[OT] Eckhart Tolle

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rbro

Re: [OT] Eckhart Tolle

Post by rbro » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:52 am

BongoBennie wrote:Eckhart Tolle is the shit, hard to believe there is a topic in here about him, but yeah, he good.... He doesn't say you should ignore the ego, just be aware of it.
+1

rishi

Post by rishi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:10 am

This topic provided a nice distraction from work this afternoon. Thanks for that. :D Life, the universe and everything IMHHHHO is something like this …..

Eckardt Tolle is a spiritual teacher whose goal is to bring about a transformation of consciousness and the arising of a more enlightened humanity.

Ultimately most philosophies for spiritual enlightenment revolve around some form of being present or getting in touch with our essential state or nature. They have the goal of bringing about a happy frictionless life and an end to suffering and stress.

The question is – How does it work?

My understanding of the mechanics of enlightenment philosophies, such as Power of Now is essentially as follows:

The universe is one, whole, indivisible, conscious thing, also known as the Unified Field in quantum mechanics. All the laws of nature that govern all the activity in the universe spring from the unified field.

From DNA to galaxies, everything in the universe is permeated by intelligence (including natural law) contained within the Unified Field. Thus, the entire world, the entire universe is governed by laws of nature and all activity is governed by natural law.

Natural law propels life in an evolutionary direction. It is the invincible force in nature that continually creates, maintains and evolves life.

We are all governed by natural law. For example … countless laws govern the functioning of your body. If you align yourself with the functioning of those laws your body maintains its health. Violate those laws and you fall sick and suffer.

All problems originate from violations of natural law. It is a violation of natural law that causes stress. Stress and suffering in life is a direct consequence of violating natural law, regardless of whether we do it knowingly or unknowingly.

You can’t try to live in accordance with natural law. There are too many of them to consciously abide by. There is no educational system in the world that can teach you to function in accordance with the laws of nature.

Books like Power of Now & various techniques of meditation are essentially helping us to open our awareness to pure consciousness or natural law or as quantum physicists call it - the unified field. When we open our awareness to the unified field, our thoughts feelings and actions become spontaneously more in tune with the evolutionary power of natural law. The more we do it, the more it becomes part of our way of life. (Kind of like infusing cloth in dye over and over again to make it colourfast)

By harnessing the power of now we spontaneously become attuned to the need of the time (or moment or present or the now) from the fine level of feeling. Living, feeling and acting in accordance with natural law in each moment leads to greater success and satisfaction in everything we do, because it is evolutionary behaviour. If we favour natural law, natural law will favour us. We are able to do less and accomplish more by living in accordance with the laws of nature. Life becomes simpler and much more enjoyable, bringing and end to suffering and stress. It’s like being able to go with the flow all the time.

An enlightened being is somebody who has mastered the ability to harness the power of now and live in accordance with the laws of nature. 8O

rbro

Post by rbro » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:24 am

rishi wrote:This topic provided a nice distraction from work this afternoon. Thanks for that. :D Life, the universe and everything IMHHHHO is something like this …..

Eckardt Tolle is a spiritual teacher whose goal is to bring about a transformation of consciousness and the arising of a more enlightened humanity.

Ultimately most philosophies for spiritual enlightenment revolve around some form of being present or getting in touch with our essential state or nature. They have the goal of bringing about a happy frictionless life and an end to suffering and stress.

The question is – How does it work?

My understanding of the mechanics of enlightenment philosophies, such as Power of Now is essentially as follows:

The universe is one, whole, indivisible, conscious thing, also known as the Unified Field in quantum mechanics. All the laws of nature that govern all the activity in the universe spring from the unified field.

From DNA to galaxies, everything in the universe is permeated by intelligence (including natural law) contained within the Unified Field. Thus, the entire world, the entire universe is governed by laws of nature and all activity is governed by natural law.

Natural law propels life in an evolutionary direction. It is the invincible force in nature that continually creates, maintains and evolves life.

We are all governed by natural law. For example … countless laws govern the functioning of your body. If you align yourself with the functioning of those laws your body maintains its health. Violate those laws and you fall sick and suffer.

All problems originate from violations of natural law. It is a violation of natural law that causes stress. Stress and suffering in life is a direct consequence of violating natural law, regardless of whether we do it knowingly or unknowingly.

You can’t try to live in accordance with natural law. There are too many of them to consciously abide by. There is no educational system in the world that can teach you to function in accordance with the laws of nature.

