How are M-audio Fw-Interfaces on Macbooks these days?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
LOFA

Re: How are M-audio Fw-Interfaces on Macbooks these days?

Post by LOFA » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:30 pm

A) Take AdamJay's advice
B) Do not waste your money on M-Audio gear. I am lending my fw1814 to a fried semi-permanently because I would feel bad selling it to a stranger. I almost feel bad about lending the box to my friend. No exaggerations over here.

Stace

Post by Stace » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 pm

I don't know about M-Audio or Macbooks but my Firestudio won't work with Live, when I switch over to use the PresonusASIO in Live it turns Lives audio engine off, also my Firestudio has a major problem working when wireless is enabled. I've just bought a Firewire card with a TI chipset so I'll see what happens when I get that baby thrown in!
"Never increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything" --- William of Ockham (1285-1349)

dysanfel

Post by dysanfel » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Apogee Duet!!!!
Gig Rig - rMBP 2.3GHZ i7, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, OSX 10.11.x, Presonus FS, Live 9.x
Home Rig - i7-6700k Hackintosh 32GB DDR4, 2nd Generation Scarlet 18i20, ADA8000, JoeMeek SixQ, Live 9.x

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:51 pm

I don't see how it's helpful to say what amounts to ' M-Audio products are crap, go buy something else ' when the OP already has experience of M-Audio hardware and just wants to know if their latest firewire interfaces have improved.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:33 pm

maksk wrote:Hello
I was wondering...
I had a Firewire 1814 on my Macbook Pro and Powerbook a couple of years ago, and it was horrible in terms of drivers/stabilty....
How are they today? Any progress with the Profires maybe?
M.
You just need to ask yourself ONE question: Are they still made by M-Audio?

If so, then they suck.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

evernaut

Post by evernaut » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm

sparklepuff wrote: You just need to ask yourself ONE question: Are they still made by M-Audio?

If so, then they suck.
Seems so obvious now...how could I have let myself be fooled like that?

Again?

Damn.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:39 pm

evernaut wrote:I don't see how it's helpful to say what amounts to ' M-Audio products are crap, go buy something else ' when the OP already has experience of M-Audio hardware and just wants to know if their latest firewire interfaces have improved.
You don't see how it's helpful? Let's work this one out.

He says he has experience with them - and it was horrible.
Is it any better now? The answer is no.

Soooo, you want us to say what, exactly? "Yeah, man, they are fucking great!! Just ask evernaut, he uses one! The rest of us have had horrible experiences, but who cares! They suck, use it!"

Our answer to his question is, no, they are crap, and if you need to use an audio interface, then we suggest you get a different one.

I'm seeing everybody's answers as helpful. I asked the same question years ago, now I'm a happy camper with a FireFace 400 and Metric Halo 2882. NOT BUYING M-AUDIO is some of the best advice I've ever received or given.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams