Question for Drumrack / Slicing pro's

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
m:o

Question for Drumrack / Slicing pro's

Post by m:o » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:32 pm

first, i've read the manual and searched the forum with no avail.

my goal is to have a custom made, macro-mapped drumrack preset (empty) which
automatically loads all the wav's i throw at it, to it's sampler-slots.

i tried it with the preset folder ("drop samples at -> Drumrack") - it doesn't load
macromapped drumracks....:-(

i tried it with putting the custom, empty drumrack in the "Drop samples on track view" folder in the presets...:-(

only little succes (but not excactly what i wanted) was to put the custom, mapped drumrack
into the slice-preset-folder. then i could slice loops to this custom drumrack.

is this not possible to have a custom-mapped drumrack which will eat my samples
i throw at it ?!

please help
4770K/Live9Suite/Max4Live/Push/RME UFX/NordModularG2X/Machinedrum SPS1 UW/Elektron Analog Four/MBase11/Adam A7X

http://soundcloud.com/sphereandlowthing

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:29 pm

I'm not sure I get the problem - there is a 'slicing' folder in the defaults folder in the library - save the rack to that (with just one Si/ampler in it) and it should become available in the chooser when you invoke the 'slice to new MIDI track' command

Post by m:o » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:34 pm

the scenario is following:

i have 20 single hits and want to use them in a drumrack.
instead of loading these 20 in an empty drumrack and map
parameters like pitch, attack, decay, FM, Filter, etc. to macros 20 times
i want to have a already made custom drumrack available and throw/load
those 20 sounds in.
as you said, like with the slice feature where all single slices get loaded into
the custom sampler/simpler i want that with single hits...

hope it makes sense, and that there's an answer....
4770K/Live9Suite/Max4Live/Push/RME UFX/NordModularG2X/Machinedrum SPS1 UW/Elektron Analog Four/MBase11/Adam A7X

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:44 pm

how about building the rack, with 20-30 samplers (whatever) and then dropping into the samplers themselves

Post by m:o » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:34 pm

would work, but i thought that since the slice feature can do this, there is a way
to do this with the "normal" drumracks....

alexsg

Post by alexsg » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:40 pm

good topic,
i tried to work out how to do this and failed miserably, is there no way?

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:09 pm

maybe the problem is that you are building a full rack

AFAIK when making a default option you only place one Si/ampler into the drum rack

BTW - I'm not sure if it's just since Live 8 but there is a "make default' right click context option now on devices

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 am

i think the problem he's having is that the 'Dropping Samples > On Drum Rack' Defaults thingum is kind of counter-intuitive when you're used to the Slicing Defaults way of working.

eg: take a Drum Rack with an empty Simpler on pad 1 with some of Simpler's dials mapped to the Drum Rack's macros. you'd think that you'd be able to drag that rack into the 'Dropping Samples > On Drum Rack' folder, so that every sample you drag onto a pad from now on will have its macros mapped, just like the Slicing defaults works, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way; you can only put instrument devices (Simpler etc) in the 'On Drum Racks' folder.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:21 am

oh I see what you mean

I guess one workaround could be to slice a sample and then drop a bunch of samples on top - bit of a bugger, but you'd only have to do it once

Post by m:o » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:27 am

garyboozy wrote:... but unfortunately it doesn't work that way; you can only put instrument devices (Simpler etc) in the 'On Drum Racks' folder...

seems so.... :-(

you're right. my thoughts were about using the "default" folder with preconfigured
racks.

would be nice to have an improvement here !

solong i'l have to stick to the hypno method ;-)

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:29 am

forge wrote:I guess one workaround could be to slice a sample and then drop a bunch of samples on top
yea that's a good idea. probably as good as any but none are ideal :s

just got me thinking about duplicating Drum Rack pads and how its not possible at the moment. kind of a PITA at the mo; select the pad in Chain view and duplicate, and you end up with a 'Multi' pad instead of a new pad. to get that you have to alt-click-drag each chain (or pad) one at a time. bummer.

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=108740
Last edited by garyboozy on Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:31 am

you can put a rack in the defaults>instruments>drum rack folder, that gets you most of the way there, you just have to then add the samples

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:33 am

forge wrote:you can put a rack in the defaults>instruments>drum rack folder, that gets you most of the way there, you just have to then add the samples
...but then dropping a sample onto a pad wipes the macro mappings!
only way round it is to hotswap the samples in each Simpler individually.

forge

Post by forge » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:38 am

bugger! and another problem I've found - I don't know if this is a Live 8 beta bug, but I'm trying to drag multiple samples from the browser to slots and it won't let me - I was sure it used to let you do that

I went through all this about a year ago when I made videos about it, but I have never really liked using drum racks, and since group tracks I only use them as a way of loading presets then I extract to chains and make a group track

I have always found drum racks to be really fiddly and a PITA to work with

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:47 am

forge wrote:bugger! and another problem I've found - I don't know if this is a Live 8 beta bug, but I'm trying to drag multiple samples from the browser to slots and it won't let me - I was sure it used to let you do that
yea i noticed that earlier too. L7 allows it, so i imagine it's a L8 bug.