Books like Power of Now & various techniques of meditation are essentially helping us to open our awareness to pure consciousness or natural law or as quantum physicists call it - the unified field. When we open our awareness to the unified field, our thoughts feelings and actions become spontaneously more in tune with the evolutionary power of natural law. The more we do it, the more it becomes part of our way of life. (Kind of like infusing cloth in dye over and over again to make it colourfast)

By harnessing the power of now we spontaneously become attuned to the need of the time (or moment or present or the now) from the fine level of feeling. Living, feeling and acting in accordance with natural law in each moment leads to greater success and satisfaction in everything we do, because it is evolutionary behaviour. If we favour natural law, natural law will favour us. We are able to do less and accomplish more by living in accordance with the laws of nature. Life becomes simpler and much more enjoyable, bringing and end to suffering and stress. It’s like being able to go with the flow all the time.

An enlightened being is somebody who has mastered the ability to harness the power of now and live in accordance with the laws of nature. 8O
Hey that's pretty good! And I ask you, isn't this something we should all be striving for? Wouldn't this world be a better place if we all sought to live in tune with the laws of nature?

rishi

Post by rishi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:30 am

Oh thanks and Yes, I think so. :-)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:44 am

rishi - wow.
rishi wrote:The universe is one, whole, indivisible, conscious thing, also known as the Unified Field in quantum mechanics.
hold up, have you actually studied quantum mechanics or any Unified theories. I don't mean reading philosophy, I mean taking a physics class. it sooooo rubs me the wrong way when people throw around these terms, as in the movie 'what the bleep do we know'.
All the laws of nature that govern all the activity in the universe spring from the unified field.
see above.
everything in the universe is permeated by intelligence
what's the intelligence? for me it's chaos, that's my 'god.'

You can’t try to live in accordance with natural law.
you cannot go against nature
because when you do
go against nature
that's part of nature too.
-Love and Rockets

that came to mind.

interesting stuff, the nature of being, very Zen which is the main philosophy I can relate to. FWIW I prefer to just live and not psych myself out.
rbro wrote:Wouldn't this world be a better place if we all sought to live in tune with the laws of nature?
meh, we're destined to destroy ourselves, it's human nature. peace on earth and human existence are mutually exclusive.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

rishi

Post by rishi » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:04 am

hold up, have you actually studied quantum mechanics or any Unified theories. I don't mean reading philosophy, I mean taking a physics class. it sooooo rubs me the wrong way when people throw around these terms, as in the movie 'what the bleep do we know'.
No physics classes. I just read some philosphy books and watched What the bleep do we know. :lol: I didnt cognise any of this directly from the unified field!!! I was trying to explain as best I could my general understanding of spiritual philosophies. Sorry that rubs you up the wrong way.
what's the intelligence? for me it's chaos, that's my 'god.'
intelligence is what has been responsible Ableton Live!
Then Chaos will be your god.
you cannot go against nature
because when you do
go against nature
that's part of nature too.
True. Thats called further research into misery and suffering which eventually leads to evolutionary behaviour.

meh, we're destined to destroy ourselves, it's human nature. peace on earth and human existence are mutually exclusive.
Maybe we are thats why there are so many poeple like Eckardt Tolle saying things like "The work of Eckhart Teachings is in response to the urgent need of our times..."

Peace !!

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:21 am

doesn't rub me wrong at all. I think you get exactly where I come from with your LOL at 'what the bleep.' in my past I've taken physics classes and some of it REALLY blew my mind, especially quantum physics. it's amazing stuff but not for everyone. it's that balance between science and philosophy. I just very much appreciate understanding the underpinnings of physics, very cool stuff.
intelligence is what has been responsible Ableton Live!
Then Chaos will be your god.
interesting. is this guy a deist or? just curious, I'm not out to change anyone's mind, it's only important to use that thing between your ears. if I'm wrong and there is a god I hope it appreciates I actually thought about it.
urgent need of our times
TBH I don't remember a time in my 36 years of living when times weren't urgent, same with older people I've talked to. the cold war scared people a LOT more than a hit to their wallet like we have today (an end to shallow consumerism?!?!) before that there was the Korean War, Viet Nam, WWII, the great depression, WWI, the civil war, the revolutionary war... (from an American point of view, there are worse stories, much worse.) stakes is always high (to take a line from De La Soul.)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:26 am

everything in the universe is permeated by intelligence
first, qualify intelligence..what about asbestos, or DDT, is that intelligent?
no-ones been able to fully qualify or quantify exactly what is "mind"
basically your whole post is a bunch of ill conceived waffle.
i everyone obeyed the "natural laws" and completely disregarded human institutions,
basically did whatever the fuck they wanted to whoever,
the world would be much worse, much much worse than it is now.
???

