Invaders Must Die

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
loquat

Post by loquat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:19 am

I've only heard a couple of tracks on Youtube. I really like the song Thunder. I was wondering why it was so in-your-face. But the overuse of limiters makes sense. I won't have a limiter until I get my copy of Live 8 so the only way I can really screw up my mix is by over compressing it. :wink:

beats me

Re: Invaders Must Die

Post by beats me » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:13 pm

I gave it another go and I realized something in general. It's been a LONG time since I've really liked a new full album release from artists who have multiple releases behind them. It's like they all peaked out on a previous album and are now releasing collections of sub par b-sides with a few gems.

Are the days of great full album releases dying and being replaced by the artists that release a single great track every few months?

This is sorta threadjacking but can anybody think of a new album that came out from an established artist that you would consider their best to date? Obviously I don't own every album ever released by every artist.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:48 pm

Got this yesterday. Have only listened once but I enjoyed most of it. Nothing groundbreaking but a bunch of fun, high energy tracks. No complaints here :)

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:15 pm

I bought the album today because I do like the Prodigy and I must say it sounds much better than I thought. I think the place I previewed it must have had a really low quality preview or something.

Honestly it's a lot better than I initially gave it credit for. It will be great to listen to at the gym.

creature

Post by creature » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:38 pm

I have listened to it a couple of times now and personally I quite like it. Be interesting to see if it is an album that will have longevity with me, but at the moment I think it's great.

They maybe having a bit of a blast from the past moment, but that is probably a good thing.

Steve

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:52 pm

I think to hardcore prodigy fans (like myself) its a great album. But to people who know of them and just like them really, its nothing spectacular.

Wonder why that is?

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:06 pm

funky shit wrote:I think to hardcore prodigy fans (like myself) its a great album. But to people who know of them and just like them really, its nothing spectacular.
I wouldn't say that. I would fall into the category of know of them and just like them, but I think it's a good album. There's a few tracks I'm not enamoured with, but there's a lot of stuff on there that I really, really like. Warrior's Dance is probably my favourite at the minute, and I really like Thunder too.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08 pm

mkelly wrote:
funky shit wrote:I think to hardcore prodigy fans (like myself) its a great album. But to people who know of them and just like them really, its nothing spectacular.
I wouldn't say that. I would fall into the category of know of them and just like them, but I think it's a good album. There's a few tracks I'm not enamoured with, but there's a lot of stuff on there that I really, really like. Warrior's Dance is probably my favourite at the minute, and I really like Thunder too.
The dirty bass on warriors dance is very nice.

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:20 pm

One thing the album definitely lacks is a certain relevance some of their previous work had. No cultural references, playing with stereotypes, controversy etc..... no real meaning or substance at all to be honest. The only exception being Worlds On Fire... pretty open to interpretation, and so easily applied to anything in the world today really... (e.g. we're all too addicted to computers, virtual interaction... "too close to the wire" ???)

Another thing the album lacks is any kind of rhythmical variety really. Classic tracks like Minefields (probably my fav Prodigy tune) really pushed the boat out rhythmically. Changing up the breaks and grooves here and there, quality stuff. Nothing at all groundbreaking on here. Some real nice drum production and some heavy heavy beats, but nothing you can really "freak out" to...

Still love the album. (Y)
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:34 pm

I never understood what anyone saw in Prodigy. FOTL had like 4 good songs on it and that's it. Never understood how they could be classified as Big Beat. :?:

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:Never understood how they could be classified as Big Beat. :?:
Were they? Missed that one!

I'm a die hard fan. I fucking love it. Even more each time I listen! The whole album does it for me.
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:16 pm

creature wrote:I have listened to it a couple of times now and personally I quite like it. Be interesting to see if it is an album that will have longevity with me, but at the moment I think it's great.

They maybe having a bit of a blast from the past moment, but that is probably a good thing.

Steve
It has the sound of now. It's dated already, i think.
Better than the last album though but that was total shite so...

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:20 am

:lol: at the people going on about their lyrics. Do you really think they spent more than 15 minutes on most of those? I can picture them in the studio recording and going "Hey, what rhymes with...... That'll work." Granted, there are some more lyric-centric tracks but the bulk, no.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:23 am

Breathe the pressure,
come play my game ill test ya.
Psyco-somatic attict insane.

jesus....

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:51 am

For repetitive clever punk type lyrics I prefer Pitchshifter.

If dysfunction is a function then I must be some kind of genius