Invaders Must Die

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Re: Invaders Must Die

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:55 am

not feeling it. too much pendulum in it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:13 am

aqua_tek wrote:not feeling it. too much pendulum in it.
Would you like to join my The New Prodigy is Meh street team?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:43 am

beats me wrote:For repetitive clever punk type lyrics I prefer Pitchshifter.

If dysfunction is a function then I must be some kind of genius
Pichshifter turned shitty quicker than most though. pitchshifter.com is total garbage, the comparison to their earlier less nu-metal approach it's just a sell out attempt to gain audience.
AFA recent albums not living up to their past Pitchshifter are far far worse than Prodigy. :evil:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:44 am

beats me wrote:
sure thing. send flyers and stickers.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:29 am

Machinesworking wrote:

Pichshifter turned shitty quicker than most though. pitchshifter.com is total garbage, the comparison to their earlier less nu-metal approach it's just a sell out attempt to gain audience.
AFA recent albums not living up to their past Pitchshifter are far far worse than Prodigy. :evil:
8O

I won't argue with you because my knowledge of Pitchshifter history is extremely limited, but I will say that I was introduced to their music with www.pitchshifter.com and I LOVE that album, but like I said, not much personal history with them to compare to. But I love the really raw sound mixed with the analog sounds thrown in and and some of the songs have some DEEP low end. It's almost as if the 2 styles and mixing shouldn't work but they pull it off. I still throw that album on when I have had about enough of beatport. I also thought it was way cool that they threw in the tracks on that album with royalty free drum hit samples. I got some serious use out of those in the past, especially one brutal and heavy snare that I haven't heard anything like since.

In general punk really isn't my bag so I can't get into debates about who sold out and when. I know people say Green Day is the biggest punk sellout but good music is good music and I don't have much of a background on them either. Although not Punk, Smash Mouth is from San Jose and before they got signed they didn't sound anything close to what their albums sound like, not really a fan before or after. But it's a known fact, if only locally, that they literally paid for their hit songs that somebody else wrote a la rock Backstreet Boys. I dunno, some of us might do that if it meant we could quit the day job, but I also think those days are over.

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:37 am

In Worlds On Fire is that girl saying "If your so special then why aren't you dead?" from a Breeders track?

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:38 am

Also, I just returned from the gym and let the entire album play on my ipod whilst exercising. If nothing else this may be the most perfect workout album ever.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:25 am

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

8O

I won't argue with you because my knowledge of Pitchshifter history is extremely limited, but I will say that I was introduced to their music with http://www.pitchshifter.com and I LOVE that album, but like I said, not much personal history with them to compare to. But I love the really raw sound mixed with the analog sounds thrown in and and some of the songs have some DEEP low end. It's almost as if the 2 styles and mixing shouldn't work but they pull it off. I still throw that album on when I have had about enough of beatport. I also thought it was way cool that they threw in the tracks on that album with royalty free drum hit samples. I got some serious use out of those in the past, especially one brutal and heavy snare that I haven't heard anything like since.

In general punk really isn't my bag so I can't get into debates about who sold out and when. I know people say Green Day is the biggest punk sellout but good music is good music and I don't have much of a background on them either. Although not Punk, Smash Mouth is from San Jose and before they got signed they didn't sound anything close to what their albums sound like, not really a fan before or after. But it's a known fact, if only locally, that they literally paid for their hit songs that somebody else wrote a la rock Backstreet Boys. I dunno, some of us might do that if it meant we could quit the day job, but I also think those days are over.
Hey no offense meant. I was introduced to them right before .com came out. If you've never heard Infotainment or their earlier stuff, they had a sound almost as heavy as Godflesh with less conceptual psychedelic grooves, really good stuff IMO. They went for a more commercial at the time sound, and vocal style later, like I said, a more nu metal approach.

Here's badly recorded youtubes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFnXYlvX2i0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPWEsrY2PXg

Then again this could all be due to my love of brutal grooves and your love of nice textures, but the vocal change really really didn't sit well with me at all.
Last edited by Machinesworking on Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:25 am

Voodu wrote:In Worlds On Fire is that girl saying "If your so special then why aren't you dead?" from a Breeders track?
yup, they like their Breeders samples.

Ball Sack

Post by Ball Sack » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 am

beats me wrote:
I don't think the new stuff is that good either. But i don't think you like this type of music anyway so stop going on negative about it.

It's not good to go on an slate someone's art, either you like it or you don't.... move on.

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 pm

He's just participating in a discussion on a forum. He's entitled to his opinion.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:10 pm

I like the single "invaders must die" too.

But I guess if the whole album is like this track, I won't be really interested. there is enough D'n'Bass mass production around. and I'm not really onto that stuff.

I'll give it an hear ;)

BTW, I LOVE "never outgunned, never outnumbered", really much more than "the fat of the land". I don't understand why people didn't like this great album...

cheers

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:58 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Hey no offense meant. I was introduced to them right before .com came out. If you've never heard Infotainment or their earlier stuff, they had a sound almost as heavy as Godflesh with less conceptual psychedelic grooves, really good stuff IMO. They went for a more commercial at the time sound, and vocal style later, like I said, a more nu metal approach.

Then again this could all be due to my love of brutal grooves and your love of nice textures, but the vocal change really really didn't sit well with me at all.
Heh heh, the forum turned the album title into a link. Pitchshifter was way ahead of their time. :)

Wow, that is quite a change in vocal sound. I remember not liking the voice that much in the beginning on pitchshifter.com but at the same time it made it unique, and I don't know if this will increase your respect points a few numbers, but I remember reading somewhere that the vocalist couldn't stand his voice either. The older stuff based on those videos sounds like a lot of other metal bands back then, the electro house of it's time…everybody doing it.

I'm no metal noob either. My first "scene" was back in high school with the local Bay Area metal scene. Death Angel, Testament, Forbidden, Violence, Exodus, pre-signed Primus etc. Man how I've changed.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:50 pm

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Hey no offense meant. I was introduced to them right before .com came out. If you've never heard Infotainment or their earlier stuff, they had a sound almost as heavy as Godflesh with less conceptual psychedelic grooves, really good stuff IMO. They went for a more commercial at the time sound, and vocal style later, like I said, a more nu metal approach.

Heh heh, the forum turned the album title into a link. Pitchshifter was way ahead of their time. :)

Wow, that is quite a change in vocal sound. I remember not liking the voice that much in the beginning on pitchshifter.com but at the same time it made it unique, and I don't know if this will increase your respect points a few numbers, but I remember reading somewhere that the vocalist couldn't stand his voice either. The older stuff based on those videos sounds like a lot of other metal bands back then, the electro house of it's time…everybody doing it.

I'm no metal noob either. My first "scene" was back in high school with the local Bay Area metal scene. Death Angel, Testament, Forbidden, Violence, Exodus, pre-signed Primus etc. Man how I've changed.
Do you listen to stuff like Testify, KMFDM or Celldweller/Clayton/Klank?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:28 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:
beats me wrote:

Do you listen to stuff like Testify, KMFDM or Celldweller/Clayton/Klank?
On the more Industrial side I would listen to bands like KMFDM, Front 242, Front Line Assembly, Wumpscut, Velvet Acid Christ, Razed in Black, etc. I'm not really into the more experimental sounding stuff done sometimes by Skinny Puppy or Download.