After beta testing for some time-Will you upgrade to Live 8?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Will you be upgrading to Live 8?

No way
2%
Probably not / I'm in no hurry
11%
Probably sooner or later
19%
YES! Bring it on!
68%

Total votes: 96

ashtonron

Re: After beta testing for some time-Will you upgrade to Live 8?

Post by ashtonron » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:02 pm

REkz wrote: ** Ableton programming geniuses, have you considered making more and more modules that work with all versions of Ableton Live? Maybe 'finalizing' a framework for awhile? Maybe even release source code for other developers, that kind of thing? That might be another way of expanding your business ... rather than redoing the whole framework when the original framework was already quite robust AND fun. Just an idea.*
I think that is what Max for live is all about
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

skipkent

Post by skipkent » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:34 pm

Can't say that I'll buy it, but group tracks are great. Finally have a place to store those alternate takes. Multiple select is nice too.

Is that true about re-setting the network card and having to re-authorize? That's bad if true. Should hope they'd fix that before releasing.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
Ableton Live 8
Reaper
EMU Tracker USB
Line6 Toneport

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Emissary wrote:i would say definitely if they hadnt fupped up with the new authorizing system, which is ridiculous, you have to unlock live 8 twice on the same computer if you want to disable/ enable you network card, genius. Bah..Still getting it anyway.
is this on pc? seems a bit stupid for sure.
when i was using pc doing a live show by myself i'd have it disabled to save resources.
think it's not the same on mac though as i have turned on and off my wireless card a good few times and plugged in the Ethernet
for networking 2 laptops and had no problems....
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:06 pm

disabling the wlan card/chip is no problem. What I read somewhere in the beta bugs forum was that someone had a USB 3G modem and removing that made him have to re-authorize.

rpc9943

Post by rpc9943 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:41 am

totally. i just was floored trying out the zoom on my eeepc.. aww yeah. so hot.

but even if for that and the crossfading, it brings me right back to how tracktion worked. so im gonna be allll set :)

RonC
http://theconsolationproject.bandcamp.com
Influenced by The Cure, Smiths, early Verve, My Bloody Valentine, Radiohead, Red House Painters, Cocteau Twins, The Church.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:33 am

Live 8 roools! (drools)

Seriously this is the best update imo .. So much goodness.. I haven't had time to be on he forum!!

So far I've found..
Vocoder is cool, Looper rocks, the new effects are rad, Group tracks take the biscuit, Operator is divine, Coloring tracks is ace, Zoom is the boom, the new warp tech is much nicer, also prefer the new midi editing... What else?

Yeah, I'm deffo going to upgrade..

Happy bunny here!!

Hd

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:08 am

Dexes wrote:disabling the wlan card/chip is no problem. What I read somewhere in the beta bugs forum was that someone had a USB 3G modem and removing that made him have to re-authorize.

This isnt totally correct. It doesnt happen on mac for sure, (you can turn airport off with no need for re auth) but i have a pci network card that is always installed (obviosuly), i have to enable it, load live and then turn it off. I would unlock offline but that means if i ever wanted to do share sets then i would have to re auth to do so. I havent tried beta 18 yet, so will have a look today. I have mentioned it on the beta boards but no one seems to care :cry:

photonal

Post by photonal » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:59 am

If Ableton do a Hartz IV Special, e.g.

Upgrade to Ableton Suite (Download) EUR 199
or
Upgrade to Ableton Suite (Boxed) EUR 249
or
Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Download) EUR 99
or
Live 7 to Live 8 Upgrade (Box) EUR 139

then definately.

Considering global economic conditions, I find the current Upgrade prices too much.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:49 pm

More than likely, yes. If only for the MIDI tweaks, and 'workflow' details. The looper will, undoubtably, be cool, too.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

REkz

Post by REkz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:28 pm

Max -- wow. Actually, max is not a 'module' as much as a limited 'development environment'.
I've seen Max before, actually, but not w/Live. I'm excited to see this mix & think it's a great idea.

In a way, this opens Ableton up even further to the development community. Good job Ableton!

So how do we share MAX modules? This will be key for Ableton to really exploit this functionality.
Ideally MAX will be included w/Live. If they have to buy MAX, hopefully it comes with a ton of effects people can plug in & try really quickly, and tweak, like most Ableton plugins.

Also will require engineer oversite of some sort b/c chances for undesired feedback loops jumps way up, no?

I think for MODULES I was thinking more about new FRONT END plugins... but I guess this covers both a bit?

REkz

Post by REkz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:32 pm

REkz wrote:Max -- wow.
Um, I don't see this functionality available in the Beta 8 I've downloaded. The CEO demo's it in Audio Effects. Has anyone installed & used MAX? Any tips?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:40 pm

REkz wrote:
Um, I don't see this functionality available in the Beta 8 I've downloaded. The CEO demo's it in Audio Effects. Has anyone installed & used MAX? Any tips?
It's a separate product. Beta will be handled by Cycling74. Still only in alpha testing as far as I know.

.m

audiofeen

Post by audiofeen » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:45 pm

REkz wrote:

that's because it's not a public alpha/ beta yet.
it's cycling 74 product so the have there own alpha/ beta testing going.
http://www.soundcloud.com/mikewolf
Live setup: Macbook pro 3ghz 16gb ram, Live 8.x.x, max 4 live, Mpc 1000, Komplete 7, Circle, Akai apc40, Motu ultralite, Krk Vxt8's, and soon a Innerclock Systems sync gen.