music school, self taught or a slob?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

what route did you take?

music school, it was great
50%
music school, it was worthless
No votes
music school dropout, it wasn't worth it
13%
no school but I'm confident in saying that I'm a good producer
13%
no school, no chops, no worries
25%

Total votes: 8

sweetjesus

Re: did you go to music school or are you a solid producer?

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:14 pm

djsynchro wrote:It's spelt s.k.o.o.l and I didn't know you were Finnish, I thought you Australian.
Anyhow, I went to a performaning arts high school, didn't get the diploma, learnt to roll joints but the arty farty bits were good preparation for being on stage. Learnt preoducing engineering by reading stuff, practicing, talking to other engineers, questioning everything I read did and heard, still do.

i could have taught u how to roll joints... all in return for ur art school tuition fees!

fuck, ur from amsterdam and u had to go to school to learn how to roll a joint? don't they teach u that in preschool there?

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:34 pm

djsynchro wrote:It's spelt s.k.o.o.l and I didn't know you were Finnish, I thought you Australian.
Anyhow, I went to a performaning arts high school, didn't get the diploma, learnt to roll joints but the arty farty bits were good preparation for being on stage. Learnt preoducing engineering by reading stuff, practicing, talking to other engineers, questioning everything I read did and heard, still do.
HOLLANDER!
Leer Engels man ;)
Kidding.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:14 am

Actually I still suck at rolling joints and I don't smoke anymore yucky.
But yeah I got high in high school a lot we were allowed to spliff up after 4, earlier on Wednesdays, which were half days and then we had even more diverse classes (music cooking photography modern dance drama) on top of the already colourful standard set, on Wednesday my biology teacher would send one of us to a coffeeshop to get a piece of hash and smoke with us. How's that for liberal!!!!!! They were on the verge of getting shut down at the time I was there because nobody was learning anything they moved to a new building and reorganised, probably for the better. Man was it fun there, especially after dropping out of a "normal" school with a bunch of fascist teachers. :D :D :D :D

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:26 am

Some of each for me. I did a music technology course that taught me a LOT about MIDI, and using analog consoles and mic positioning etc back in the early 90's, in the times when ADATS were just coming in. Definately engineering techniques and micing were something that I learned a lot. However, I was already pretty confident just from reading books and doing my own recordings for 5 years prior to this on portastudios etc. I more recently did 2 mastering courses, which again, I enjoyed immensely and learned some important stuff, but with the wealth of knowledge on the web and connections and great material such as Bob Katz's 'Mastering Audio : The Art And The Science' nothing that you couldn't eventually learn on your own time for a lot less money, albeit, having to put a lot more time and effort in with researching and trial and error.

If you really have the desire and the skills to do well, pretty much anyone with the drive and determination to learn, even with a modest setup, can achieve a lot. Education is key, but you can acquire that for yourself if you have the time and will to learn. A lot of music courses are just BS cashgrabs, that promise you the world and deliver very little, if anything, in return. It's like hiring a builder to renovate your house. Finding the good guys, among a rash of cowboys, is not easy.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

simpleton

Post by simpleton » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:07 am

yes, I produce some solid sh*t. :D
The Leveller wrote:Wow, a weird shaped dead coral with sh!t stuck to it. Proof indeed of supernatural abilities.

Chang

Post by Chang » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:02 am

Piano lessons from age 7-15 classically trained (if thats music school?) Fortunate enough to have friends/family in recording business. Learned hands on mixing from age 16. Worked in many studios. Studied with Tom Dowd for a year right before his death. Producer/composer/sound designer for film and TV.

The question is easily skewed. What does it matter?

And the question itself make no sense as it proves nothing to outcome.

Define - "solid producer".

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:23 am

I produce mostly solid shit, except for when I had that stomach flu a few weeks ago…
Unsound Designer

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:01 am

I think 2 or 3 semesters is all that's needed. These 2 year or more high tuition shcoolz are not necessary. What works is doing it a thousand times. Get the gear, go to a JC for the basics and make tracks while you're studying. The certificate or degree won't mean squat unless your doing audio for the fbi or yada yada. Music production is all about repetitive motion with what does and doesn't work until you get feel and speed. I think that will get you paid. imho

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:13 am

Chang wrote:The question is easily skewed. What does it matter?

And the question itself make no sense as it proves nothing to outcome.

Define - "solid producer".
it was awkwardly worded post after an awkward reply I made to this thread.
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=109220
what to tell people when they ask about music schools.

there are two paths with three outcomes, well, four outcomes because the poll sucks too
1 - you never went to music school and you have no production chops. Live is fun stfu.
2 - you have production chops but you never went to Production Chops School Inc.
3 - you went to Production Chops Inc. and you credit it with your production chops.
4 - you went to Production Chops Inc. and found that it just wasn't worth it.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tone Deft

Re: music school, self taught or a slob?

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:25 am

so, new forum software.

I edited the poll, and vote count was reset. bug?

Diebold phpBB??
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz