music made with mostly moog

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
freqn

music made with mostly moog

Post by freqn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:18 am

Looking for tracks with mostly moog usage (hardware please). I am contemplating a possible future purchase. Any recommendations for listening?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:12 am

i used to use moog a lot (voyager).

ive found softsynths to be good enough to wow people and the voyager has been mainly used as decoration for the last year.

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 am

Last edited by Darwinist on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:19 am

sweetjesus wrote:i used to use moog a lot (voyager).

ive found softsynths to be good enough to wow people and the voyager has been mainly used as decoration for the last year.
I'll give you a 6pack for it.

I honestly don't know why moog had to rehash the old classic when they could have added some features to make the voyager a little more unique. add band/high/notch filter and it could be a dream machine. it might have costed more but come on, who wouldn't want it?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:51 am

Johnisfaster wrote:

I honestly don't know why moog had to rehash the old classic when they could have added some features to make the voyager a little more unique. add band/high/notch filter and it could be a dream machine. it might have costed more but come on, who wouldn't want it?
Because most people buy it knowing what they'll get. I would own one if I didn't already have a moog. I like the sound, a lot. To agree with you though, Moog should release a new classic analog, like Dave smith has been doing, but maybe they like their sales figures better. :?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote:

Because most people buy it knowing what they'll get. I would own one if I didn't already have a moog. I like the sound, a lot. To agree with you though, Moog should release a new classic analog, like Dave smith has been doing, but maybe they like their sales figures better. :?
I think they should release a really cool desktop synth, like the voyager with all the usual filters and a sequencer built in. maybe only 2 vco's to make it a little cheaper or something. now that would be something special. maybe knob tweak recording the way the electribes work. that would be crazy.

why aren't these companies cool?
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:21 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Johnisfaster wrote: I'll give you a 6pack for it.

I think they should release a really cool desktop synth, like the voyager with all the usual filters and a sequencer built in. maybe only 2 vco's to make it a little cheaper or something. now that would be something special. maybe knob tweak recording the way the electribes work. that would be crazy.

why aren't these companies cool?
I dunno, they're pretty cool, just way out of my price range ATM. I would like to see a two voice at least synth with band pass and high pass filters personally. Moog has a patent on the low pass filter circuitry they use that I'm pretty sure never ran out. It's a big reason why nothing else sounds like a Moog.
What would be cool to me is if they released a poly of some sort.
If I was in NIN or Prodigy or some shit I would definitely have one for live use.

pepezabala

Re: music made with mostly moog

Post by pepezabala » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:23 am

radialson wrote:Looking for tracks with mostly moog usage (hardware please). I am contemplating a possible future purchase. Any recommendations for listening?

Wendy Carlos - Switched on Bach.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:39 am

^^^

On that line Gary Numan's album "The Pleasure Principle" uses fat Moogs throughout. Same record the song Cars is on.

He should have stuck to that sound IMO.

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:55 am

not 100% sure but I think dj mitsu the beats - Rendezvous Feat. Mark De Clive - Lowe is pretty moog heavy. I enjoy it at any rate

http://www.last.fm/music/DJ+Mitsu+The+B ... ive+-+Lowe

gets wicked at the end, but last.fm only plays a little snippet of the track

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:08 am

if price/value wasn't an issue I would take a ms-20 over a moog any day.

freshdrumma

Post by freshdrumma » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:28 am

http://36-15-moog.blogspot.com/

here you go mate, any track you'll find here smells moog

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:39 am

am I the only asshole that still calls it 'moo g'

I've never understood the 'm oh g' crap, even though that's how the dude pronounced his name that means nothing! NOTHING! it's 'moo g'

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:46 am

Schulze & Namlook
Dark side of the moog series

kleine

Post by kleine » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:50 am

my current favs:

Olney - Songs for the Synthesizer (3" edition) (2004)
http://www.greenhornrecords.com/sfts3in.htm
and of course Mort Garson´s Plantasia from 1976.

Best,
Christian