who plays live in a band with set song forms?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
sburke1

who plays live in a band with set song forms?

Post by sburke1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:12 pm

I play in a band which has set song forms. The band is open to changing these forms a little but we haven't rehearsed enought imes to iron out cool transitions and extensions of songs. So far, I have been triggering scenes of "stems", or one huge "stem" in the session view, which contains most of the "sequence" BGD VOX, etc.(i strip the bass, gtr, and some drums for my band members to play). This is easy, but I feel limited by this. I would rather be triggering more clips, tweaking etc.

When the band would say "lets take it from the chorus" I would move the scene over to the arrange view. I then thought about triggering locators with midi in the arrange but that feels limiting too. I have to be in session view!

So my question is, for those of you who have to stick to strict song form for atleast part of your set. What are your methods to achieving stable form but still allow yourself freedom and tweakage? Also how do you deal with transitions and loading sets quickly?
Macbook Pro 15'' 2.6 ghz 4GB ram, zero sl, kaos pad, microkorg, roctron banshee, rhodes, clav, motif, fc300

www.myspace.com/samburkecambridge
www.youtube.com/samburkevideo

Jekblad

Re: who plays live in a band with set song forms?

Post by Jekblad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:27 pm

hey man,

have you thought about splitting up the song into a Verse chorus arrangement and then use follow actions. That way the song plays through as normal but you can jump around to each section if you want.

I don't enjoy having to hit a lot of buttons on stage, but i'm the guitar/vocal guy. If you can manage it go for it. Otherwise i'd recommend getting the arrangements set, practice, rehearsing, and playing them that way. This way you can focus on making weird sounds or sampling the band live or whatever.

You would still be able to jump around the scenes w/the last method of you used the follow actions properly.
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

sburke1

Post by sburke1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:02 pm

yo man, thanks for the help. I will try that. That way every track of clips, can "go" on its own, but then I can mess with one clip and just make sure I trigger it back to its "path" when the next section comes in.

Some times my band has little 1 bar or 2 beat pauses before sections. Follow actions will definitely help for those.

In response to your suggestion of sampling the band, how do go about doing that? I've been live looping my percussion player. It works OK but I feel I haven't really figured out what settings to get the lowest latency. This means I have to warp the percussion player's loops after every loop! (to compensate for the bit of silence at the begininning) THat sucks. Do you have any tips for that? I've read a bunch of threads on how to set up the "kid beyond way" but haven't found one on how to achieve the lowest latency. I've tried every possibly combination of driver error compensation, track delay, buffer size. AHHHH. Thanks for the help.
Macbook Pro 15'' 2.6 ghz 4GB ram, zero sl, kaos pad, microkorg, roctron banshee, rhodes, clav, motif, fc300

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 pm

i play in a duo
i set select next scene on launch

then i have scene launch mapped to my foot controller for when i'm playing bass... so i can just scene launch my way down the track
then i have scene up and scene down mapped so i can navigate through my live set with my feet... (i also have other stuff mapped too)

when i'm on my MPD's i can trigger scene launch too but i'm more involved with clip launches and effects sends when i'm in that position.
(i sooo look forward to the apc for this)

my girl can also launch scenes and trigger things too
sometimes it makes more sense for her top trigger stuff.. like when she is playing a lead she just launches the next section of the song when she is done with the lead...

sburke1

Post by sburke1 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:42 pm

I envy your position as part of a duo. I've got 7 people in the band!

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Hey I use Live in my band.. its great.

We have it our songs broken up into pieces (intro, verse, chorus, outro and one off hits / samples if need be) these are all in one set, so i don't really have to go to my computer load up new sets or anything.

I have a Behringer FCB1010 hooked up to control ableton and the drummer has a computer keyboard by his side which is set to launch blank scenes which are set up by songs. For example key number 1 launches the first songs tempo info and also gives him the click we start to play along to him and anything that needs triggering is done by me with my FCB1010.

I almost exclusively launch the scene's by rows (attached a screen grab so you can see the midi mappings) I try to leave each synth and audio track on its own channel per songs as this allows freedom to tweak.. however it ends up with the dreaded diagonal live set!! (Im working on a better way) This is the way we have played live with live for 2 years..

Hope that made sense...
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

NPC

Post by NPC » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:19 am

i play in a 3 element band-me w/laptop &synth, guitarist and singer-and i am constantly changing this set...but almost reached an equilibrium:) My "framework" set is set up with 6 tracks for clips (i have play the core of the songs so you may not need as much,the number of tracks should obviously be the upper limit of contemporary intrums playing in a scene) which are 3 for synths & melodic stuff, 1 for bass and 2 for drums.every track has its own effects,not much apart filters except for the primary drum track;since every track is suited for similar instruments across songs, you can avoid the "diagonal"issue while retaining tweaking possibilities on single clips that are playing.That said, i've managed the scenes in order to have for every song a button which triggers the song tempo -like chrisedmo up here-and then verses,chorus and/or bridges one after the other, to be triggered via next-previous scene &start scene..some of these have a subscene below them, with additional stuff that need not to start with the rest of the scene.until now i used,apart for the other controllers,a computer keyboard with some keys scrapped (spacebar in first place:)) to control the first scenes and the most important parts,mapped in an absolute way to the keys.this way you can easily jump to choruses and whatsoever..if i dont stop now i will probably bother you all day with all the pointless logical masturbation that's behind it!
MBP 13", Live Suite 8.2.7, Remote SL 25, LaunchPad, SL mkii 49, APC 20, Access Virus A, OctaTrack, MachineDrum, Blofeld...