lives new authorization scheme, stump the crackers?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

lives new authorization scheme, stump the crackers?

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:16 pm

I don't know if it's just for the beta or not, but now you drag an authorization file onto the live.exe

if this is the new way it's gonna work I'm kinda curious if it'll stump the crackers for a little while.

I'm sure they were saving this kind of change for such a big release, with MFL coming and the apc40 there is more interest in live than ever before. seems wise to change the authorization scheme to slow down the crackers for a bit.

also kind seems like a "hang on to your hat" time for the abes

whatcha think?
Last edited by Johnisfaster on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

adventurepants_
Posts: 1773
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 3:05 am

Post by adventurepants_ » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:26 pm

I think its a colossal waste of time, and will be cracked by the cream of Singapore and the Balkans in about 3 minutes.

Its the same with games companies. None of the coders involved think it will slow down piracy for a second, but its forced on them by the shareholders/board who think that DRM works.

Im happy to go through the activation charade when i reinstall, as the Abes are so quick to respond with extra activations when requested.

Its still just theatre though.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:28 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:I think its a colossal waste of time, and will be cracked by the cream of Singapore and the Balkans in about 3 minutes.

Its the same with games companies. None of the coders involved think it will slow down piracy for a second, but its forced on them by the shareholders/board who think that DRM works.

Im happy to go through the activation charade when i reinstall, as the Abes are so quick to respond with extra activations when requested.

Its still just theatre though.
well to be honest, last year I did see cracked beta's up on torrent sites. No I wasn't using them as I got into the betas the ol' fashioned way (refresh every 20 minutes until a beta round opens up). so far I haven't seen a cracked 8 beta.

it's gotta slow them down a little bit doesn't it? I mean if people have been cracking your app for a long time then you change the scheme it'll take them at least a little while to figure it out which means a few more sales of ableton before the crack is out.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

the shoe
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:36 pm
Location: London

Post by the shoe » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm

ha ha ha lol
team air are better than the ableton boys - trust me
any type of "new" protection is pointless

xh9o
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:18 am
Contact:

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 pm

it fells like the cracking scene has changed a lot, there even seem much fewer teams out there. maybe since they dodn´t see the point in making cracks for assholes who have money but wanna have anything for free. and this meanwhile has become the mass of internet people, the idea behind piracy has faded therefore and making a crack for a beta... no. not very urgent, though i think there will come one in march, by one of the few good teams left.
-

Image

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

digitalgeist
Posts: 188
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 am
Location: Fairfield, CT
Contact:

Post by digitalgeist » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:36 pm

At least it's not a god damned dongle. :lol:
--
Thanks!
Alex K/ Digital Geist

http://www.digitalgeist.com

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:38 pm

xh9o wrote:it fells like the cracking scene has changed a lot
I'm sure the old school crackers are getting too old to care anymore, and the young dudes are too busy looking at porn to get anything done :)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Post by timothyallan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:38 pm

it's actually a pain in the butt for me, Live 8 keeps hitting my firewall and trying to get to various IP's. I keep getting little snitch dialogs popping up, even if I say deny forever!

xh9o
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:18 am
Contact:

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:I'm sure the old school crackers are getting too old to care anymore, and the young dudes are too busy looking at porn to get anything done :)

yeah porn did really have an dectructive influence on some delicate and good things (like visionary piracy, love songs etc.). it has become quite absolute and therefore maybe obsolete again very soon.
Last edited by xh9o on Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

Image

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:40 pm

timothyallan wrote:it's actually a pain in the butt for me, Live 8 keeps hitting my firewall and trying to get to various IP's. I keep getting little snitch dialogs popping up, even if I say deny forever!
why are you concerned about live 8 calling home?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Post by timothyallan » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:43 pm

honestly, because it f*cks up my recordings and my mood when I have to constantly keep clicking firewall related dialog boxes.

Willyum
Posts: 1194
Joined: Sat May 15, 2004 6:17 am
Location: Jamaica, Queens

Post by Willyum » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm

Yo, at first I was getting all mad like "What's this racist shit" Cause even though I'm black, I get pissed off at racist remarks from either side of the fence.

xh9o
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:18 am
Contact:

Post by xh9o » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:44 pm

get a better firewall?
-

Image

feel her fountain....
she dies.

live7 battery synthlite2 matrix1000 synplant operator moogfilter transverb lofi retrodelay

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Willyum wrote:Yo, at first I was getting all mad like "What's this racist shit" Cause even though I'm black, I get pissed off at racist remarks from either side of the fence.
you mean the Jew stuff? you know I'm completely not serious. I'm white, we are the most ignorant of all races for sure.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster
Posts: 7251
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:34 am
Contact:

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:50 pm

timothyallan wrote:honestly, because it f*cks up my recordings and my mood when I have to constantly keep clicking firewall related dialog boxes.
I've got a firewall, how come I never have to deal with that?

I guess probably cause my studio computer isn't connected to the internet.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Post Reply