[OT] If I see one more music video with..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
condra

[OT] If I see one more music video with..

Post by condra » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:16 am

If I see one more music video with a topless skinny twenty-something either painting his body or wearing beads and feathers and crap like that, or with a mask on, or a fat line of make-up over his eyes....

Or if I see another music video set in a forest, with fire, oil, smoke, pseudo religion, daft costumes or someone wearing funny contact lenses...

or another music video with stop motion animation, or early 90s video effects, or a dude with a drum strapped on...

I'm gonna fooking KILL SOMEONE.

I understand the importance of "scenes" but this MGMT inspired global-village hipster crap is getting so cynical and formulaic. Yes I'm getting old (and cynical in the other sense), and yes I'm jealous of the youthful enthusiasm, but I also think the kids deserve better than this mish-mash rehash of 80s culture.

funky shit

Re: [OT] If I see one more music video with..

Post by funky shit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:21 am

Thats why its cool to be underground.

8)

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:42 am

you vs. 2009

but i do agree, it s a bit tyring to see the same shit rehashed. see ppl now never got to be in the 80's and feel well... left out. this is their attempt at recreating the 80's or well i thinks its 90's now. thats how it usually goes by the way

2007 = 70's
2008 = 80's
2009 = 90's

anyway 2010 should be interesting to see, since no one is gonna dare bring 2000 back, and since 2000 was really the start of rehashing. maybe we'll just eventually fuck it all and put on our future daft robot suits.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:55 am

My guess is it will be Durran Durran style new romantic bullshit soon. They'll mine the same three decades, but with different focus. For a long time it's been Lipps Inc. techno pop inspired BS, so soon everybody will be doing songs that sound like Hungry Like a Wolf, and Too Shy.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:01 am

nothing wrong with the 80's/early 90's. They were simpler, better times... when giant, beautiful dinosaur synths ruled the earth. (of course i'm biased).

The one thing that is indeed annoying is the fact that everyone is now an "old school enthusiast". :roll: Even if they never saw or heard the original stuff in their lifetime, up until now. :lol:

It's not special anymore :cry:
Machinesworking wrote:My guess is it will be... new romantic bullshit soon
*cough* you mean like this?

http://www.myspace.com/bodybysexercise *cough*

:lol:

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:02 am

do they still have music videos

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:49 am

aqua_tek wrote:nothing wrong with the 80's/early 90's. They were simpler, better times... when giant, beautiful dinosaur synths ruled the earth. (of course i'm biased).

The one thing that is indeed annoying is the fact that everyone is now an "old school enthusiast". :roll: Even if they never saw or heard the original stuff in their lifetime, up until now. :lol:

It's not special anymore :cry:
Machinesworking wrote:My guess is it will be... new romantic bullshit soon
*cough* you mean like this?

http://www.myspace.com/bodybysexercise *cough*

:lol:
No more like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv6Cr5LZStE

and this (though this is a great song IMO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCiVXigrjjQ

or this, which made me ill as a kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3P6I4pT_tVA

So super retro plastic music, not the good stuff like Ultravox, Kraftwerk, OMD, Wall of Voodoo, early Devo etc.
Dead or Alive were pretty coo though, doesn't really get any gayer! :lol:

Liking 'Beat the Goons Get the Girl' BTW! Sounds like Pendulum tho. :wink:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:10 am

Well i do like "hungry like the wolf"

and the dead or alive stuff is good for laughs (and works well in dj/live sets - yes i've played it... well, a reedited version)

"Too shy" i could live without. Always hated it.

Thanks about Beat the goons... but shut up about pendulum, no it doesnt! :x :lol:

Anyways I'm all about rehashing old school vibey stuff. Ballads, italo disco, new wave. Love all that stuff. And i do kind of like some of the plastic pop stuff from back then. Maybe because it all reminds me of my childhood. My dad used to own a surf/skate shop, and i got an overload of all this stuff from tapes he had running in the store's system... and then later from the TV's with MTV/VH1 hanging around a few corners in the store. :lol: :oops: And all the neon... and the funny pastel and neon, and geometry shapes on the clothes... and the cool polarized oakley sunglasses.

Total nostalgiafest. How i miss those days.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:52 am

Don't miss them, but I do love the phat beefy synth sounds, and some of the use of space in music from that period.

In a total pop vein, Michael Jackson obviously has no clue as to why Thriller was so huge, and IMO beyond Quincy jones being a genius it was due to the use of live musicians and classic synths. Jupiter 8 on the title track etc. You can get that in the box now, but it takes realizing that the funky less pristine sounds sometimes are the wiser choice.

