Apogee drops Windows support

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:22 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Apogee seems to have a pretty tight relationship with Apple. I'm not sure to what extent, but there was a while there where it seemed like Apple was going to scoop them up. The Ensemble was the first very Apple looking thing they put out. The Duet feels exactly like a MacBook Pro to me.

I'm a happy RME owner too, but I'd love to slave my MultiFace II to an Apogee Big Ben clock to see if I could hear the difference, or A/B the digital conversion to hear the difference with a Rosetta.
Definitely tight with Apple, It's the only interface that has it's own window in Logic! Serious, the Ensemble I believe has a dedicated interface for it built in to Logic.

Yeah, I realized after getting the FF 800 that I couldn't really tell the subtleties between high end gear after getting to that level, but hey aren't you able to?? A blind A/B would be cool if you can, yr store don't stock Apogee though huh?

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:33 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:Apogee seems to have a pretty tight relationship with Apple. I'm not sure to what extent, but there was a while there where it seemed like Apple was going to scoop them up. The Ensemble was the first very Apple looking thing they put out. The Duet feels exactly like a MacBook Pro to me.

I'm a happy RME owner too, but I'd love to slave my MultiFace II to an Apogee Big Ben clock to see if I could hear the difference, or A/B the digital conversion to hear the difference with a Rosetta.
Definitely tight with Apple, It's the only interface that has it's own window in Logic! Serious, the Ensemble I believe has a dedicated interface for it built in to Logic.

Yeah, I realized after getting the FF 800 that I couldn't really tell the subtleties between high end gear after getting to that level, but hey aren't you able to?? A blind A/B would be cool if you can, yr store don't stock Apogee though huh?
We always stock their stuff, but you can't crack a box open - bring it home - etc etc - then put it back in stock as new. SO yeah. No can do. :(

Anyhow, the people I've known who bought high-end Apogee gear always say that you can instantly hear the difference. I knew this one guy who bought a 16X box and used it with a PC. He had a really hard time getting it to work with XP, and it drove him crazy because it would work every once in a while. He said when it worked it was like night and day, it sound soo much better... then it would fuck up on him and the pristine sound would go away. He ended up switching to Mac and being very happy with his Mac Pro.

sven303

Post by sven303 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Just a thought but when Apple bought Emagic (Logic) they stopped supporting windows.
Maybe apogee are on the brink of becoming a new acquisition for apple. Would kind of make sense really adding an audio hardware company to the portfolio.

Actually having just looked at apogee products they appear to all be firewire, im sure i read somewhere that apple had dropped firewire with its latest hardware. Maybe an apple expert can confirm...im not apple user.

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:46 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:

We always stock their stuff, but you can't crack a box open - bring it home - etc etc - then put it back in stock as new. SO yeah. No can do. :(

Anyhow, the people I've known who bought high-end Apogee gear always say that you can instantly hear the difference. I knew this one guy who bought a 16X box and used it with a PC. He had a really hard time getting it to work with XP, and it drove him crazy because it would work every once in a while. He said when it worked it was like night and day, it sound soo much better... then it would fuck up on him and the pristine sound would go away. He ended up switching to Mac and being very happy with his Mac Pro.
So from the above, am I to conclude that Apogee's switch to being Mac only is because they couldn't write a decent driver for Windows?

Another stir of the pot :wink:

blaugruen7

Post by blaugruen7 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:51 pm

what does this mean?

will apogee be bought by apple?
or is?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:55 pm

sven303 wrote:Actually having just looked at apogee products they appear to all be firewire, im sure i read somewhere that apple had dropped firewire with its latest hardware. Maybe an apple expert can confirm...im not apple user.
They only dropped the firewire ports on the new Macbook.

But since they are getting all buddy buddy with Apple I doubt they are going to produce hardware that can't be used with Apple.

That would be hilarious though.

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56 pm

I just thought of something.

Apple-gee 8O

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:57 pm

I'm completely past buying hardware that needs vendor-supplied party drivers.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:14 pm

Euphonix is also on the bandwagon.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/power-trio.php

Apple's answer to ProTools HD systems?

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:18 pm

aqua_tek wrote:Euphonix is also on the bandwagon.

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/power-trio.php

Apple's answer to ProTools HD systems?
8O

That's some sexy shit right there but I'm pretty sure my accountant will disagree with me.

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:20 pm

if you dont know what word clock is you probably wont be buying apogee anyways.

just a thought.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:22 am

otnooishphoo wrote:if you dont know what word clock is you probably wont be buying apogee anyways.

just a thought.
True, the only time I could have used a dedicated clock was last summer, slaving via adat lightpipe a G5 to the laptop. It worked OK, but an ocaisonal digital glitch would fsu! Wasn't about to spend another $1500+ on a dedicated Master clock though, personally I would rather deal with one machine.

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:36 am

This isn't really news. The Duet/Ensemble would have never been Windows compatible anyway, and that is probably the majority of their sales.
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.13.x, Presonus FS, Live 10.x
Home Rig - i9 eight-core Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlett 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 10.x

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Keddy wrote:I just commented about this elsewhere, but here's my $.02:

I didn't know Apogee EVER made Windows compatible products, so whatever!
Same here. I don't feel the loss.

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14 am

otnooishphoo wrote:if you dont know what word clock is you probably wont be buying apogee anyways.

just a thought.
Quote of the day!
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS