lives new authorization scheme, stump the crackers?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:40 am

and what's relativate?

seriously, as I mentioned in another thread a few days ago, if you're gonna use a crack, at least have the decency to not come on the company's own forum and post about it. its shit manners.

I understand its somewhat morally ambiguous, at least for those who buy eventually, but a lot of us here have been supporting Ableton for years and years, from back in the day when it wasn't too clear that it would survive as a company. So crackers are also piggybacking on our investment...but whatever, its a big world and there's room for (almost) everyone. Just show a tad bit of respect.
--
first 1k as chrysalis33rpm.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:41 am

xh9o wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:
xh9o wrote:it fells like the cracking scene has changed a lot, there even seem much fewer teams out there. maybe since they dodn´t see the point in making cracks for assholes who have money but wanna have anything for free.
xh9o wrote:i had a cracked live 4, 5, 6 and 7 running and never had any problem with it.

well... and this shos us... what exactly?
That you are hypocritical. You think?
--

hangar17

Post by hangar17 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 pm

adventurepants_ wrote:I think its a colossal waste of time, and will be cracked by the cream of Singapore and the Balkans in about 3 minutes.

Its the same with games companies. None of the coders involved think it will slow down piracy for a second, but its forced on them by the shareholders/board who think that DRM works.

Im happy to go through the activation charade when i reinstall, as the Abes are so quick to respond with extra activations when requested.

Its still just theatre though.

I am going to steal the contents of your hard drive in 5 secs.
I fell down the musical stairs at the science museum.
It went like : C F# B D Ab A#5 E D B A THUD!

we are airfields
this is hangar 17

the_antagonist

Post by the_antagonist » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:21 pm

Parametex wrote:Back to the topic at hand:

I think the smartest copy protection scheme is the one Ableton had going on some time ago that was these delayed authorization checks. Meaning that the program might work fine for some months or even half a year and then it suddenly would report an error when the user is actually totally hooked on the program already.

So when the program that you actually love and use stops working I think 500 seems like peanuts ...

P.
thats how they got me.....

yoshitosser

Post by yoshitosser » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:41 pm

Why anyone would bother arguing with xh9o and Geezus is way beyond me, it really is. So they're cheeky cunts who boast about using cracked software on the company forum? Fuck them, if fucking Ableton allow them on the forum then I guess that's the end of the story. xh9o is a troll extrrodinaire, if you can't see that then you deserve to get wound up by him.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:57 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
Willyum wrote:Yo, at first I was getting all mad like "What's this racist shit" Cause even though I'm black, I get pissed off at racist remarks from either side of the fence.
you mean the Jew stuff? you know I'm completely not serious. I'm white, we are the most ignorant of all races for sure.
If you are ignorant thats an individual thing and not the sole domain of white people.

On the plus side Live 8 rocks and knows no boundaries in terms of race or creed...except for evangelical christians for whom it crashes on a regular basis to punish them for their sins, which is fair enough i think?

Firewall? get a mac. :D

Problems solved.

As you were.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:12 am

I think I would just switch product if I didn't like the dongle, rather than put up with it for 3 or 4 releases using a cracked version on a laptop for portability.

UNtil recently, most of the top line DAWs had dongles. Logic Pro 7, Samplitude, Cubase and Protools all dongled up. Logic moved away from it but the other 3 still are on dongles. I understand the pain in a portable sense and having broken 2 synchrosoft dongles in my laptop I relate to them being a pain, but both times they broke it was clearly my clumsy fault and if I had a big desktop machine it would be no problem. I have softsynths such as Arturia and Korg Legacy digital which use the synchrosoft dongle too.

Having said this, I still prefer Live's copy protection. Most of Live's cracks previously went 'boom' after a certain time period, so I don't believe our buddy Mr. X, but thanks for making yourself look even more of a sad fool and perhaps Ableton can now ban this individual from our website. If he was funny, I'd say keep him for the entertainment value, but he's as funny as terminal cancer.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:42 am

UKRuss wrote:
Firewall? get a mac. :D

Problems solved.
let me check.... yep, that's still annoying.

where else in life is okay to recommend someone spend $1000+ randomly?

"I'm kinda hungry"
"go buy this awesome sub for $1000"

"it's hot in here"
"I'll fan you off for $1000"

does it make any sense whatsoever to tell somebody that to solve their problem all the have to do is spend $1000? better yet, tell them "all you have to do to solve all of your computer problems forever is spend $2000 on a new computer"

and why does that not make sense? CAUSE IT'S A LOT OF MONEY!
Last edited by Johnisfaster on Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:45 am

problems not totally solved, even Steve Jobs himself recommended a firewall and anti-virus software for Mac, given a recent outbreak of a few viruses for Mac OSX of late - yes, it's obviously not the same level of threat or proliferation as WIndows, but the floodgates could be opening and it always pays to be safe and secure whichever platform.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:44 am

I like authorisation systems that Celemony and Izotope allow currently: allow the user to proceed with simple Challenge/Response authorisation OR opt for an iLok license.

