Converting from AVI to MOV

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
huml

Converting from AVI to MOV

Post by huml » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for converting video formats? From what I understand, Quicktime .MOV format is the only format that Live will accept. I used a couple different converters and after it was converted, the frame rate was all jacked up, no matter how high I put it. it's real jerky and glitchy. I'm overall new to this so any suggestions or ideas would be of great help to me. Thanks again.

Jason

otnooishphoo

Re: Converting from AVI to MOV

Post by otnooishphoo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:08 pm

huml wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions for converting video formats? From what I understand, Quicktime .MOV format is the only format that Live will accept. I used a couple different converters and after it was converted, the frame rate was all jacked up, no matter how high I put it. it's real jerky and glitchy. I'm overall new to this so any suggestions or ideas would be of great help to me. Thanks again.

Jason

i do this with quicktime.

quicktime + perian + export as (quicktime)

works on most every format.

(i'm on a mac)

huml

Post by huml » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:22 pm

I am on a PC :(

So would Quicktime Pro do this on PC?

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:23 pm

huml wrote:I am on a PC :(

So would you be talking about Quicktime Pro?
Yes.

Should be the same on a PC as long as you have the Quicktime component for
playing whatever codec your avi is in.

Then quicktime can convert it.

huml

Post by huml » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Do you have the name of the component that you use for the codecs? I'm upgrading to pro in a few minutes here.

otnooishphoo

Post by otnooishphoo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:48 pm

huml wrote:Do you have the name of the component that you use for the codecs? I'm upgrading to pro in a few minutes here.
I am using Perian, but it's mac only.

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:11 am

Super© converts from anything to anything, blows everything else out of the water... and it's FREE!
http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:06 am

Anubis wrote:

Super© converts from anything to anything, blows everything else out of the water... and it's FREE!
Yup.

huml

Post by huml » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:25 am

Anubis wrote:

Funny you should say that. I downloaded Super and used it. The problem I keep having, no matter which program I use, is the frame rate gets all whacky and glitchy moving. The original video looks fantastic. When I use Super or any other converter, the video jumps and skips really bad.

I'm glad to hear that about Super, I was skeptical because anything free usually has strings attached. I even said to myself that it was so easy and seemed to work the best. However, I'm still having this last problem. Any suggestions?

Nod

Post by Nod » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:15 am

huml wrote:The original video looks fantastic. When I use Super or any other converter, the video jumps and skips really bad.
What's the original vid's actual codec Huml? The extension, according to the thread title is .avi, but that's actually a 'container' rather than the actual codec and could cover a multitude of siins :)

One option might be to properly decompress your avi to raw footage, using something like Virtualdub, berforehand to get a clean re-encode? Decompressed file will be absolutely massive tho'....

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:42 pm

In Super© when you double click on the source file, a window pops up with all the details of that file such as frame rate, etc. Just set the destination file to the same frame rate(usually 29.97). AVI is pretty much uncompressed. I've gotten great results going from AVI to mp4 with Super© and MOV is essentially an mp4.
9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

huml

Post by huml » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks for the replies. I just got back in town, so sorry for the delay.

I got home and the video no longer skips around. Must have been an issue with my computer, that makes no sense, but I have no other explanation. I converted using Super and it worked just great. Thanks for all your help guys. Take care! :lol: