Apogee drops Windows support

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
7G

Re:

Post by 7G » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:45 pm

sweetjesus wrote:apogee can suck my dick
Swear of the month...hahaha:)

ChiDJ

Re: Apogee drops Windows support

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:04 pm

Apogee is the shit. However, it's of little use to most hobbyists. We're talking high end improvements due to high quality clocks, DA, AD converters.

FWIW - I have a Big Ben and a mini-me DA. The clock improved my mixes by increasing clarity and definition. The DA gives me a truer uncoloured analog representation of my digital mix.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Sales Dude McBoob

Re:

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:40 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
otnooishphoo wrote:if you dont know what word clock is you probably wont be buying apogee anyways.

just a thought.
True, the only time I could have used a dedicated clock was last summer, slaving via adat lightpipe a G5 to the laptop. It worked OK, but an ocaisonal digital glitch would fsu! Wasn't about to spend another $1500+ on a dedicated Master clock though, personally I would rather deal with one machine.
You don't need to be some kind of audio guru to get a huge benefit from having a good clock. They're not just for simply syncing multiple devices. You pay the big bucks for the accuracy and musicality of the clock.

The best analogy is to think of all of the processes taking place in your DAW at any given time, even with just a computer and an audio interface running, imagine all of these processes are thousands of sprinklers. Imagine a vast farm with crops stretching out in every direction, and all of the thousands of sprinklers are on. With a sub-par clock, all of the sprinklers will be firing out of sync. With a good clock like a Big Ben, all of the sprinklers would fire in perfect sync, with each water droplet landing in perfect time with one another.

Apogee's strength is that this synchronization takes place with a more musical touch. Now I'm no audio guru, so the following description of the Apogee magic isn't perfectly scientific. Their equipment accomplishes what it does using algorithms that are generated with batches of randomly generated numbers. These randomly generated numbers are put through a process that creates some kind of pink noise that sounds like static. It sounds crazy, but what their engineers did was listen intensively to the batches of randomly generated numbers. I guess they all end up sounding slightly different from each other. They listen to them and very carefully select batches to use that are more musical sounding.

It sounds like smoke and mirrors, but the fact is that you can sell someone a $1700 clock, they'll take it to their studio, plug it in, and let you know next time you see them that they're very happy with the sound they're getting with the fancy clock thing turned on.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:07 am

@ Salesdude
Interesting, though to be quite honest, and a guitar player, who plays with vast amounts of distortion, and who uses distortion like most people use compressors ( probably why I don't use compressors that often come to think of it!). I don't really think it would make much of a difference. honestly the step up from the MOTU 828 I'd used for years to the RME wasn't as drastic as I thought it would be. It was noticeable, but mainly in the pres.

I think if I ran a commercial studio where I mixed other bands it would be a good thing, but as a composer playing gritty industrial rock, it's overkill.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Nothing wrong with dropping a shit platform, ableton should do that as well, in fact all companies should, so that this damn microschrott would be wiped from this earth. or is only left for office junkies.
*** Image GAFM ***