Security and on-line purchasing...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cellomangler

Security and on-line purchasing...

Post by Cellomangler » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:06 pm

I'm not very comfortable with the lack of encryption on the credit card info data entry page of the on-line, downloadable upgrade for Live 4. I had already attempted it before realizing the non-encryption, but, even then, my info failed, though I'm certain I don't have credit problems. Anyone else have problems or are also concerned about the security of Ableton's on-line purchase system ?

snt

Post by snt » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:15 pm

tried several times today to get the upgrade but the credit card authorization always fails. there's absolutely nothing wrong with the card.

D K

Post by D K » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:46 pm

used my card for upgrade with no problem....
buying anything over the net scares me....

Cellomangler

Know why refused....followup..

Post by Cellomangler » Sun Jul 25, 2004 12:00 am

Ok...my credit card company was responsible for refusing the purchase as it was an out of country charge and raised a red flag....which is a good thing. But you must contact them to allow the charge to go through. If you only do a few foreign transactions, this is not too much to go through for the protection. I'm still unsure of the encryption system Ableton uses as I would expect the actual card data entry page to be encrypted.
There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:10 am

Hi Cellomangler,

all transaction data inside the shop is 128-bit-SSL-secured by TrustCenter (See the first page on the right when you enter the upgrade shop). You will not see a lock on your browser because of frames. However, be assured that the inner frame is SSL secured. You can see that a site is SSL-encrypted when the URL starts with not only "http" but "https". When you enter the shop you should watch out for the URL of the inner frame. To do so depends on your browser. Often a right click with something like "frame info" or so shows you the url.

Kind regards, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

euterke

Post by euterke » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:58 pm

I just tired to purchase a copy with the online shop.

After I gave all the credit card info and press the PAY button... it refresh the page with no futher information.

Is it normal ?

It could be nice to add some step info like a small notification on how many step we have to pass thru. like 1/4, 2/4, 3/4...

mike85021

Re: Security and on-line purchasing...

Post by mike85021 » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:14 pm

Cellomangler wrote:... Anyone else have problems or are also concerned about the security of Ableton's on-line purchase system ?
It wouldn't accept either of my AmEx cards, but finally took Visa, which isn't what I wanted to use. There was nothing wrong with my AmEx accounts. I emailed Live Ableton about it.

loophead

Post by loophead » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:46 pm

The texts lists the cards it will take. Even though theres an amex logo it would not take mine either...visa worked with no issues.
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Sun Jul 25, 2004 7:48 pm

euterke wrote:I just tired to purchase a copy with the online shop.

After I gave all the credit card info and press the PAY button... it refresh the page with no futher information.

Is it normal ?

It could be nice to add some step info like a small notification on how many step we have to pass thru. like 1/4, 2/4, 3/4...
I had the same problem-I hit the back button on my browser and hit Pay again-it went to the billing page that time and went through.
ew

martin

Post by martin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:00 am

snt wrote:tried several times today to get the upgrade but the credit card authorization always fails. there's absolutely nothing wrong with the card.
Hi Snt,

could you please specify what exactly went wrong with your payment? What sort of error code did you receive?

Best,
martin

Martin

Post by Martin » Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:06 am

loophead wrote:The texts lists the cards it will take. Even though theres an amex logo it would not take mine either...visa worked with no issues.
Hi loophead,

from time to time, AMEX cards from outside europe will not work with the ableton webshop. In most cases, the issuing bank blocks these foreign transactions.

If you write an e-mail about this to orders@ableton.com, we will try to solve this issue asap.

Best,
Martin

azmills

Post by azmills » Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:51 pm

I looked for https: when I made my purchase but it wasn't there. The page said it was encrypted and it's ableton so I trusted it and went through with the purchase.

Should I be worried?
AZ Mills: Dual 2.7gig G5, 5gig RAM, MBP 2.2gig C2D, 4gig RAM, Novation ReMote 25, Live 8 suite, Logic Pro 8 Studio, NI Maschine 1.6, various hardware & software

bangaio

Post by bangaio » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:45 am

Just to point out that internet security is nothing to be worried about. You guys should be more worried everytime you pay using your credit card in a restaurant or something like that.

Martin

Post by Martin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:02 am

azmills wrote:I looked for https: when I made my purchase but it wasn't there. The page said it was encrypted and it's ableton so I trusted it and went through with the purchase.

Should I be worried?
Hi Azmills,

this is because of the architecture of our website: Only the main frame is SSL-secured, not the whole site. This is why you do not see the Encryption-Symbol in your browser.

To check this, please enter the shop, go to checkout (ssl), right-click the main frame and select "properties" or "frame properties" from the context menu.

You will see our SSL-certificate there.

Best regards and sorry for the inconvenience,

Martin

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:46 am

I tried to order my upgrade using Safari, and it returned an error (can't rememer what) twice right at the end after I input my credit card info. I gave up and tried IE, it worked no problem. Might be a safari issue?

I was only charged once though.