AFA Pendulum, just messing with you in regards to the Prodigy thread! :wink:

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:27 am

We need another rave movement.
Summer of love.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:53 am

i thought dead or alive were mint. you spin me round was the best thing Stock aitken waterman did. saw them live in newcastle around that time, not half bad

serge_a_storms

Post by serge_a_storms » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:50 am

aqua_tek wrote:Well i do like "hungry like the wolf"

"Too shy" i could live without. Always hated it.

Anyways I'm all about rehashing old school vibey stuff. Ballads, italo disco, new wave. Love all that stuff. And i do kind of like some of the plastic pop stuff from back then. Maybe because it all reminds me of my childhood. My dad used to own a surf/skate shop, and i got an overload of all this stuff from tapes he had running in the store's system... and then later from the TV's with MTV/VH1 hanging around a few corners in the store. :lol: :oops: And all the neon... and the funny pastel and neon, and geometry shapes on the clothes... and the cool polarized oakley sunglasses.

Total nostalgiafest. How i miss those days.
Duran Were brilliant then. I was a massive fan when I was at school. Much as everybody sees them as a teeny pop throwaway band they're all good musicians who made interesting catchy pop music. John Taylor's bass playing is sooo funky. Fair enough they were a bit of a poor mans Japan but if anything I think they capitalised on Japans arty approach and took it more mainstream. Right up until the Big thing album they made some pretty interesting pop music.

Kajagoogoo on the other hand were just utter shite.
MacBook Pro i7 16gb RAM, OSX 10.11.2, Live 9.7

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Instagram

googoo

Post by googoo » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:56 pm

THE best version of the Duran Duran track :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg6bZSM48vU

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:12 pm

that was pretty cool.

The 80's were the best time for music technology, it was a decade that provided the basis of everything we are using now - MIDI, digital recording, sampling, FM (available commercially at least), Wavetable/PCM and Additive synthesis, powersynths such as the Jupiter 8, Prophet 10 and VS, Korg M1, ROland D50, Yamaha DX7, The Fairlight CMI, Synclavier and the PPG wave, drum machines that sounded a little bit like drums (and increasingly so, from the Linn at the beginning of the decade through to the Roland R8 with it's cool human rhythm features and add on ROM cards), and not just short noise bursts, multitrack recording, digital FX units, etc. and the birth of music video and MTV (oh well, you can't win them all ... ;) ) In terms of music, we got so much variation in a way never repeated since. Nowadays the top 20 songs are almost all Hip Hop, RNB, or schmaltzy pop versions flavoured with hip hop and RNB, punctuated only by releases of big selling dinosaur bands like U2. The club scene hasn't moved on for the best part of 10 years, the same old crap in the mainstream clubs and mainstream club charts as was happening 10 years ago.

If you know you're history, it's enough to make your heart go .... boooooom. The 80's were a much maligned time, but looking back, even the worst dross of that era doesn't seem so bad now, looking through my bitter, distorted rose tinted 2009 glasses.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:29 pm

leedsquietman wrote:that was pretty cool.

The 80's were the best time for music technology, it was a decade that provided the basis of everything we are using now - MIDI, digital recording, sampling, FM (available commercially at least), Wavetable/PCM and Additive synthesis, powersynths such as the Jupiter 8, Prophet 10 and VS, Korg M1, ROland D50, Yamaha DX7, The Fairlight CMI, Synclavier and the PPG wave, drum machines that sounded a little bit like drums (and increasingly so, from the Linn at the beginning of the decade through to the Roland R8 with it's cool human rhythm features and add on ROM cards), and not just short noise bursts, multitrack recording, digital FX units, etc. and the birth of music video and MTV (oh well, you can't win them all ... ;) ) In terms of music, we got so much variation in a way never repeated since. Nowadays the top 20 songs are almost all Hip Hop, RNB, or schmaltzy pop versions flavoured with hip hop and RNB, punctuated only by releases of big selling dinosaur bands like U2. The club scene hasn't moved on for the best part of 10 years, the same old crap in the mainstream clubs and mainstream club charts as was happening 10 years ago.

If you know you're history, it's enough to make your heart go .... boooooom. The 80's were a much maligned time, but looking back, even the worst dross of that era doesn't seem so bad now, looking through my bitter, distorted rose tinted 2009 glasses.
Well put
Machinesworking wrote: AFA Pendulum, just messing with you in regards to the Prodigy thread! :wink:
i know. :lol: bastard