For those of us already chained to iLok or Syncrosoft dongles, adding another license into one of our existing dongles is actually much more convenient than begging, cap in hand, for another authorisation code after an OS reinstallation, etc.
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

angryman

Post by angryman » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:35 am

Geezus wrote:
adventurepants_ wrote:when youve finished digging, can you post your street address?

Id like to come over and help myself to any equipment you might have.

I personally have no problems bypassing DRM with a crack on software that Ive legitimately bought. But to complain about it without even buying the software is just super lame.
its perfectly legitimate to bitch about a authorization scheme before you buy the product. I dont have to buy cubase 4 to think that dongles suck. I dont have to buy live 8 to think that having to request permission to authorize my copy after the nth time would be annoying. I didnt have to buy any music cds from Sony to think that their scheme to install hidden DRM software on my computer was a shitty thing to do.

so kindly take your butthurt moralfag rage somewhere else please.
Man you are such a fucking idiot......your stupid comebacks at justifying your position make you even more worth hating,but so not worth bothering the time to type this message , nevertheless I charge ahead cause your a cunt and it feels good to hate on you, will you ever get the picture cunt or are you just gonna continue being the spiteful little cumhole you are.

Abes ban this waste of spaces IP and report it to his local authorities....

Sorry to the good people here for my language, but its kinda deserved.....
C2 Duo E6600| Asus P5BDlux WFI| 2Gb OCZ| BFG7950| WaterCooling|

Abes7Suite| SSL DuendePcie| Line6UX8| Novation Remote 25SL | Nebula2| DrMS|

Tacam VLA5s|

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 am

I think tying the program to some kind of hardware would be a good thing. For instance the apc40. If they can manage to mass produce that and drop the price i think most people wouldnt mind spending a bit extra. I think to stop piracy you need to reward the legit users rather than do them up the bum with unlocks and such.

As it is now, the people who use cracked software usually get the better product, as they have the freedom and peace of mind to have multiple installs. I often wish i could install live on more of my machines, such as my old laptop for when i go on holiday and dont want to take an expensive laptop. Or my old studio tower, so i could have some kind of cool jam with my friends. I like the idea of some kind of usb dongle as long as it does something constructive and isnt just tying up a port.

of course they could go the propellerhead route and just ditch drm. It doesnt seem to have hurt them. but as someone said earlier is probably a political thing.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:55 am

Emissary wrote:I think tying the program to some kind of hardware would be a good thing. For instance the apc40. If they can manage to mass produce that and drop the price i think most people wouldnt mind spending a bit extra. I think to stop piracy you need to reward the legit users rather than do them up the bum with unlocks and such.

As it is now, the people who use cracked software usually get the better product, as they have the freedom and peace of mind to have multiple installs. I often wish i could install live on more of my machines, such as my old laptop for when i go on holiday and dont want to take an expensive laptop. Or my old studio tower, so i could have some kind of cool jam with my friends. I like the idea of some kind of usb dongle as long as it does something constructive and isnt just tying up a port.
???A USB dongle would hurt you, not help you, as then you'd only be able to use the license on 1 machine at a time. As it stands today, the policy is 2 machines, but if you email them they are very reasonable about working out an extra license for your jam machine that only gets turned on once in a blue moon (I hear).

I don't want an APC 40. I have avoided buying Scratch Live precisely because I do not want a hardware dongle.
--

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:38 pm

Green Lemon wrote:
Emissary wrote:I think tying the program to some kind of hardware would be a good thing. For instance the apc40. If they can manage to mass produce that and drop the price i think most people wouldnt mind spending a bit extra. I think to stop piracy you need to reward the legit users rather than do them up the bum with unlocks and such.

???A USB dongle would hurt you, not help you, as then you'd only be able to use the license on 1 machine at a time. As it stands today, the policy is 2 machines, but if you email them they are very reasonable about working out an extra license for your jam machine that only gets turned on once in a blue moon (I hear).

I don't want an APC 40. I have avoided buying Scratch Live precisely because I do not want a hardware dongle.
I suppose, i dont really have a problem with using it on one machine at a time. I'd just like to use it on the machine i see fit at the time. I dont really mind lives unlock system. i think its just a bit pointless. These things are hacked within hours, and the harder they get, the more of a challenge the hackers see it as. I dont think ableton would lose any money by getting rid of the unlock system. It might be worth doing for one release and seeing how it goes. you could always re introduce it later. Especially if it has any bearing on cpu usage, which is propellerheads main argument, and look how cpu efficient reason is.

Green Lemon

Post by Green Lemon » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:55 pm

Oh, I see what you mean.

Lives unlock system has never bothered me- it seems rather painless.
--