All times are UTC

Post subject: tascam and osx
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:16 am 
hi;
many folks on here have suggested the tascam usb audio interfaces.
has anyone used these tascam interfaces with live and reason 2.0 in mac osX?
am i wasting my time or should i g to os 9.2 for reliable performance with just live and reason?

thanks for all the help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:03 am 

hi there astromass

i run LIVE and a demo of reason on a Tascam us428

great. no problems ever.

"Just Live and reason"

nothing much else is available anyway!

Well, a few audio apps. And Sibelius (music notation)

But yes, good machines, and the drivers are great. You can set latency to 1 ms - how good is that for USB, on OS 9 the lowest is about 9 ms.

Only downside is only stereo out, but if you don't need another headphone bus then go for it.

And if laptopping, look into the 228 - powered by USB.

Everytime I boot back to 9 for Cubase I hate it, because if something goes wrong then it's all over.

something weird did happen today though, when my cpu got high and i had some 'strange' vsts in the path i lost the main sound out bus. had to reload live to sort problem.

ABLETON, any of you guys know about this. I assume it's a Live problem..

I run it on a 667 TiBook. Good combo. audio, MIDI and controller in one small bag.

happy to answer any questions

Post subject: tascam
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:09 pm 
hey songcarver, thanks for the information! the tascam does indeed seem a winner from my research and fro your reply. latency as low as a ms makes me drool. i switched over to mac back in march with my ibook 600 and then recently purchased the new emac (a studio disguised as a family computer...clever me!). so far i really have been impressed with osX stability and apps like itunes and iphoto, and especially imovie, since i have a mini dv cam. audio has been a nightmare! i started my switch with a jump to os9.2 and that was a uge mistake. if u are a windows user for MANY years, os9.2 is confusing as hell...at first. then i went to osX coz of LIVE and now reason 2.0 is so cool...i just CANNOT seem to get hold of an audio interface that doesnt drive me FRIGGIN NUTS!!!

this morning i hooked up my edirol ua-3, just to see if it would work after many failed attempts with reason 2.0, and it worked FLAWLESSLY.....for about three minutes...cut off...bang...no sound. then it wouldnt work in LIVE, then it would work in LIVE after restarting the software....ARGH

i have also tried the iMic, the edirol ua-5, and the m-audio duo, on BOTH machines, and i have NEVER gotten any sort of reliable audio dependability! always pops and cuts in both recordings AND playback. it is a nightmare having a system that u can't trust, especially since my windows celeron systems were sampling better!

thanks for all your help. sorry to rant and rave...
i think that i'll save up the dough for the tascam. i probably will only need the us224, but i am sure that it works as well as it's big brother. think so?

thanks .../\5+R()m@$$

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:43 pm 

sorry to hear all those problems astromass

traditionally the mac has been a plug and play device with music.

However the transition to OS X audio has been preeeetty bumbpy for most as far as i can see.

That will be cleaned up in 10.2, me thinks.

but for a working solution now, i would definantly check out the tascams.

very nice, reliable.

I haven't tried the 224, i assume it would work as well as the 428.

You loose 2 ins, a few controllers, and some midis but it could be worthwhile.

I bought mine on a special, have a lookk around for stores that may buy them in bulk.

I don't know what they put in those emacs, maybe something there is a problem...