M-Audio Axiom 49

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
BIG CRABS

M-Audio Axiom 49

Post by BIG CRABS » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 pm

I have a M-Audio Axiom 49 and use Ableton. Does anyone use the Axiom with Ableton? If so how do you program all of the faders, knobs and stop, play, record buttons?

jok

Re: M-Audio Axiom 49

Post by jok » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Hi BIG CRABS,
download our Axiom tutorial pack, unzip it and install it by double-clicking:
http://downloads.ableton.com/packs/50/a ... torial.zip
You´ll find it in in Live´s Lessons section thereafter.
Best,
Jörg
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

BIG CRABS

Post by BIG CRABS » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:35 pm

jok wrote:Hi BIG CRABS,
Best,
Jörg
I tried that and followed the MIDI mapping rules and most of my sliders and knobs work, but the stop, play, ff, etc. do not map. Also when I map a control to a knob, it controls all the effects and not just the one I assigned it to.

channelite

Post by channelite » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:40 pm

In your midi preferences, use Axiom 49 classic, and then press the dump button to send the presets to the Axiom. On the Axiom, use preset 18-20 for Live.

Go to this link for detailed instructions:

http://www.modulatethis.com/2007/05/how ... _the_.html

Edit: The article focuses on the Axiom 25, but also works with the Axiom 49.

BIG CRABS

Post by BIG CRABS » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:31 pm

Thank you channelite, that helped a lot. I'm also wondering how to set the pads as one instruments like the drums and the keys as something completely different.

channelite

Post by channelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:08 am

I believe you can do this with the Zones feature. The keys, pads and knobs are each on their own zone. Each zone can be set to the global midi channel (all channels) or individual channels. If the keys have a different midi channel then the pads, in Live you can specify what the input instrument is for that midi track. Instead of All Instruments, select Axiom channel 1 or what ever channel you selected for the keys or pads. The Axiom user has the details to set up Zones. Maybe a little confusing.

Edit: I think you also need to use Groups. Check out page 28 in the Axiom user guide.

Edit again: After messing around with the Axiom 25, Live preset 18, I discovered the pad are on midi channel 10 and the keyboard zone 1 is on midi channel 1. So in Live, have your drum tracks midi input Axiom channel 10 and the synth tracks midi input Axiom channel 1. By default Live uses all midi inputs for midi tracks, thus causing the pads to trigger the snyth, vice versa.
Last edited by channelite on Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:29 am

My m-audio-theory:

They laugh at you. The axiom (same as the audio drivers for m-audio-soundcards) has been developed with one main purpose: Make upcoming producers stop producing and getting them into endless sessions of programming your controller. They even called the software "Enigma" (!!!). Believe me, the developers laugh at you.

They probably got payed by Daft Punk or so, just to avoid that too many people actually make music.

We sold ours after half a year.

trommelmeister

Post by trommelmeister » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:58 am

pepezabala wrote:My m-audio-theory: They laugh at you. ...
Thank you for saying this loudly. I possess an Axiom 49, and while I would say that it is ok generally, I did ask myself several times why configuring this thing seemed always so complicated to me. Up to now I thought that is because I am not too experienced and that MIDI is just not too easy. But maybe it is also because the Axiom 49 is not designed too userfriendly.

But ... what alternative to the Axiom would you recommend?

TIA Martin

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:06 pm

I have a used no-brand midikeyboard for playing keys. and a nanokontrol for faders/knobs.

trommelmeister

Post by trommelmeister » Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:19 pm

pepezabala wrote:I have a used no-brand midikeyboard for playing keys. and a nanokontrol for faders/knobs.
Ok, thanks, will check out the nanoKontrol thingies. Regards, Martin

channelite

Post by channelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:26 pm

After having the Axiom 25 for almost two years and coming close to selling it, I really like it now. Especially Live's Axiom Classic presets 18-20. It took time to get to know the Axiom. I agree that it's not that user friendly, but not that hard to figure out. Presets 18-20 have a bunch of great mappings IMO and changing the global midi channel moves the controllers to the next eight tracks and so on. I spend most of the time using presets 19 and 20, changing the midi channel from 1 to 3 depending on the size of the song. Again once I learned how to use, I think it's pretty good.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:03 pm

channelite wrote:After having the Axiom 25 for almost two years and coming close to selling it, I really like it now. Especially Live's Axiom Classic presets 18-20. It took time to get to know the Axiom. I agree that it's not that user friendly, but not that hard to figure out. Presets 18-20 have a bunch of great mappings IMO and changing the global midi channel moves the controllers to the next eight tracks and so on. I spend most of the time using presets 19 and 20, changing the midi channel from 1 to 3 depending on the size of the song. Again once I learned how to use, I think it's pretty good.
I use the A49 and really like it. I have never had problem mapping it, but my midi needs may not be as critical as some.

BIG CRABS

Post by BIG CRABS » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:37 pm

channelite wrote:After having the Axiom 25 for almost two years and coming close to selling it, I really like it now. Especially Live's Axiom Classic presets 18-20. It took time to get to know the Axiom. I agree that it's not that user friendly, but not that hard to figure out. Presets 18-20 have a bunch of great mappings IMO and changing the global midi channel moves the controllers to the next eight tracks and so on. I spend most of the time using presets 19 and 20, changing the midi channel from 1 to 3 depending on the size of the song. Again once I learned how to use, I think it's pretty good.
Can you make you own mapping and save them to the A49 presets? If yes, how?

channelite

Post by channelite » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:40 pm

I think it'd be better make your favorite setup in Live, then save default set in the preferences. You can make your own Axiom setup, IMO, sticking with presets 18-20 makes life easier..

superfox

Post by superfox » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:45 pm

jok wrote:Hi BIG CRABS,
Best,
Jörg

Thanks Jorg!

downloading the tutorial now.

-sergio