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:30 am

leonard wrote:first, qualify...
check out a book 'Zen and the Art Of Motorcyle Maintenance.'*

there are two basic forms of measurement, quantity and quality.

quantity is simple, count it.

quality requires a judgment, which implies intelligence.

so, don't ask 'qualify intelligence' you might as well ask 'qualify the best vanilla ice cream.' same thing.

*nevermind, it's a long fucking book.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:40 am

what the fuck is wrong with that?
dictionary.com or whatever wrote: to attribute some quality or qualities to; characterize, call, or name: She cannot qualify his attitude as either rational or irrational.
so, the guy says "the universe is permeated by intelligence"
qualify, list, state, characterise: "intelligence" ,
???

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:41 am

Tone Deft wrote:
i've heard about that book.
i prefer to read sutras, and treatises on those sutras and scriptures..
???

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:30 pm

sparklepuff wrote:He looks like a leprechaun.
He'd like to get his hands on your lucky charms, Sparkle!

rbro

Post by rbro » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:16 pm

leonard wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
i've heard about that book.
i prefer to read sutras, and treatises on those sutras and scriptures..
Perfect. They all point to the same truth essentially.

rishi

Post by rishi » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 am

Tone Deft wrote:... it REALLY blew my mind, especially quantum physics. it's amazing stuff but not for everyone. it's that balance between science and philosophy. I just very much appreciate understanding the underpinnings of physics, very cool stuff.
Same. Thats what got me inspired
is this guy a deist or? just curious,....if I'm wrong and there is a god I hope it appreciates I actually thought about it.
LOL. My readings kind of lead me to the conclusion that the unified field embodied many of the qualities that are associated with "God" - Omniscient (all pervading intelligence) & Omnipresent. So on a quantum level this is how I tend to view "God". ie: that "God" is the universe.
TBH I don't remember a time in my 36 years of living when times weren't urgent..
I think those purporting these messages of peace would agree with you. They all seem to say that we really do have the ability to destroy ourselves and to survive we need to urgently rid the world of stress.
first, qualify intelligence..what about asbestos, or DDT, is that intelligent?
The intelligence which holds even the most basic atomic structure together is absolutely mind boggling.

The chemical formula of white asbestos - Mg3(Si2O5)(OH)4. Every atom contains some number of protons (positively-charged particles) in a centrally-located lump called the nucleus, as well as some neutrons (which have no charge) which also reside in the nucleus. The number of protons determines what kind of element it is: hydrogen, the simplest atom, has one proton. Around the nucleus are the negatively-charged electrons. Their presence gives rise to a host of electrical effects and helps, in part, to explain the chemical bonds which hold together molecules, crystals, and other substances.

Even more mind boggling is the quantum level. Some of the best minds in the world today can demonstrate the characteristics of this level which include consciousness and intelligence. Authors like Paul Davies, John Gribben, Bill Bryson, Deepak Chopra, Fred A. Wolf explain this in detail. I can only para-phrase…

Beyond the atomic level is the quantum level of consciousness. At the essential core of all matter is information and energy. Quantum Field theorists can now demonstrate the Consciousness is information and energy that has become alive with self-referral. That is consciousness is information that responds to feedback, which is also information. Through this self-referral loop, consciousness influences its own expression and in this process, consciousness becomes intelligence.
basically your whole post is a bunch of ill conceived waffle.
It may not be perfect. It’s the best I could do to explain my understanding of a small part of the philosophies of the greatest minds in the world today. Forgive me if I cannot clearly articulate that in a few sentences.

If you intend to denounce those philosophies put forward by the greatest minds of our time and the most revered masters of the ages perhaps consider becoming an absolute expert in all of these areas first. If you are already an expert, I invite you to expertly explain to us and the world why these great theorists and masters are incorrect and finally you can kindly grace us with your own philosophy of life, the universe and everything for us all to understand and learn from.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 am

Eckhart Kicks ass, and I have been very lucky to witness him speak a couple of years ago.