How to program a fat bassline based on a kick?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
reddvinylene

How to program a fat bassline based on a kick?

Post by reddvinylene » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:51 am

How it is possible, using Live, to program a fat bassline based on a kick like this dude explains?

Black Milk - Interview Part 1

reddvinylene

Re: How to program a fat bassline based on a kick?

Post by reddvinylene » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:55 am

And, if done right, would it sound better or worse than Spectrasonics Trilogy?

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:55 pm

wow, I lasted about a minute before I had to turn that off

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:00 am

timothyallan wrote:wow, I lasted about a minute before I had to turn that off
The rambling doesn't get epic until about a minute-thirty. I hope he releases a series of pay tutorials.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:06 am

beats me wrote:
timothyallan wrote:wow, I lasted about a minute before I had to turn that off
The rambling doesn't get epic until about a minute-thirty. I hope he releases a series of pay tutorials.
Watch out Nick the zombie!

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:17 am

"How to program a fat bassline based on a kick?"

Find Kick sample

Load into simpler or another sampler

Play Bassline

Win

Easy, no? :lol:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:27 am

no clue, the video is long winded. TL;DW

put a sidechain compressor (like the one that comes with Live 7 and later) on the bass, set its input to be the kick drum's track. rtfm on that device, very crucial technique.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

dj_huck

Post by dj_huck » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:14 am

you suck.
thanks for wasting my time on dis joint man ya know what i'm saying dis
my shit....

nbinder

Post by nbinder » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:47 am

So he is sampling records and adding some drum samples.... where's the big deal?

reddvinylene

Post by reddvinylene » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:06 am

DJDJ wrote:"How to program a fat bassline based on a kick?"

Find Kick sample

Load into simpler or another sampler

Play Bassline

Win

Easy, no? :lol:
Hell yeah, but don't I have to make sure the sample length is the same on all keys and stuff?

reddvinylene

Post by reddvinylene » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 am

Anyone know?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:00 am

Sampler will play back multi samples so you dont need to worry about the sample length, but better still is to use a synth to programme your won bassline or tweak presets from existing synths or use some of the winningest racks put together for use in Live by the likes of Cov Ops etc.

Perhaps practice with a one note bassline? Sounds like you're starting from scratch so you've got lots of practice ahead of you!

Incy

Post by Incy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Ya you have a hill to climb... I have to guess you're looking for theory then what Live does technically. Live is a no brainer. Start with this if you wish...

Kicks tend to be on down beats, four to the floor as they say. You can mix it up a bit per your style, but odds are that a kick line will start on the down beat of 1. And so should the first note of your bass line in most cases. To start with the 'bass'ics (HAHAHAHA), keep the bass melodic line to fifths and octave intervals, maybe expand to sevenths and thirds. You can also get away with passing tones as if you were playing a blues guitar. Bass root notes are good on that down beat of one. You can use syncopation or other tensions to taste; that is to say, use a leading tone or a fifth on the up or down beat of the fourth note perhaps. Maybe let that note bleed over into the next down beat of one. (See Daft Punk's Around the World bass line). There's a Youtube video out there decontructing it). Eigth note Dub bass lines are not the same as 16th note Goa trance, so everything is about taste. Bass lines like spaces. The choice where to not play a note is also very powerful. Bass lines are big on the tension and release in the the microcosm of your track. In terms of tension, I'm not talking about a cheesy snare roll leading into the next 16 bars, the bass should be everything in regards to the nature of your musical expression... a bass track should be good enough to solo with the kit alone and be art onto itself. Drop a bass root note on the kick where it makes sense to do so. It's not a perfect science. Then you use the other intervals on upbeats or most anything. Rock bass players follow the drummer's kick only to a degree. Work with it. In short time, you'll have something you can live with.

DJDJ

Post by DJDJ » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:04 pm

Hell yeah, but don't I have to make sure the sample length is the same on all keys and stuff?
Not necessarily.

First of all, your bassline will likely only take up an octave or maybe an octave and half's worth of notes.

Second of all, it can sound really cool to have the notes be different lengths as the pitch changes-- this is a classic sound, heavily used in drum n bass--

for example: load up an 808 kick with a long decay into a simpler. Play a bassline with it, including high notes and low notes. As long as the notes don't overlap, or you set the polyphony to 1, it should sound really good. Same would be true for any other kick drum bassline.

note length is not necessarily important.

If it sounds good, it is good! :wink:

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:19 pm

DJDJ wrote:
Not necessarily.

First of all, your bassline will likely only take up an octave or maybe an octave and half's worth of notes.

Second of all, it can sound really cool to have the notes be different lengths as the pitch changes-- this is a classic sound, heavily used in drum n bass--

for example: load up an 808 kick with a long decay into a simpler. Play a bassline with it, including high notes and low notes. As long as the notes don't overlap, or you set the polyphony to 1, it should sound really good. Same would be true for any other kick drum bassline.

note length is not necessarily important.

If it sounds good, it is good! :wink:
Yep. Most Hip-Hop until the mid to late 90's had basslines made this way either an 808 sample or a Low passed filtered bass sample from a record. An 808 can be used in tons of way for basslines, smooth subbass for hip-hop tracks, crazy res filters for jungle tracks, lots of potential.