Pure Softsynths vs. Tube Preamping Your Synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Chang

Post by Chang » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:43 am

xh9o wrote:
Chang wrote:I'm on a laptop, not in my studio so I can't listen to it properly.

priceless.

But since your such a seasoned vet, why not instead of just tearing down Nebulaes mix down, be helpful and tell him the exact steps he needs to take to get it to sound pro to your ears?

its not the mixdown, its more the elements/sources.

My daw isn't connected to the internet troll.

And what a convenient answer on the mix question. The "elements/sources". Are you familiar with the word subjective? and to him it sounds good so thats all he cares about. But let me guess, if he replaces them all with analog sounds that are appeasing to you, it will sound great right? Just keep tearing people down without offering any advice. Do you have any advice thats not vague? How about some advice to get that Depeche Mode sound you were talking about? Without being vague of course.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:45 am

so far, yes, you won´t get such shitty sound with any analog devices i know. but why advising that, its clear like the stars.

and about your internet connection / studio daw. why do you tell me that? i don´t fuckin care. but trying to talb about sth you haven´t even heard and even telling that... thats yeah, a priceless dumbo.

sorry chang kid, but you´re out.
Last edited by xh9o on Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Chang

Post by Chang » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:50 am

xh9o wrote:hell, is here anyone dumb as shit?

Keep asking yourself that question.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:51 am

Chang wrote:
xh9o wrote:hell, is here anyone dumb as shit?

Keep asking yourself that question.

hell. you´re "better" than 10 valium at once.
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Machinesworking

Re: Pure Softsynths vs. Tube Preamping Your Synths

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:28 am

nebulae wrote: Anyways, let me know what you think:
Sounds good, like the tube version better, the most noticeable difference to me is the closed high hat sound. Tubes give a certain glassy sound to high end noise, that I prefer over the digital bzzz. Mainly in my experience tubes brighten up pops and clicks, the kick gets a little boost from the initial snap having a brighter 'pop' to it. Bass is a different story, I like the low bass registers in the non tubed version better. In straight rock, bass players tend to use solid state amps over tubes, for this reason I think, tubes aren't incapable of recreating bass, but solid state and straight digital signal paths tend to push bass better IMO. Basically some of the mid lows are eliminated on my system in the tube version, which can make a bass sound lower, but pushes it back in a mix.

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:32 am

Machinesworking wrote:Sounds good

LOL
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:33 am

^ Interesting - I didn't know about the solid state issue for bass players! thank - learn something new every day :)

xh9o

Post by xh9o » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:39 am

nebulae wrote:^ Interesting - I didn't know about the solid state issue for bass players! thank - learn something new every day :)

hopefully you don´t confuse with all your opinions you read... must be difficult if the mind can´t make up an own picture of it. how not knowing that valve softens out bass while solid state punches bass? i mean its the base of valve that it softens the lows and glossies the highs (which basically is lead by the same character meeting different frequencies ranges). why did you then buy a tube?! because you read somehwere one has to?

hell where have i landed here my lord?
-

feel her fountain....
she dies.

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:53 am

I am not expert, certainly not as knowledgeable helpful and useful as xh90 but to my amateur ears, I like how the higher frequencies are affected by the tube (it's where I noticed the most difference).

To me, the high-end was richer in a way that pleased me.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:54 am

Machinesworking wrote:Bass is a different story, I like the low bass registers in the non tubed version better. In straight rock, bass players tend to use solid state amps over tubes, for this reason I think, tubes aren't incapable of recreating bass,
so fucking wrong, stop it.

and don't ever post about how charging capacitors affect a DCO's output and stop using the term 'DSP', you don't know what you're talking about, you don't know me, you don't know what I do. goddamn, between you and the troll this thread* should be deleted. I'd post what I know about solid state vs tube amps for bass guitar but the twat to reality ratio in this thread is off the scale.

I was trolling you with the Hitler reference. :roll: stop it with the drama FFS.

*OK my bad, I'm watching the Academy Awards at the same time, I thought I was in the other thread, the other retarded thread.
:oops:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:58 am

Tone Deft wrote:so fucking wrong, stop it.

and don't ever post about how charging capacitors affect a DCO's output and stop using the term 'DSP', you don't know what you're talking about, you don't know me, you don't know what I do. goddamn, between you and the troll this thread should be deleted. I'd post what I know about solid state vs tube amps for bass guitar but the twat to reality ratio in this thread is off the scale.

I was trolling you with the Hitler reference. :roll: stop it with the drama FFS.
Stop being dramatic and tell us what you know.
Unsound Designer

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:05 am

Tone Deft wrote: I'd post what I know about solid state vs tube amps for bass guitar
could you?
???

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:21 am

leonard wrote:
Tone Deft wrote: I'd post what I know about solid state vs tube amps for bass guitar
could you?
Yes, I'm actually interested TD.
Unsound Designer

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:44 am

stringtapper wrote:Stop being dramatic and tell us what you know.
lmfao for real.
leonard wrote:
could you?
what can you post about? teach me something, motherfucker. :P

basically, solid state introduces more harmonics so the bass ends up sounding richer.

basically a transistor is a solid chunk of stuff* with impurities in it. the gain of a transistor only has a very narrow linear gain region. say 1V to 2V,
*I can explain if you really want to know.

vacuum tubes work in a vacuum, so the effect of impurities in the device are less, so they have more of a linear region of amplification and therefore can amplify a signal with higher fidelity.

I'd post a plot of a vacuum tube gain curve but I'm missing the Academy Awards show and I never formally studied or designed with tubes, just transistors.

by all means, google it and let us know.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:53 am

Tone Deft wrote:
leonard wrote:
could you?
what can you post about? teach me something, motherfucker. :P
i don't know anything about tubes vs transistors for bass guitar. which is why i asked. i know abit about the harmonics introduced in tubes vs transistor amps, but can't link that to lower frequencies in general.

oh heres a good article about the transfer function of tubes vs transistors in amps if anyones interested
http://www.paia.com/ProdArticles/tubesnd.htm
???