Some things We like to do For Inspiration

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Some things We like to do For Inspiration

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:30 am

1. of course be witness to inspiring people

2.Listen to old song that I've written played backwards, the older the better

3. take one piece of music that i'm working on and play it back through 3 different samplers at the same time, so process the signal by three diff hardware samplers and fudge with it, my samplers are the roland sp-303, kaosspad 3, and korg esx-1 for these purposes, for some reason doing this
yields a different outcome then when I do it on the computer but of course doing it in the pooter is good too :lol:

4. my friendgirl is a pianist so sometimes I'll have her listen to something and then have her redo it, then take are two renditions and mix them together it gets intresting sometimes, not too often though.

5.write music to whatever is happening on the tube as fast as i can including commercials, like really try to just be open to feel whatever the screen is provoking and go back over the stuff later. if you do this for an hour you will get some very stupid music.

6. try to write a whole composition by sight only, turn down the monitors all the way and just try to go soley by the visuals on your computer monitor, what an exercise in futility it is but can be fun and yield good bits to sample from.

7. sometimes when I have writers block I make an effort to write a song about writers block as best as I can by the time i'm done I usualy don't have block anymore

how about you

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:37 am

8. turn down the volume and just go wild in the arrangement view on a completed or uncompleted song and cntrl+E til you can't take it anymore.
everywhere, it's important not to use a slicing tool for this cause it's all about the frustration, then take all the little bits and drop'em into the session view all over the place, give each bit it's own scene and vary the scene tempos. this is actualy not about randomness but if you like hit the follow action cafe, I prefer to think of it as spreading little pieces of rock out on a table and then sculpting them each individualy into something that works together.

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:48 am

Put myself under pressure. Less time to think.

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:56 am

Relax. More time to think.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:28 am

^^ahh yes.

i also like to turn my samplers into modular mayhem, I'm no synthesist guru more of a novice but I like to do things like run my nord electro through my microkorg and the microkorg through the esx and the esx through the sp-303 and that through the kaosspad

and an important thing I've learned is to take myself extremely seriously but to not take taking myself seriously too seriously.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:04 am

starving student wrote:8. turn down the volume and just go wild in the arrangement view on a completed or uncompleted song and cntrl+E til you can't take it anymore.
everywhere, it's important not to use a slicing tool for this cause it's all about the frustration, then take all the little bits and drop'em into the session view all over the place, give each bit it's own scene and vary the scene tempos. this is actualy not about randomness but if you like hit the follow action cafe, I prefer to think of it as spreading little pieces of rock out on a table and then sculpting them each individualy into something that works together.
Damn, this is a really good idea. Gonna try this out soon!

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:18 am

yeah I love that one too. :)

also get some plants

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:34 am

Number 1 for me is turning off the computer. I know some people can do it, but i never make anything of worth waiting for an empty session view to inspire me.

Pick up the guitar, tap a pen on the desk to get a groove, then start on the PC.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:35 am

i like to hold my pee until i do the funky dance

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:09 am

bosonHavoc wrote:i like to hold my pee until i do the funky dance
:lol: hey if it worked for JB then...

stooopid is good when it comes to musical inspiration for all you electribe heads on the forum try turning your electribe upside down so that the screen is closest to you and the arp ribbon winds up in the top right hand corner, sounds dumb but when ever I do this with my esx-1 it makes things feel very different and always sparks something

another good thing whether you're working with other people or alone leave pride on the outside of the studio cause pride can't play.

ThrowAway

Post by ThrowAway » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:38 am

Friendgirl, is that what the kids are calling friends with benefits nowadays?

jasefos

Post by jasefos » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:08 am

Wanking
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

the_antagonist

Re: Some things We like to do For Inspiration

Post by the_antagonist » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:45 pm

i like to start with a dance move and work backwards

shai

Post by shai » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 pm

unplug laptop (if youre working with one) from all external hardware, controllers etc. go somewhere else, living room will do, but the coffee house downstairs is also an option, launch live and compose.

i used to work years just drawing notes on the piano roll without any external controllers. it wasnt always necessarily a bad thing.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:09 pm

+1 for furiously masturbating