressor would not be making the wild unfounded claims you are making.

sure, i had a very nice broadhurst gardens preamp (bult from an classic console decca engineer), a neve eq and a drawmer valve compressor. it all improved the signal, sure, but i accepted that its still different from using analog sources. right now i use low end stuff, cause it feels cooler. a symetrix 528 amp and a soundcraft folio mixer from 1994. that one sounds good if using the line in without the not so good preamps, but the eq is dissapointing. maybe i must buy some old telefunken/neumann broadcast module for that some day.

so... what is your problem with all that? its just simple truth, don´t start to cry all the time. at least not always in my direction.
Last edited by xh9o on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:47 am

aisling wrote::D being a virgo and my own worst critic, there are days that I feel that way!
nebulae wrote:I'm August 31st. I feel your pain.
August 26th. Don't put much stock into it, but I have to admit the over analytical part kinda fits. :oops:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:56 am

xh9o wrote: it improved the signal, sure, but i accepted that its still different from using analog sources.
there you have it. DIFFERENT isn't the same thing as better.

I'm all for analog, it can be fun stuff, but give it a rest, when it comes down to it no one cares if you used a real moog oscillator through a moog filter or ran single osc in operator into a moog filter or if you plugged a mic into your moog filter and farted on it or if you shoved the moog filter up your ass while you did everything in the daw.

no one cares.

NO ONE CARES.

it's called music, some people used to use sticks and cow skins to make it.

and dont go sayin "well you obviously don't get it" the point is not whether I get it or not, the point is NO ONE CARES.

it's totally awesome you think analog is better. good for you. it's like youre trying to preach the light of jesus down our throats.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:56 am

Chang wrote:Have you ever even recorded a piece of music?

not with a commercial approach, but thats what i´m preparing for. i´m not that kind of guy having no really good songs but producing a complete album with a commercial approach. i have hundred of rough songs/demo recordings, and well, when i find the time and motivation i would work it all out, produce, mix, master, release and make you cry again. maybe even this year.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:58 am

edit.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:59 am

Johnisfaster wrote:there you have it. DIFFERENT isn't the same thing as better.

different in most cases one is better than the other. you have to make decisions, and my understanding of music and tone leads to an analog quality of sound. whats next? forbidding my taste?
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:03 am

xh9o wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:there you have it. DIFFERENT isn't the same thing as better.

different in most cases one is better than the other. you have to make decisions, and my understanding of music and tone leads to an analog quality of sound. whats next? forbidding my taste?
different is just different.

you know what I dare you to do is make an analog synth sound digital. sure a digital synth isn't gonna sound fully analog, but an analog synth isn't gonna sound digital. if you have both you have access to more sounds.

listen to it love it and go with your passion, what is the purpose of trying to make sure everyone in the world knows how great analog is?

you're entitled to your own opinion. alls I said was that no one cares.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:07 am

Tone Deft wrote:it's just retarded.

congrats on losing all cred with the entire forum in under 24 hours. I don't think that's ever been done before, you've alienated hundreds of people around the planet, good job. dissing neb's music when you don't have a thing of your own recorded is the worst thing you can do,

kid, my music is linked in my signature since my profile exists. and for the rest cutie....why should i care if i lose credit here? i mean you´re no musicians, no artists, no producers. you´re just some jealous and annoying internet chatters who play bits around with a well concepted software. :roll:
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:08 am

Johnisfaster wrote:what is the purpose of trying to make sure everyone in the world knows how great analog is?

some entertainment, some social research (whats the problem with all the internet honks? how could we help them?). and better sounding records, but thats not such relevant here as you seem not able to realize ore even write music at all.
Last edited by xh9o on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.